by Meganmalieh » Jun 14, 2019 Hello everyone! I need some advice on how to proceed. I took my engagement ring with a 2.12 carat unheated Montana sapphire into a local jeweler to have the prongs repaired (Not the jeweler who originally set the stone). They had it for about a week and a half and when I got it back, the culet was broken off. I don't even know how they would have done this. Anyway, after initially trying to imply that somehow it was damaged already (it wasn't), his bench called me and apologized, said they sent it out to have the work done, she didn't loupe it before or after, and that they had an appraiser coming in later that month and that they would have it looked at and then we would proceed from there. After the date they had given me, I called them to see how things were proceeding and they told me that they were trying to source a new stone for me, were having some trouble matching the color, but that they believed they had found a stone and they would have it within the week. I said "Will it be a Seafoam Green, Unheated, American Cut Montana Sapphire over two carats with a brilliant pavillion and checkerboard-cut crown?" to which the jeweler responded "Yeah, everything you just said." :roll About 6 days after that, they called me, told me that the stone would be there in a couple of days and that they'd like to go ahead and set it in my ring. I told him absolutely not, that I would be coming in with my husband to inspect the stone before any further action was taken. A few days go by, and my husband decides to stop in and grab my setting and broken stone only to find that it isn't there - they have sent it off to have MY STONE re cut without my permission. I told them that this was completely unacceptable. They told me "it'll be fine, it'll be just the way it was." I'm livid, but of course, I need to wait until the next day to get my stone back. We went in today to pick up the stone. He assured us the carat loss was under 1%. We checked it under a loupe and weighed it on a high-end Tanita carat scale....you guys, it's now less than 2 carats. 1.98 to be specific. The pavilion is no longer brilliant style but keeled I asked to see the receipt for the cut, and he refused to show me even though he had told me that he would over the phone. I asked him to email me some information, he refused. I asked him to only communicate with me through e-mail, he refused. I am so upset. He ruined my stone. I mean, I guess at least he had the damage cut out, but I would have had it done by someone specific if I had decided to go that route. I didn't get to decide. My husband put so much effort into picking out this stone, this color, this specific size for my vintage setting. I didn't have an appraisal done before which I now know was so stupid. We have the receipts for the stone, for its re-cut by Jerry Newman, including its size, weight, dimensions, etc. What would you do? Can/should I seek legal action? Is there some governing body I can report him to? Do I just suck it up and accept my smaller stone? I would be so grateful for any and all advice. Thanks in Advance!