shape
carat
color
clarity

Heating Sapphires?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

starsapphire

Shiny_Rock
Hi, does heating blue sapphire make them lighter? I had a ring one time that was blue sapphire, and when I got it back from the jeweler''s for sizing, the sapphires seemed a bit brighter....or maybe it was just REALLY clean? Is this the same thing as "cooking" a stone? Thanks.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, sizing up or down or even setting a gemstone does not affect the colour of sapphires. Even if a jeweller''s torch is used, the temperature is very low compared to the true heating aka cooking of sapphires. You''re probably just seeing a very clean stone. No worries.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Being a gem lover you''ll probably find this site fun anyway ( maybe you''ve seen it already ). But there are some cool photos in this section of some men heating sapphires the old way.
http://www.fieldgemology.org/gemology%20sri%20lanka%20ceylon%202005.php

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, that link didn''t have all the photos. I promise it''s in there soewhere :)

starsapphire

Shiny_Rock
Thanks innerkitten! That is a really cool site!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results