shape
carat
color
clarity

heavy shank vs. medium shank

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ru4rn

Rough_Rock
What is the width in mm of a heavy shank vs. medium shank?

Thanks!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi and welcome to PS - I''m afraid this is a very subjective question - it all depends.
It will depend on different ppl''s style, likes and dislikes, finger size - what may seem medium to you may be thick or heavy to me, kwim?
Also, you should choose a shank size dependant on the style of ring, the size of the gem, the wearer''s finger size etc etc.

In other words, there isn''t really an answer to your question, sorry
2.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe this will help? The Aqua ring band is 2mm wide, and the WB is 3.5mm wide.

Aqua7954.JPG

The Ering is 3.5ish as it rests on my finger (it''s 4 by stone, but starts to taper down), and the scattered band is 5mm. Not sure if this helps, but thought I''d try to put it visually.

SBER01.jpg

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Ellen Fantastic examples :).

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why thank you Miss Dee!

ru4rn

Rough_Rock
Thanks Ellen, that helps a lot. So would you say the 2.5mm is considered medium shank and the other ones are considered heavy shank? I''m trying to figure out at what mm do they consider a band heavy shank. For example, I''ve noticed many sites state tiffany solitaires as having medium or heavy shank. It does help to see your pictures because I like the 3mm bands but not sure if that''s considered medium or heavy?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/28/2009 9:47:11 AM
Author: Deelight
Ellen Fantastic examples :).
Ditto!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2009 3:31:52 PM
Author: ru4rn
Thanks Ellen, that helps a lot. So would you say the 2.5mm is considered medium shank and the other ones are considered heavy shank? I''m trying to figure out at what mm do they consider a band heavy shank. For example, I''ve noticed many sites state tiffany solitaires as having medium or heavy shank. It does help to see your pictures because I like the 3mm bands but not sure if that''s considered medium or heavy?
Sorry, I forgot to check back in here! You''re welcome.

The thing is, I can say what I think is med, heavy, etc., but that may not jive with what a jeweler would call them. Personally, I think 2.5 is somewhat thin, edging toward med. myself. A 3mm I wouldn''t call heavy, I''d call it med. Really, your best bet would be to call whoever has the setting you''re interested in and ask. Since you now know you like a 3mm, it should make it easier to find one you would be happy with, once they tell you the mm''s on it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results