shape
carat
color
clarity

Help a newbee out Please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bgirl

Rough_Rock

Hi!

Could someone help me out? My mother in law has an old Appraisal of a ring. When we try to get it appraised now, we''ve been told that it is not worth any more than it was 20 years ago!

Here are the specs:

a .33ct diamond ring, old amstredam diamond having vvs clarity and H color, weighing 3.7gm.

I have no idea how much this is worth, butI don''t want to get ripped off. Anyone with some info would be a big help!

Thanks!

20.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Are you expecting it to have gone up in value? I''m afraid that unless it''s a rare piece the odds are pretty slim.

Bgirl

Rough_Rock
Not necessarily, but I''ve been told that they don''t cut diamonds that way anymore, so it is only worth 1100.00$. What do you think?
28.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Bgirl,

What do you mean by ‘worth’?

An appraisal, by it’s nature, is speculating about a hypothetical transaction. The values can vary tremendously depending on the details of the transaction being described because the same item will be sold for very different prices depending on other variables. It’s quite possible that the question being answered by the appraiser 20 years ago is not the same as the question that was answered the appraiser you spoke with recently. The appraiser should be happy to explain to you what their values mean. Often this is included in the text of the document itself. You mentioned a concern about being ‘ripped off’. Are you in the process of buying or selling this ring and using this appraisal as a basis for a decision? Did the appraiser know that this was the question?

It’s true that diamond cutting styles have changed substantially in the last few decades and that certain cuts are more popular than others but there are definitely customers who are seeking ‘older’ style cuts.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results