shape
carat
color
clarity

Heirloom Diamond

jlp86

Shiny_Rock
So I inherited an heirloom diamond and I was wondering... is it worth it to get GIA certified if it will always be in the family as an heirloom?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
it depends on what you want to do with it. If it will always remain in the family as an heirloom...I see no reason for GIA. You might want to get an updated appraisal for insurance purposes though.

jlp86

Shiny_Rock
Since we are resetting the diamond we are going to get it appraised once it is in the setting for insurance.

Thanks for giving your opinion, that is how I felt too. Didn't seem worth the money or the time without the stone if we weren't selling it at any point.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I also recommend posting lots of pictures here so we can see :)

jlp86

Shiny_Rock
Haha I will DEFINITELY post pictures...when I have it haha. BF has it hidden until the setting is made and it can be reset...then I have to wait until it is given to me! haha its a big waiting game. I did see it when his grandmother gave it to us and its so pretty and sparkly!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
jlp86|1314231093|2998638 said:
Haha I will DEFINITELY post pictures...when I have it haha. BF has it hidden until the setting is made and it can be reset...then I have to wait until it is given to me! haha its a big waiting game. I did see it when his grandmother gave it to us and its so pretty and sparkly!

oh is this for your engagement ring? congratulations :)

jlp86

Shiny_Rock
Yes! It is! Sorry I should have mentioned that! Not engaged yet but hoping its coming soon!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
jlp86|1314231863|2998659 said:
Yes! It is! Sorry I should have mentioned that! Not engaged yet but hoping its coming soon!
Yay- so exciting!!

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
If it was always going to be in my family as an heirloom, I probably wouldn't bother to get it certified either. An appraisal is a great idea though. We will eagerly await lots and lots of photos. Good luck!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I don't think it's worth it...in fact, even if you were in the future, I'd still say you don't need to do it now because, if a lot of time passes, you'd probably have to get it re-certified.

jlp86

Shiny_Rock
moosemom and centralsquare -- thank you for the information! That is what I figured, just wanted to double check!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Personally, I would think it'd depend upon the size. If it's a rather large diamond, yes, I'd get it certified b/c it may come back as a better color/clarity than what it will be appraised at when set. Either way, get an appraisal and insurance!

jlp86

Shiny_Rock
MC|1314296374|2999397 said:
Personally, I would think it'd depend upon the size. If it's a rather large diamond, yes, I'd get it certified b/c it may come back as a better color/clarity than what it will be appraised at when set. Either way, get an appraisal and insurance!

The jeweler did an appraisal without the paperwork just so we knew what we had. He said it was a .98ct, F, VVS2....thats all I know. Once it is set we will get the official appraisal for insurance.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
The only necessary thing in this situation is to post LOTS and LOTS of pictures in SMTB. Really, we need them. :bigsmile:

I agree with the others, no need for a cert at this time.

Can't wait to see it!!!!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
No advice here as I agree with all of the previous posters about not needing a GIA cert, however I wanted to say congrats on having an heirloom diamond and getting engaged soon! Can't wait for pics! :naughty:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too wouldn't bother w/ a GIA if it's going to stay in the family - the value of having a GIA comes when you're selling it, and if it's an antique style shape/cut RB the GIA cut grade will hurt more than it'll help - the reason most OECs have EGLs, if anything!

I would plan on an independent appraisal to ensure there is nothing of concern re. setting the stone, esp if you're planning a setting type that will stress the stone - tension, even bezel, just to be sure that there are no structural concerns, no girdle chip/inclusion worries, etc.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd get a full GIA grading report just to be as sure as possible of the specs.
No reason, but that's just the geek in me.

You can send it yourself (it must be loose) to GIA in NY or to California.
0.98 ct will cost you $78 plus shipping.
If a jeweler sends it to GIA for you I suspect they will add on their fee.

Keep in mind GIA does not appraise or assign a value, so if your insurance company wants a current appraisal the GIA report will not provide that; you'd still have to pay an appraiser.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't unless you are planning on selling it. Not worth the expense IMHO.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tacori E-ring|1314453272|3001465 said:
I wouldn't unless you are planning on selling it. Not worth the expense IMHO.

I agree. For insurance purposes a good appraisal is enough. Do we get pics?

mrsjacob

Shiny_Rock
I also have an heirloom diamond, and I have no cert. I did have the diamond appraised locally without the cert, for insurance purposes, but that was all.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results