shape
carat
color
clarity

Heirloom OEC or Transitional Cut, please educate me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
ooohhhhh I missed all of these photos. What a beautiful antique. Such a nice compliment to your e-ring, too.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! I think you saw the new pics I posted in SMTR. I''ll try and take some in the sun if it ever shows.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Oh, SDL!! Thank you.

Al Gilbertson

Rough_Rock
It’s no secret that I don’t like the name transitional—but from the side-view shot, it looks like the girdle is not knife-edged. I would be suspicious. When I have seen girdles that look typical for today, with a pavilion like the older style, it means that someone has repaired the diamond--probably because the girdle was damaged since it was so thin. They then also touch up the whole crown—often to remove small nicks since the diamond has been around for a while. This means that the table size, etc is more in keeping with modern stones. That table size became more popular with that older pavilion bottom in the 30’s—so it hard to say—but if the girdle is pristine, it has probably been touched up. If, instead, the girdle is knife-edged or near knife-edged, it is a diamond that would have been called “scientific cut” in the 1910’s and 20’s and also “ideal cut” in the 20’s through the ‘40’s. It was not until the late ’30 or the mid-40’s that the lower halves were lengthened and the girdle thickened to what we consider normal today (although a few cut like that this earlier).

Hope this helps
Al Gilbertson

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results