shape
carat
color
clarity

Help-- A. Jaffe Setting from Robbins Bros?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cheryllynn

Rough_Rock
Hello all,
First time posting but I''ve lurked around a bit and read several threads.... thanks for all of the helpful information!

My fiance proposed in Februrary and upon the advice of pricescope, purchased my diamond and setting from Dimend SCAASI, located in the Jewelry District downtown Chicago. I don''t know what he paid but I''m sure he got a great price on the diamond.

When he proposed he gave me the diamond in a solitare setting, as the setting he picked out wasn''t ready.

Approximately a month later the setting was ready and I picked it up from Dimend. The setting is BEAUTIFUL and my fiance did a wonderful job picking out exactly what I (thought) I wanted....

After seeing it in person, it didn''t look the way I thought it would or the way it did in photographs- their were things about it that I just didn''t like once it was on my finger. The diamond he purchased is approximately 1.5 carat, and the setting made it seem small and for the most part, didn''t really showcase the diamond.

We discussed it and since Dimend has a 30 day return policy, we decided to return or exchange it.

Now--- because I wanted to look around some more and see what I like on my finger, I stopped by Robbins Bros in Bucktown (downtown Chicago) and tried on settings. We had gone around and looked at settings prior to the engagement, but now that I knew I didn''t like my current setting I went again.

I understand everyone''s complaints with this store, and am sure their actual diamond prices are terrible, but for the most part my experience was very enjoyable. I tried on tons of settings and the salespeople were very nice and helpful. They weren''t pushy at all.

I fell in love with two designer settings- one is by A. Jaffe, the other by Simon G.

Robbins Bros said they let you bring in your own diamond if you purchase a setting there (some places don''t allow this). The prices seemed good too.

I went back to Dimend and told them I wasn''t happy with the setting, and they were very helpful too. I looked through ALL of their settings and we discussed a custom design. I didn''t find any I liked, and am very hesitant to do a custom setting. I am sure they''d do a great job and I know you get to see a mold first, but with how picky I''ve been I just don''t want to go through all that and not have it look the way I want it to. Especially since I found the ring I really like! (The A. Jaffe one)

So here''s the dilemma- I basically just want to go buy the A. Jaffe design from Robbins Bros. Dimend said they would give me a full refund on the setting we purchased from them, and the Robbins Bros setting is actually less expensive.

However- I''m very hesitant based on all of the bad reviews and bad experiences from this store.

I can''t find any other jewelers in Illinois that sell A. Jaffe designs, and would rather not order it from a jeweler out of state when there''s a place a mile from my house that sells it!

Does anyone have any positive reviews for Robbins Bros? Any positive experiences?

Or, does anyone have any positive reviews for A. Jaffe ring designs?

Any advice?

Help, please! Our 30 day return policy window for Dimend SCAASI is ending in a few days so I need to hurry up and make a decision, once and for all.

Thank you in advance!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't have first hand experiance with Robbins Bros. so I can't help you there. Hopefully others will chime in and you can always search them here for feedback on old threads. I will however recommend at least checking with Pearlmans, I know they are not local but only a couple hours drive away in Michigan
2.gif
and they carry A Jaffe and are known for their exceptional customer service. Their pricing is usually the most competitive and they will price match plus give you an extra 10% off if you find a setting somewhere cheaper. I acutally purchased my ring from them and I'm in TN. I do however understand if you want to buy local and if robbins bros. was a positive experience for you, i'd take the refund on your old setting and maybe give them a try.

oh and welcome to pricescope
35.gif

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If your stone is properly insured before being set by Robbin Bros, I don''t really see a problem with having them set it in the A. Jaffe setting you want. Have the ring appraised after they set it by an independent appraiser (not affiliated with any jewellery store, or in the business of selling diamonds) to make sure there was no damage done during setting and for peace of mind that it is indeed the same stone. Seems like it would be a lot easier going to a place so close to home if the service is good there.

cheryllynn

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the responses.

I think we''ll find out what the policy is on the diamond from Dimend, then go back into Robbins Bros and find out how much they''ll charge us to set our stone in their setting.

We''re from Michigan, so we''ll also contact Pearlman''s and some other Michigan Jewelers who carry A. Jaffe and see what their pricing and turnaround time would be.

Thanks again for your help- and if anyone has any other opinions they would be greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results