shape
carat
color
clarity

*Help* 10 days to eval diamond, LOTS of PICS

blackmonday75

Rough_Rock
So I picked up this diamond from a jewelry store in Chinatown.
Ungraded, H color, V V S (1-2?), 2.33 carat, strong blue fluorescence
I'm going to bring it to GIA in Carlsbad this Monday for same day service ($308)
I paid $24,000 cash for this stone.

Here are some pictures I took with my iPhone and Idealscope, ASET scope, light tray, and UV light.
Please help, I don't know if I overpaid or I can get more for what I paid.

Picture%20006.jpg
Picture%20001_0.jpg
Picture%20005.jpg
Picture%20010.jpg
Picture%20009.jpg
Picture%20008.jpg
Picture%20007.jpg

Thank you everybody!!!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blackmonday75|1328054330|3115946 said:
So I picked up this diamond from a jewelry store in Chinatown.
Ungraded, H color, V V S (1-2?), 2.33 carat, strong blue fluorescence
I'm going to bring it to GIA in Carlsbad this Monday for same day service ($308)
I paid $24,000 cash for this stone.

Here are some pictures I took with my iPhone and Idealscope, ASET scope, light tray, and UV light.
Please help, I don't know if I overpaid or I can get more for what I paid.

Thank you everybody!!!

you broke the 3 NEVER rules when it comes to buying a diamond...

#1-NEVER buy a diamond from a Chinese jeweler for cash... :nono:
#2-NEVER buy a diamond of this price range w/o a GIA/AGS lab report.... :nono:
#3-NEVER break rule #1 and 2... :nono:

can you get a refund?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aside from breaking rules (the cash aspect is extremely scary), it really looks beautiful! It doesn't look like a lower color to me and I guess you were pretty well equipped with your scopes. I just bought a stone with SBF, so I am not afraid of that. I'd be holding my breath waiting for the GIA report. But if it is a GIA XXX and is H VVS, I'd say you got an amazing deal. But, you did take a huge risk.

Just for reference, James Allen has an ideal cut 2.0 ct. H VVS2 listed at $34k.

Ravinmad

Shiny_Rock
"One hellva roll of the dice....... on a big piece of Ice!"

I hope and pray that it checks out for you. I would be questioning myself on the source of this diamond, aka Kimberly process approved/sanctioned or if there's something that might give you grief later on when if you were to sell it. Is GIA going to ask questions about its source?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope it all works out in your favour - the colour, cut and clarity are all what you thought you purchased - but I'm with DF and Ravinmad, that was a HUGE risk! You are pretty gutsy to do that :-o

Hope the GIA comes thru for you...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1328056181|3115965 said:
Aside from breaking rules (the cash aspect is extremely scary), it really looks beautiful! It doesn't look like a lower color to me and I guess you were pretty well equipped with your scopes. I just bought a stone with SBF, so I am not afraid of that. I'd be holding my breath waiting for the GIA report. But if it is a GIA XXX and is H VVS, I'd say you got an amazing deal. But, you did take a huge risk.

Just for reference, James Allen has an ideal cut 2.0 ct. H VVS2 listed at $34k.
IF this was a well cut H VVS2 stone the jeweler would send this stone to GIA or AGS lab themself. who would be stupid enough to give away $15K?

Ravinmad

Shiny_Rock
someone who's selling a stone that might be conflict questionable

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
doesn't look like a bad stone- nice arrows. The lighter areas in the middle may be leakage- or just the picture quality.

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
i'm with DancingFire on this one... seriously you would drop 24k without any report? u wanna buy my H / VVS2? :Up_to_something:

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Ravinmad|1328056611|3115974 said:
"One hellva roll of the dice....... on a big piece of Ice!"

I hope and pray that it checks out for you. I would be questioning myself on the source of this diamond, aka Kimberly process approved/sanctioned or if there's something that might give you grief later on when if you were to sell it. Is GIA going to ask questions about its source?

