shape
carat
color
clarity

Hello New here

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Opallover

Rough_Rock
Hello, I am new here and I am a opalholic. I buy most of my opals direct from the miner.

My favorites are Black opals. I find appraisers shy away from my opals because I assume they don''t know anything about opals.
My son is doing a science project about opals.

All finding someone to polish my 12 year old black opal (My first) is proving to be an expensive venture.

Linda

gemnut

Shiny_Rock
Welcome Opallover :)

Until about a year ago, I thought all opals were white or creamy-white! Those were the only ones I had seen. When I joined Pricescope, I started seeing posts about "black opals", and some members had even posted pictures of them. WOW!! What a revelation!
I''m still working on getting my first black opal - it HAS to be big, so it''s going to take me a good long while, and since I can''t choose one in person in my area, I''d have to buy over the net, which does make me nervous. SIGH!

You are very, very lucky to have more than one piece of this gorgeous stone. PLEASE post some pictures!!

Opallover

Rough_Rock
Gemnut

I find that I don''t even find white or common opal to my liking anymore. Where are you looking? I received a 35 carat black opal today, interesting, but the back of it was chipped. It has purple fire deep within.

I''m finding out that Reds and violets fetch the higher prices. I have found a couple wonderful sites, and I really need to curb my spending a little!!

Linda

gemnut

Shiny_Rock
Mostly I see those white opals in auctions and old jewelry shows. I don''t think they make much new jewelry with white opals any more, they seem to have gone out of style. I''m not too fond of most white/cream opals either.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results