shape
carat
color
clarity

Help.. 8 prongs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

VMal

Rough_Rock

Hi all

My guy just paid half of the gorgeous 2ct vintage solitaire that I fell in love with (Yay!)
It is set in a yellow gold, 8 prong, cathedral type setting with some intricate detail along the prongs, underneath the diamond. It is delicate yet bold. It''s perfect <3

My problem is this.... I adore every detail of this ring except that it is in yellow gold. I understand that "dipping" in white gold is not a good solution and that I should probably just have it reset. My guy totally loved the idea of this and I''m fine with it as well only I can''t find any 8 prong solitaire settings. 6-prongs are lovely as well but I really want to achieve the same antigue look...

Can anybody offer some advice or perhaps know where I can find an 8-prong solitaire.... simple, without any side stones or anything else...?

Any info is greatly appreciated

xoxo

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
To be honest, I don''t see many - or any! - 8 prong settings anywhere. But I may be looking in the wrong place.

It might be a good idea to have it custom made. Then you get exactly what you want.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Hi Vmal! First, where are the pics of your beautiful ring?!?! :)

IMO, dipping isn''t the worst solution. All wg is yellow gold mixed with an alloy and its nature is to turn back to yellow - so most of us WG wearers have our ring re-rhodiumed from time to time. It''s not going to hurt the setting or your stone, and it will cost in the neighborhood of $50 to do. Honestly, if it were me, I''d have the yg ring dipped, see what you think, and then you have plenty of time to stumble across an 8-prong or even have one custom made for you. Whiteflash.com might be a good place to start inquiring about settings, also. :)

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Perhaps you could have an exact replica made of the yellow gold ring, only in white gold or platinum? If it ain''t broke, as they say...

PS - where are the pics of this antique lovely??? Pics, pics, pics!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I posted one on your thread in RT.
1.gif
I have had YG pieced rhodium plated before, and it worked out well!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
As Elmorton points out, even WG has to be regularly redipped to look its best, anyway. Why don''t you try, perhaps you''ll decide a remake isn''t worth the effort.

Personally - and this is way OT - I have to show my hand as a YG fan anyway,
17.gif

it''s coming back in vogue, I swear!!
4.gif

and congratulations on your lovely ring!!!

VMal

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone!!

Thank you so much for your time and input!!

My cousin told me over the weekend that her e-ring was yg and had dipped 6 years ago and it still hasn''t faded or rubbed off or worn away.... Those silly salesmen told me I''d be back every 3 months!!!

I think I''m going to try i... This way I can enjoy it on my finger until I figure out whether or not I want to re-set it.

And as per the pics, *He* has them on his computer... I will post as soon as I can!!

Thank you so much all!! xoxo

35.gif

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, I so want to see this ring now!

vita*dolce

Brilliant_Rock
wow, it sounds gorgeous!! i think your best bet would be to take it to a jeweler your trust and ask them what they think your best options are, they might be able make you a replica or dip it for you!! i can''t wait to see pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results