shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! - 2 important qustions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Randy Top

Rough_Rock
How would you grade the cut and value of this diamond?

Oval .72 G SI1 Table 66 Depth 60 6.95 x 4.79 x 3.13 - $1900

I''ve looked at tables and charts and I know what I think.
Just wondering what anyone else thinks and if you think it''s a good/bad/ok value.

Also, what would you say about a store that "only carries the best cut diamonds" "we pick the top 1% and leave the others for the store in the mall" ?

I assume they aren''t lying, they have a good reputation in my area. (6 stores over a 100 mile radius) But when I asked about reports and things like that, not all of there stones are certified. They have their own gemologists who confirm the gradings of the stones they buy, otherwise they wouldn''t buy them. It just seems like a conflict of interest.

Here is the stone I am looking at for this store:

Oval .62 E SI1 (assume ideal or top of the line cut) - $2200

I would buy from an online vendor, but most don''t have ovals in house and would charge me to bring the stone in if I don''t want to buy it. I would much rather see an oval in person with the bow tie effect. Plus having to ship it somewhere to get it worked on just seems like a pain in the butt.

Thanks for any help.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/26/2010 3:25:42 PM
Author:qkid13
How would you grade the cut and value of this diamond?

Oval .72 G SI1 Table 66 Depth 60 6.95 x 4.79 x 3.13 - $1900

I've looked at tables and charts and I know what I think.
Just wondering what anyone else thinks and if you think it's a good/bad/ok value. Really no way to tell, all this info gives is a chalk outline of the stone regrettably. I would say it might be worth further investigation if eyeclean to your standards.

Also, what would you say about a store that 'only carries the best cut diamonds' 'we pick the top 1% and leave the others for the store in the mall' ? I would ask how they come to that conclusion....Personally I would take that with a huge grain of salt....

I assume they aren't lying, they have a good reputation in my area. (6 stores over a 100 mile radius) But when I asked about reports and things like that, not all of there stones are certified. They have their own gemologists who confirm the gradings of the stones they buy, otherwise they wouldn't buy them. It just seems like a conflict of interest.

Here is the stone I am looking at for this store:

Oval .62 E SI1 (assume ideal or top of the line cut) - $2200 I would not go by rather extravagant claims such as the above concerning the cut quality
of a diamond, for the stone in question there is really no way to tell how well cut it is from the basic info. What you could do is purchase an ASET scope and learn to use it or providing you have compared some ovals in person and like what you see, make sure you get a return policy in writing and take the stone to an independant appraiser that is skilled in evaluating cut quality.

I would buy from an online vendor, but most don't have ovals in house and would charge me to bring the stone in if I don't want to buy it. I would much rather see an oval in person with the bow tie effect. Plus having to ship it somewhere to get it worked on just seems like a pain in the butt.

Thanks for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results