Where would GIA get the authority to do that? This isn't like an exotic animal item that requires a Cities certificate. I'm curious since I've never heard of this.

blackmonday75

Rough_Rock
Here's the deal. I have had a lot of apprehension buying in cash from a Chinese dealer too and have been mulling over this decision for several months. I live in LA blocks from the jewelry district and I could easily buy from one of the more reputable dealers there. This chinese dealer was referred by a family friend, so I actually have the diamond in hand for $18000 cash, 10 days to review and do what I want with 100% buy back guarantee. It seems like too good of a deal and that always makes me worried. I'm ok right now about the cash deal. What I'm worried about is:

1) is the color lower than H?
2) does the strong fluorescence really take away from the diamond in the sun (not oily or hazy) but it does have a blue tinge as you can see in the pic
--- should the diamond be cheaper considering the strong blue?
3) it looks well cut, but I don't have a report (will have a GIA report on Monday), the dimensions measured in calipers are 8.5mm by 5.28 mm, carat weight 2.336, but I don't have angles to measure an HCA grade.
--- question: Can a patterned diamond turn out to not be ideal cut?
4) I would grade the polish maybe good-VG because of some polish lines on one of the bezel facets, but I wonder if I could really get a XXX out of it.
5) Will GIA grade it a V V S 2? I don't see any visible inclusions under the loupe and I think the ASET scope is pretty good at highlighting most inclusions.
6) Kimberley process: I just don't know! Hope not!

Thank you everybody for the input. I have my fingers crossed until the GIA report monday, I'll share the details.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It sounds too good to be true... soooo....

Fingers crossed.

I'm also going to throw out the "troll" option here too ;)) Just sayin', no hard feelings OP.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ravinmad|1328059656|3116021 said:
someone who's selling a stone that might be conflict questionable
IMO...in one way or another 90% of the diamonds are conflicted.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blackmonday75|1328062387|3116060 said:
Here's the deal. I have had a lot of apprehension buying in cash from a Chinese dealer too and have been mulling over this decision for several months. I live in LA blocks from the jewelry district and I could easily buy from one of the more reputable dealers there. This chinese dealer was referred by a family friend, so I actually have the diamond in hand for $18000 cash, 10 days to review and do what I want with 100% buy back guarantee. It seems like too good of a deal and that always makes me worried. I'm ok right now about the cash deal. What I'm worried about is:

Thank you everybody for the input. I have my fingers crossed until the GIA report monday, I'll share the details.
did you get a written receipt?

blackmonday75

Rough_Rock
I have a written receipt, my insurance is I paid up front $18k and have the stone in hand to go eval.
I'm not sure what was meant by "troll?" :confused:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1328063351|3116076 said:
blackmonday75|1328062387|3116060 said:

did you get a written receipt?

Written receipt with clearly stated idiot-proof return-for-refund policy in writing, signed and dated...

Cut looks fine, frankly cut would be the last of my worries. From the face-up I'd estimate 57ish table and just south of 41 pav - so higher crown 35.5+ on the GIA

*Please* tell me you have the above, I went through your posts and I remember your last thread and at this point you really ought to know enough to at least safeguard yourself to that extent... I hope you're the one in a million who gets lucky with such a venture...

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
i'm guessing a J/K color grade from the tint in this photo

Picture%20010.jpg

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
It's very unlikely that it's a GIA/AGS H if color is accurate in the photo. It's also near impossible to separate a VS1 from VVS grades without a microscope. However, it does look a lot better than most of the stones in your other thread. Best of luck that it comes back as a non-enhanced diamond with acceptable grading from GIA.

blackmonday75

Rough_Rock
I think you are right
the color is pretty true to what you see in the picture
that would probably place it I-J maybe even K
on bluenile, VVS1, J, 2.3 ct, XXX are going for $24k
so maybe not such a good deal

do you all think I should get the GIA grading
or just go for a return because thats probably
the best grade it could possibly get anyway

thanks again everybody
I don't think i have ever been this stressed out

blackmonday75

Rough_Rock
it looks pretty white face up though
probably due to the fluorescence
so even if I'm not getting a great deal
do you all think that the wifey
would mind the bluish tint in sunlight
i'm not sure in what situation she would see the yellow

what do you all think?
I can't really ask her because then it takes away the surprise part

marygrace

Shiny_Rock
blackmonday75|1328068929|3116151 said:

thanks again everybody

I would return it as it almost certainly a conflict diamond. People died for it.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
"troll" is a term used when someone posts one the internet making things up for attention, like "trolling for attention". I am suspicious because someone saavy enough to have their own ideal scope must surely be saavy enough to understand how diamond pricing works? I am sorry to say that your threads are hard to believe for me! If I am wrong, apologies! ::)

