shape
carat
color
clarity

Help a guy out?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vertigo

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I was hoping to get some feedback from the people around here who know more about diamonds than I''ll ever know! My girlfriend and I were in a mall a few monhts ago and came across this gorgeous 3 stone ring
30.gif
that she absolutely loved at Bailey Banks and Biddle - i think it was called 3 stone Arctic Circle ring. Anyway, the price was a little beyond me, and I figured I wasn''t going to buy from a mall retailer ...
26.gif

I think the Vatche 3 stone truffle is very similar to this ring style, and I''m looking at the following stones from GoodOldGold (seems to be a fave around here):

http://www.goodoldgold.com/stud_pair_0_808cttw__g_vs2_h%26a.htm
http://www.goodoldgold.com/0_808ct_d_vs1_h%26a.htm

What do you think about these stones? Will there be a noticable color diff bte the F center and the G side stones? Also, what clarity can I go down to before there is a visible difference? VS2? What about the GemEx analysis - is there a way to find a stone that pegs white, color and scintillation? Too many questions....argh....

Thanks in advance for any input!!!!!!!
36.gif

StonesThrow

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/13/2006 7:16:16 PM
Author:vertigo
Will there be a noticable color diff bte the F center and the G side stones? Also, what clarity can I go down to before there is a visible difference? VS2? What about the GemEx analysis - is there a way to find a stone that pegs white, color and scintillation? Too many questions....argh....
Welcome to PS
1.gif

I won''t speak to your color question, as I''m not color sensitive at all and don''t want to lead you astray (suffice to say I wouldn''t be able to tell the difference, though others with VERY keen eyes can). As long as a stone is truly eye clean, which you can find even down to SI2, though it''s a rarity at that clarity grade, you won''t be able to tell the difference between one clarity grade and the next.

There''s an interesting thread about gemex and brilliancescope right here: current thread on bscope/gemex ...something to think about anyways.

Just my two bits...Good luck with your search, and I''d love to see what you decide on!

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
From my own point of view, I can''t see ANY difference in color between one letter and the next. Of course, I''m still learning about these things, but when we were out looking this weekend, I didn''t have any clue what the difference between one color and the next were. However, the clarity difference is noteable, but again, you can find "eye clean" on a SI stone....

My girl''s a lot more sensitive to stone quality (although, thankfully, not TOO sensitive), but she mentioned that the difference between G H weren''t noticeable to her at all.

That''s just coming from two people who don''t know much about diamonds, though!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
My three stone ring has an F SI1 center stone and G VS2 sidestones and I cannot see any difference between them. And I think that Vatche truffle ring is gorgeous!!!

Small

Brilliant_Rock
I''m pretty color sensitive myself so if it were me I''d not go below an H. That''s usually where I can tell the difference in color except maybe in well cut rounds. I''ve seen some really white ones at I and J but those were few and far between. I''d stick in the F/G range...that''s going to be a good combo and IMO you won''t see a difference.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I have a very white "I", and it''s around the size you''re looking at. My sidestones (small, 2 pointers, I think) are G and H, and I notice no difference.

vertigo

Rough_Rock
Wow, thanks for the quick responses!

I guess the consensus is that the F/G difference isn''t noticeable to 99% of people?

Anyone have any other suggestions in terms of recommended vendors, etc.?

1.gif

What else should I be looking for/ thinking of?

Jake_Needs_Help

Rough_Rock
Hey there. I just thought you might want an opinion from a more "regular" guy. I definitely value the opinions of the experts around here a little more, but it is nice to read what most people are likely to see.

This past weekend my girlfriend and I made a decision on color for her stone. We looked at an F, a G, and an H. All were fairly well cut stones. Alone, they all looked pretty white. Comparing the F to the G side by side, and then the G to the H, it seemed to us that the difference was larger between the G and the H. Very very small difference could be seen between the F and G when side by side (and sitting on a white tray).

Hope that helps.

vertigo

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,
What do you think of these diamonds vs. the 808 point one as a center stone?

http://www.exceldiamonds.com/diamond/3283.html
http://www.exceldiamonds.com/diamond/3285.html

31.gif

How will I be able to see if this is an AGS 000 stone?

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2006 5:44:24 PM
Author: vertigo
Hi guys,
What do you think of these diamonds vs. the 808 point one as a center stone?

http://www.exceldiamonds.com/diamond/3283.html
http://www.exceldiamonds.com/diamond/3285.html

31.gif

How will I be able to see if this is an AGS 000 stone?
They don''t have the best Megascopes...

vertigo

Rough_Rock
OK, this is getting complicated :)

What does NEAR H&A mean? Anyone have thoughts on this stone?
http://www.goodoldgold.com/0_84ct_g_vs2_h&a.htm

What about this stone with STRONG flourescence? Does that affect matters?
http://www.goodoldgold.com/0_830ct_g_vs1_h%26a.htm

and this?
http://www.goodoldgold.com/0_85ct_f_vs1_h&a.htm

Sorry about all the questions!
12.gif

I appreciate all the input tremendously.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you look at the arrows picture, the 12 o''clock arrow is broken.

