shape
carat
color
clarity

Heavy gold chain with modest mark-up -- would you be tempted?

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a colored-stone question, per se, but let's say I want to put a colored-stone slider on this. You are my peeps so looking for your opinions please!

The same almost-retired B&M jeweler who was selling the oxblood coral has two handmade heavy 18K YG chains -- one a polished graduated link and one a sleek tubogas. They are "new" (unworn; old stock, I suppose), extremely well-made, contemporary, and European (maybe made within the last couple decades) -- one is French and one is German. I went to pick up the ring so it's a little like, "Hey, do you want fries with that?"

When I price them by gram-weight alone (and correct for 18K) and use the high recent spot price for gold, I see that one is only 50% over "melt value" (I hate that term, but whatever) and the other is only 30% over melt value. I am accustomed to 2X -- and that matches what I see on Lang for their heavyweight chains and also what I see on 1st Dibs (recognizing that this is a little inflated). And when I poke around online, I see anywhere from 100% - 400% markup as typical, and even up to 9X. (Presumably the highest markups are the lightest chains.)

I would not buy gold as an investment but this seems tempting. Plus, these are not commoditized "by the foot" machine-made 14K chains. (Also: I know that an elephant for a quarter is only a good deal if you have a quarter and need an elephant.)

Do you have a mental benchmark for this type of thing? Mine had pretty much been that I would never do better than about 2X (100% mark-up) on gold and it could be much higher if something were superbly made or engraved, etc. I am helped in this math by the gold run-up, which could head back down very soon. Again, I do not speculate in gold or jewelry and generally just buy simple, low-key things to enjoy.

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
Hehe I do indeed for the simplest pieces like chains and plain bands.

This cigar band was approx 1.2x the price of gold - it was a pawn shop find and on sale.

I haven’t bought a heavy gold chain though so not sure where my benchmark would be on that, but would think it’s around 20-50% depending on the craftsmanship.

IMG_7291.jpeg

"Hey, do you want fries with that?"

(Also: I know that an elephant for a quarter is only a good deal if you have a quarter and need an elephant.)

My sense of humor wants to have a beer with yours.
drinkingbuddies.gif

I would buy one or both in a heartbeat. Gold chains are versatile workhorses in any collection. European handmade (18k)? Substantial? Below retail? No-brainer in my book! And big congrats (to your dear daughter) on the ring!!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would buy one or both in a heartbeat. Gold chains are versatile workhorses in any collection. European handmade (18k)? Substantial? Below retail? No-brainer in my book!

More enabling?! :lol-2: But these are kind of my thoughts, too.

(World's best) FIL was in sales and I always hear his voice in my head from when he'd poke fun at his own impulse purchases: "I can't afford not to buy it!"

Spouse is not in love with the tubogas (German, heavier, and the "better value" at only a 30% premium) -- she has an aversion to anything snake-like. And it's, well, pretty snake-like in person. But this one is really supple and fluid with an oval cross-section and just drapes over the collarbone. It has a one-inch linker chain in the back which does not look great in pictures, but looks integral and original and would make a nice sacrificial breakaway point if anyone were to snatch it on the subway, etc. I hate to think that way but, you know.

The link one (French; 50% premium over melt value) is not solid but feels almost like it could be; it does not feel like you could dent the links without a hammer. It has a cool spring-loaded horseshoe clasp with a cab garnet on the end, too.

Screen Shot 2024-04-09 at 10.35.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-04-09 at 10.34.33 PM.png

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Well, you know what to expect from me now. This morning Bank of Ameria projected gold at 2500.00 by the fourth quarter.
I don't care for the snake one either.

I wish to be included in the beer meeting. Alex I still can laugh at your copy of the tiffany paper cup, Love your humor.

Annette

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
More enabling?! :lol-2: But these are kind of my thoughts, too.

(World's best) FIL was in sales and I always hear his voice in my head from when he'd poke fun at his own impulse purchases: "I can't afford not to buy it!"

Spouse is not in love with the tubogas (German, heavier, and the "better value" at only a 30% premium) -- she has an aversion to anything snake-like. And it's, well, pretty snake-like in person. But this one is really supple and fluid with an oval cross-section and just drapes over the collarbone. It has a one-inch linker chain in the back which does not look great in pictures, but looks integral and original and would make a nice sacrificial breakaway point if anyone were to snatch it on the subway, etc. I hate to think that way but, you know.

The link one (French; 50% premium over melt value) is not solid but feels almost like it could be; it does not feel like you could dent the links without a hammer. It has a cool spring-loaded horseshoe clasp with a cab garnet on the end, too.

Screen Shot 2024-04-09 at 10.35.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-04-09 at 10.34.33 PM.png

oh those are really really nice
i feel it is our job here to enable !

always feel a little ad when i hear someone doesn't like snakes- Prince Albert gave Queen Victoria a snake ER as the serpent represents eternal love

i watch these guys on you tube -initially because they had a pet alligator in their back room but they have a reptile center now

mind you easy for me to say as it is illegal to have a snake in NZ, even at a zoo,

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This morning Bank of Ameria projected gold at 2500.00 by the fourth quarter.
I don't care for the snake one either.