Return it and start over with a stone already having a GIA report. Diamond sellers are saavy. They do not give things away. Why would this seller not have gotten a GIA report himself?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blackmonday75|1328063781|3116086 said:
I have a written receipt, my insurance is I paid up front $18k and have the stone in hand to go eval.
I'm not sure what was meant by "troll?" :confused:
so the price of this stone drop from $24K to $18K.. :confused:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marygrace|1328071693|3116182 said:

thanks again everybody

I would return it as it almost certainly a conflict diamond. People died for it.
:errrr: ..so are the clothes on my body. i don't feel comfortable running around naked.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

thanks again everybody

Why on earth would you say it's "almost certainly" a conflict diamond?

blackmonday75

Rough_Rock
I think after looking at it more and more
its too yellow face up in light with no UV
im looking at it now that the sun is down and it looks more yellow now
is this normally what happens?

here is another color picture compared with a CZ i have
Picture%20012.jpg

this is a diamond i have on hold that i passed up
$24k tax + setting
EGL USA stone 903820407D
2.01ct
G color
VS1 (most notably small table crystal (white))
8.13x8.07x4.97
depth 61.4%
table 57.7%
Crown 14.7%
Pavillion 43.2%
crown angle 34.6
pavillion angle 40.9
girdle medium
polish Ex
Sym Ex
Cut Ideal plus
Picture%20023.jpg
HCA 1.7
AGA 1A across the board

disregarding what is safer
what do you guys think is a better buy given same price $24k
2.33 k color, strong fluor, VVS1-2
2.01 g-h color, faint fluor, VS1 (eye clean)

marygrace

Shiny_Rock
Dancing Fire|1328075285|3116209 said:

thanks again everybody

:errrr: ..so are the clothes on my body. i don't feel comfortable running around naked.

Understood.

I still think the OP should return it. He is risking too much money and sanity. It's not much of a bargain if it causes this sort of headache. I'd recommend going to Jared rather than doing all this. Jared has 30000% markups and nauseating commercials, but their inventories are AGS graded.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
If the color is accurate in the pictures my guess is that it's likely a GIA/AGS K or lower color. I have yet to see a J with so much tint from the side.

Best to return it and stick to diamonds with GIA/AGS reports to begin with. As you find again and again there's simply no way to know whether the price you are paying is reasonable without knowing the true grade of the stone.

If you are trolling I have to applaud your efforts. :appl: It's a lot of work to take good pictures of the stones. Best of luck in getting your refund.

blackmonday75

Rough_Rock
so the price of this stone drop from $24K to $18K..

No, the price is $24k, i paid $18k up front with a promise to pay the $6k if I keep the diamond. I have ten days to eval and return the diamond. I am seriously considering towards just returning it.

I guess it is right, if its too good to be true.

In regards to trolling. I'm not offended, but I am seriously looking for help. This has been the most stressful purchase I have ever made, and the more I look, the more I think bluenile has the best or fair prices. The jewelers downtown are pretty much all giving the same prices and it doesn't look like I'm going to find a hidden gem amongst the bargain bin. I just finished my residency and am marrying the woman I have been dating for 8 years. She has discerning taste and a pair of eagle eyes. So that's where the pressure is.

I started out looking for $15-20k round, g color stone, SI1-VS* that is eye clean but has an ideal cut, excellent polish and symmetry, no fluorescence. The ASET and Idealscope have both helped tremendously, but there are so many factors when money is an issue. I have looked at probably 100-150 2 carat stones in my price range up and down the LA jewelry district and can't come to buy a stone. So that's why I keep showing these stones and asking questions. I'm getting married in two months and still haven't proposed yet.

If somebody knows a good stone, please let me know.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results