Strong flouresence, totally a personal preference. With GOG, i''m sure their flouresence stones won''t look milky or oily (which is a rare phenomenon.)

vertigo

Rough_Rock
23.gif
LOL, just my luck, goodoldgold just revamped their website...... :)

jasper

Shiny_Rock
Vertigo,

My guess is that if you take a large enough group of randomly selected people (with normal eyesight), and have them do enough comparisons of equally-well cut stones that do not have any fluorescence in identical lighting environments (through the pavillion, not through the crown):

About 30% of the comparisons would correctly see a 1-color grade difference, and the other 70% of the comparisons could not tell the difference. This assumes that both stones are correctly color graded, and that the difference between the stones is exactly one grade. Unfortunately, real-life color grades can overlap.

About 90% of the comparisons would correctly see a 2-color grade difference, and the other 10% of the comparisons could not tell the difference.

This is consistent with my experience looking at stones at Tiffany''s. Unfortunately, my sample had just me, doing about 10 comparisons.

You might want to read more about colorimetry, and the theory and practice of color grading. Marty Haske (adamasgem) has several articles on his site, including:
The SAS 2000 product literature (especially Figure 8 and the paragraph before Figure 8)
1993 Tuscon Master Stone Study
Master Diamond Colorimetry Study
Is your ''G'' really a ''J''?

-- Jasper

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2006 12:37:23 PM
OK, after another couple of weeks, this is what I've picked out. Any thoughts?
1.gif

Side 1 - 35 points; Isee2 9.4

Side 2 - 35 points; Isee2 9.5

Center - 83 points; Isee2 9.6
Hi Vertigo ~
emrose.gif

I must have missed your thread, earier, and I must say ... "WOW"
emsmilep.gif
look at those diamonds!

I think you did great, love the
BSCOPE on the center ... just delish!
18.gif

Can't wait to see some pics of those pretty babies!
9.gif

Take care,
35.gif

gogbscope1.JPG

vertigo

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reassurance and opinions guys :)

Does anyone have any recommendations about appraisals?

I was considering Rich Sherwood of Sarasota Gem Labs..

26.gif

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/27/2006 7:39:41 PM
Thanks for the reassurance and opinions guys :)

Does anyone have any recommendations about appraisals?

I was considering Rich Sherwood of Sarasota Gem Labs..

26.gif
Great job
36.gif
Congrats! Those stones look fabulous
30.gif

I just had Rich appraise my ring and he did a fantastic job
36.gif
I just got my email report today and it's awesome! I would highly recommend him. I have also heard great things about Rocdoc and Oldminer (dave atlas) too so I guess it just depends on where you are located or what your time constraints are. I wasn't on a time crunch since this was just an upgrade but I would ask ahead of time how long it typically takes from when they receive the ring to when you get the ring/report back so you know what to expect if you are planning to propose in a certain time frame. I am sure any of them would be able to accomodate you and do an outstanding job
1.gif

Good luck!

kevinyonker

Rough_Rock
wow...you sure didn''t compromise...those diamonds are dazzling. Please post pics.

Kevin

klavigne

Shiny_Rock
An AGS000 stone will cost you an arm and a leg.
AGS000 means D color, Ideal cut, and FL clarity
FL clarity is a waste of money, you can barely see any inclusions with a 30 power microscope, and nothing with a jewelers loupe. I looked at a few and couldn''t tell the difference between them and the AGS002 which has a VVS clarity grading. The price difference was crazy though, I went with the AGS002.

pahoyafan

Rough_Rock
klavigne, AGS000 does not mean the stone is FL clarity. I have an AGS000 from Whiteflash (ACA), and it is
F color with SI2 (eyeclean) clarity. The triple 0 means the best grades in light performance, proportion,
and finish. All of Whiteflash's ACA Heart and Arrows diamonds are AGS000. The price differences within the same sizes comes from color and clarity (EX: A one carat AGS000, D color, vvs1 clarity will be more expensive than a one carat AGS000, G color, SI1 clarity).

vertigo

Rough_Rock
OK, the deal is done
21.gif
. All I have to do now is wait.... Thanks for all the input guys! Will MOST definitely post some pics once I can
36.gif

vertigo

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

A little update - I got my appraisal from Rich Sherwood on Friday via email. He did a fantastic job!
1.gif
The only thing that is bothering me is that one of the sidestones (.342 ct) is actually an I and not a G.
14.gif
I am waiting to hear back from GOG via email about whether they''ll discount or replace this stone when available.....

Any suggestions???
33.gif

Thanks again for all the input!

vertigo

Rough_Rock
Does anyone think this disparity in appraisal makes any tangible difference?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results