shape
carat
color
clarity

hello. store question.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dynamicshine

Rough_Rock
hello, i''ve been browsing this site for awhile now but not posted until now that i finally got a diamond.
1.gif

I dropped off the diamond at a jewelry store to get it mounted but the jeweler said it won''t be ready until a few days. I undersatnd this is common because they are busy and want to take their time doing a good job. My concern is because it''s a very valuable diamond to me at least, what if they switch diamond and i wouldn''t even know it? Has anyone ever worry about this? don''t get me wrong, i trust my jeweller but what if. thanks for listening.

PlatinumDiamond

Shiny_Rock
Funny you should ask, well, not really funny, but I have thought about that many times in the past until I became educated about diamonds.

If you know your diamond, you will know if it has been switched. Use a loupe to see the details of your diamond, it is sort of like a blueprint or thumbprint. If you yourself can not see anything, take it to an independant jeweler that really knows his business before hand and have it looked at and get the info on your diamond from him. In other words, know your diamond.

You could always re-look at it once you get it back from the jeweler that is mounting it for you to make sure it is the same diamond with the same characteristics.

Some diamonds that have lab reports or certificates, map out your diamonds characteristics and even some diamonds are inscribed with numbers for identification, too.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Dynamicshine, welcome to the forum.

You're not the only one who worries about that. You can try to search this board for "switch*".

In a nutshell, reputable jeweler will never do it because it will put his/her reputation and livelihood at risk.

If your diamond has a grading report with inclusion plot you can try to check the inclusions using loupe or microscope.

For more piece of mind check the stone with independent appraiser.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results