shape
carat
color
clarity

Help... 8000-9000 to blow!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ronc

Rough_Rock
So here i am... long time lurker, first time poster... but have decided to ask the love of my life to spend the rest of hers with me. And i come to an impasse. I''m from canada and seeing that not only can i get more for my money, but those that post on this site (the stores i mean) offer soo much more in terms of information, knowledge, expertise that i''m forced (cuz i''m a guy that wants only the best for my girl [and at a value...i''m asian btw]) to buy from the states and most likely from one of the fine establishments represented here. I''m excited, scared, and overwhelmed at times about the investment that will go into this rock....

I''ve decided to spend around 8000-9000 USD on the rock for my girl.
My desires are to get the shiniest, brightest, flashiest piece of carbon for that price. Of course the regular and obvious criteria must also be met (almost colourless ~G), and of course eyeclean (~VS2) plus or minus right.... Cut is of course also King.

So rounds and inparticular HA''s are the jackpot right?
I''ve been lurking and saw previous post about 5-6 thousand well can you fine folk help me out with some suggestions with 8-9 thousand? Additionally? I''m not entirely set on HA''s i mean... I know that there are equally brilliant squares, but at this point i''ll stick with the tried and true rounds. Given that i''ve heard about other rounds floating around... namely branded names... ie. 8*, caprice, other branded HAs, alternative facets like 80 facets, 90 facets, >100 facets etc... worth the premium? i mean i dunno about 8* but some of these other ones run 15-20% more.... But again if bright, shiny, and flashy are what i''m looking for should i downsize and get something unique?

Help me out...
Time line... purchase in about a month... i''ve looked long enough... .time to buy!!

THANKS SOOO MUCH EVERYONE IN ADVANCE

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
awww
1.gif
it's great to hear it when a guy's so in luv!

I'm likin this 1.225 F VS2 from WF (you also get a discount from WF when you mention PS)... i'll see what else i can find
4.gif

Edited to add: oopsie - the Apprentice is starting & my sweety's waitin for me in the tv room - gotta dash
2.gif
best of luck to you - i know you'll find a terrific stone!!

aj55

Rough_Rock
where abouts in canada...i recently purchased a ring from britton jewellers in vancouver, bc...very satisfied and the ring is awesome....

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
/images/site/d_lost.jpg

This one has an HCA of 1.7 and should be a stunner

$8482*

I'ts a 1.5carat, I, SI1

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
I have a general suggestion: Don't forget about the mounting. Buy a quality mounting, something custom or designer. House that diamond in something worthy in terms of design and craftsmanship. $9000 US is a very healthy budget (don't see Canadians coming through spending that much very often), so you should especially remember that the ring is a whole package and that you shouldn't just concentrate on the stone.

ronc

Rough_Rock
For sure... I'm getting the setting customed at a shop in town. I just didn't feel very comfortable with purchasing the diamond there cuz... in canada there's almost a 15% premium on top of the stone even before taxes versus the states. AND this one in particular told me the judge cut by eyeballing the stone, looking for certain patterns on the stone to tell them the angles... it was all so vague and subjective... It's a bit scary to think about the money and the lack of information availible. There are better dealers up here but the difference in price is significant. ALL of them condemn internet purchasing... ALL of them seem threatened by informed buyers... again scary.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions so far... any opinions upon branded versus unbranded stones?

And clarity or colour? if you had to take a step up or down in one category which would be more beneficial to move. THANKS!!!

Todd07

Shiny_Rock

----------------
On 10/8/2004 1:44:01 PM ronc wrote:

... ALL of them condemn internet purchasing... ALL of them seem threatened by informed buyers... again scary.

And clarity or colour? if you had to take a step up or down in one category which would be more beneficial to move. THANKS!!!
----------------

Buying over the internet does threaten B&Ms. Also, they have a point if you are buying from an Ebay seller

14.gif

If you are using PS and have done your homework, you can buy with complete confidence from a PS vendor. What makes it safe is using an independent appraiser so you can return within the window at no/minimal cost.

Why pay for what you can't see???

This means go for an SI1(eye clean) or VS2 clarity. Higher clarity adds cost but not beauty.

For color, look at H-J for your best values. When well cut they are bright and beautiful and look good in Platinum. You can do the comparisons but you can get a noticable size increase for the same money.

Make these comprimises and put the savings towards a larger well cut stone!!

I recently bought a 1.6C/J/SI1/AGS0/HCA 1.4/H&A from white flash. It wasn't the spec my FI orininally wanted but now that she has it, she loves the stone and is very proud to show it off.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results