shape
carat
color
clarity

Hello, Can anyone give me some info on Gold?

bromike

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone, I have a question regarding a solid 14k Gold chain I recently got my hands on. It is a bit darker than the previous chain I have had in my possession (the smaller of the two in the image below). I was wondering if anyone can give me a bit of insight as to why it is darker.

I was told by the jeweler that is was recently coated in an extra layer of 14k Gold after it was finished being made. I was then told that it would eventually look more pale yellow, like my thin necklace, after it experienced some wear. Should I believe this? Is there a method that the jeweler can use to make a chain darker/lighter?

thanks for any insight.

image-7.jpg

image-3.jpg

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe they plated it in 18k gold for the richer finish? Ask your jeweler to clarify, only they know what exactly was done to it.

bromike

Rough_Rock
I brought it to a second jeweler and they stated that it was 14k.

It does appear to be 18 though.....

abbit

Rough_Rock
I am a gold wearer and find that the colors can vary heaps even though they are all the same karat. It's because of the other metals they put in it. I love a pale, creamy almost rose gold color but it's hard to find. Even in the same jewelry store they'll have varying colors depending on where they bought it from.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results