shape
carat
color
clarity

Help a noob out please.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hylander3311

Rough_Rock
Well a noob in love would be the better statement. I want to find the perfect ring to ask my love to marry me with. I found a diamond on Blue Nile that i would like some feedback from you guys about. This is the website. About a .6 carat signature ideal cut. D VS1 idk what some of these things actually mean but i know that excellent being in the categories means its good lol but i chose the VS1 because neither i nor my soon to be fiance are experts and i can get a larger diamond that will look brilliant to us for less. Am i being stupid or smart lol i have no clue just tell me what you guys think of this stone please!!

THANKS!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/14/2009 12:39:43 AM
Author:hylander3311
Well a noob in love would be the better statement. I want to find the perfect ring to ask my love to marry me with. I found a diamond on Blue Nile that i would like some feedback from you guys about. This is the website. About a .6 carat signature ideal cut. D VS1 idk what some of these things actually mean but i know that excellent being in the categories means its good lol but i chose the VS1 because neither i nor my soon to be fiance are experts and i can get a larger diamond that will look brilliant to us for less. Am i being stupid or smart lol i have no clue just tell me what you guys think of this stone please!!

THANKS!
The diamond in question really needs further evaluation with an Idealscope image but BN won''t provide them. Also don''t assume because a diamond has an Excellent Cut grade that it is automatically a good looking diamond as that isn''t always the case. As Mrs W says you could lower your colour and clarity if you wished and still have a very white and clean diamond if the cut is good.

phildominator

Rough_Rock
Might I suggest going to some b&m stores and comparing stones of different color and clarity?

From your original post, it sounds like you''re not comfortable distinguishing the difference between, say, a "D" color or "H" color.

Same thing with clarity between VS1 and SI1.

I recommend this to help ensure you put your money in the category that means the most to you.

Why put more money into the color if you can''t tell the difference? Instead you could put that money into enhancing a different specification.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto all of the above advice/info. I''ll add one more thing. If you go to look at stones first, make sure you look at well cut, as that can influence whether warmth will show more, or less in a diamond. Hearts on Fire stones would be good. And make cut your top priority, that will make the diamond dazzle you far more than color and clarity.
28.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results