I guess investment necklace it is! That the clear winner is the link chain is very helpful -- thank you! It's less of a "bargain," but maybe there's a reason. I'm hoping the link one has an identifiably French hallmark or maker's mark, etc.

I'd have to buy the link for sure (now that I know it has the added bonus of a "secret" garnet). The tubogas would still be a definite maybe from me

Another vote for the link! Yeah that little cab -- it's like the Cartier "sapphire" in the watch crown. It's doing a lot of heavy lifting -- it makes me think, "This must be well made!"

I love the link chain! Gorgeous! I think it's more timeless than the tubogas.

Appreciate the candor -- thank you. I guess I should have had a "vote" button!

always feel a little ad when i hear someone doesn't like snakes- Prince Albert gave Queen Victoria a snake ER as the serpent represents eternal love

I will reinforce that concept. I predict that historical reference and appeal to reason will turn her right around. :mrgreen2:

Damn, I love that link chain… I’m normally such a bargain hunter that I pay maybe 20 to 30% above melt...

And another!

She really does hate snakes. She was a kid in "snake country." And also "bear country." And a few other countries I can't remember right now. We'll be hiking and she will say "This...feels like [snake/bear/cougar/dinosaur] country" and it's like how you're home alone and your pet suddenly and with seemingly zero provocation gets hyper-alert...and it's just not a lot of fun after that.

I'll need to go back with her and see how (if) she likes it. Kind of a hard thing to say "no way" to.

I'll be sure to print this all out and bring it with me!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I guess investment necklace it is! That the clear winner is the link chain is very helpful -- thank you! It's less of a "bargain," but maybe there's a reason. I'm hoping the link one has an identifiably French hallmark or maker's mark, etc.

Another vote for the link! Yeah that little cab -- it's like the Cartier "sapphire" in the watch crown. It's doing a lot of heavy lifting -- it makes me think, "This must be well made!"

Appreciate the candor -- thank you. I guess I should have had a "vote" button!

I will reinforce that concept. I predict that historical reference and appeal to reason will turn her right around. :mrgreen2:

And another!

She really does hate snakes. She was a kid in "snake country." And also "bear country." And a few other countries I can't remember right now. We'll be hiking and she will say "This...feels like [snake/bear/cougar/dinosaur] country" and it's like how you're home alone and your pet suddenly and with seemingly zero provocation gets hyper-alert...and it's just not a lot of fun after that.

I'll need to go back with her and see how (if) she likes it. Kind of a hard thing to say "no way" to.

I'll be sure to print this all out and bring it with me!

I love snakes and snake jewelry (where it looks like an actual snake though). To me the other chain doesn’t have a snake association in that it doesn’t look like a literal snake to me! But I still prefer the link one. How heavy is it?? I just love heft in gold. I hate flimsy feeling chains and rings.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How heavy is it?? I just love heft in gold. I hate flimsy feeling chains and rings.

Well, this is a little personal but I'll do almost anything to bump "Composting Humans" and "Punching Women" out of the top five for a few.:cool2:

The link one is about 55 g (maybe not a true heavyweight to some of you but it warranted an "Oh!" when I first picked it up) and the tubogas is about 95 g. So now you know how much I was prepared to "invest" on a random whim. In my defense, and unlike for any gem or jewelry purchase I have ever considered, these will be worth 65 - 75% of their purchase price the day after I buy. I'm accustomed to a much bigger downward reset. Although: there was a thread here or maybe on a financial forum that suggested people were struggling to get anywhere near spot price for scrap gold.

To be fair, neither one of them looks grotesquely look-at-me like those 1-kg curb-links on IG.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Well, this is a little personal but I'll do almost anything to bump "Composting Humans" and "Punching Women" out of the top five for a few.:cool2:

The link one is about 55 g (maybe not a true heavyweight to some of you but it warranted an "Oh!" when I first picked it up) and the tubogas is about 95 g. So now you know how much I was prepared to "invest" on a random whim. In my defense, and unlike for any gem or jewelry purchase I have ever considered, these will be worth 65 - 75% of their purchase price the day after I buy. I'm accustomed to a much bigger downward reset. Although: there was a thread here or maybe on a financial forum that suggested people were struggling to get anywhere near spot price for scrap gold.

To be fair, neither one of them looks grotesquely look-at-me like those 1-kg curb-links on IG.

Lol on bumping the threads out of the line. I realize my questions sounded like it was fishing for the price, but I forgot about that and was genuinely curious about the weight I promise! And yeah 55 g is definitely a chunky chain! I hope you got it.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I'd get at least one. Sounds like a good deal and prices are only going up.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results