shape
carat
color
clarity

Heath Ledger?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

swl

Shiny_Rock
How come Heath Ledger is not in the short memorial video during Queen Latifah's memorial ceremony? I wonder if his family requests not to have him included? He's such a great actor. So happy to see he won the best supporting actor.

side note: does anyone here think you have aniston's courage to come face to face to the man who once loved you so dearly now with the woman who stold your husband? Jolie and Brad was like 5 feet away from the stage
14.gif

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
He was actually included in last year''s tribute.

swl

Shiny_Rock
oh...ic

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
It took me awhile to figure that out as well.. But then I remembered he died last January, before last years academy awards.

I hated how the camera didn''t zoom in for Cyd Cherise''s moment.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was wondering that too, but then I remembered how I cried at last year's tribute.

I think there would have been a mob if he hadn't won supporting actor. There wasn't a dry eye in the house...

ETA: Jenn gets mad props from me too.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
It must have been difficult for Jennifer. But a husband can''t be stolen. He didn''t have to go with Angelina Jolie.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 5:35:01 AM
Author: Maisie
It must have been difficult for Jennifer. But a husband can''t be stolen. He didn''t have to go with Angelina Jolie.
Very true...it takes two. But would you want your hubby hanging out with her all day? I wouldn''t. It reminds me of something Kelly Ripa said about her one time. She said she loves and trusts her hubby and all, but if he called her and told her he was making a film with Angelina Jolie, she would quit her job on the spot and go set up camp on the set to make sure he was kept in check! I''m pretty sure Angelina knows she could have just about any man she wants.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 12:41:24 AM
Author:swl
How come Heath Ledger is not in the short memorial video during Queen Latifah''s memorial ceremony? I wonder if his family requests not to have him included? He''s such a great actor. So happy to see he won the best supporting actor.

side note: does anyone here think you have aniston''s courage to come face to face to the man who once loved you so dearly now with the woman who stold your husband? Jolie and Brad was like 5 feet away from the stage
14.gif
SIDE NOTE: I TOTALLY NOTICED THAT. I could feel her discomfort as she tried not to look at them, but darted her eyes around and even messed up her line! I did think it is pretty hard to see your exhusband that you wanted to have children with, with the "mistress" he is now living w/ and adopting an entire villiage. Honestly, he USED to be hot in my eyes. I have a group of men that I call " Love their wife hot" and because of how much they love their wife, they are just yum, yum, yummy. He TOTALLY ruined it for me. I don''t care what crud they tell the press. The affair started ON THE SET. DUH. (even angie came out and said "we fell in love while making mr & mrs smith.. blah blah blah.)
I don''t believe a man can be stolen either. But I think that Hollywood marriages undergo much more pressure than other marriages, as they have to get naked and make kissey face w/ other people as part of their JOB... it sure complicates things. Also, Angie is known for having affairs with married men. It was her MO. Billy Bob was engaged when she married him. She broke up Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawke''s marriage, and she tried to make a play for Mr. Bandaras.
Honestly, I''d go a step further than Kelly Ripa, I''d say my DH COULDNT work with her. I trust my DH, but she is a serpant.... a totally hot serpant, I''d even be tempted around her... and sometimes, well, you shouldn''t play in the garden of eden.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I must be in solo in the camp that doesn''t find Angelina Jolie hot.

Yes, physically she''s pretty. I''ll give her that much. But I find her to be incredibly odd. I think my ability to remember her making out with her brother, the vile of blood around her neck...these things give me the creeps. And, yes, she had gained a messure of class over the years that wasn''t there in younger, wilder days...but those days are still very much a part of her.

I admire her ability to adopt children and give them a better home...but I also vividly remember her remarks about her biological daughter Shilo which were (IMO) awful, horrible things to say about a child. I think that while it''s nobel of her to go far and wide for a good cause, I think **many** people out of the spotlight do the same thing. Angelina has an army of nannies, helpers and assistants...she has money enough to never have to worry about supporting a village of children. And there are people far less fortunate than Jolie is who still go forward and adopt 3 or 4 or 5 children. IMHO, it''s kind and admirable...but it''s certianly not revolutionary.

All and all, I wonder just who exactly Angelina Jolie is. Is she the blood-wearing girl? The missionary? Is everything an act? I don''t find her attractive because I don''t find her to be genuine.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 9:46:41 AM
Author: Italiahaircolor
I must be in solo in the camp that doesn''t find Angelina Jolie hot.

Yes, physically she''s pretty. I''ll give her that much. But I find her to be incredibly odd. I think my ability to remember her making out with her brother, the vile of blood around her neck...these things give me the creeps. And, yes, she had gained a messure of class over the years that wasn''t there in younger, wilder days...but those days are still very much a part of her.

I admire her ability to adopt children and give them a better home...but I also vividly remember her remarks about her biological daughter Shilo which were (IMO) awful, horrible things to say about a child. I think that while it''s nobel of her to go far and wide for a good cause, I think **many** people out of the spotlight do the same thing. Angelina has an army of nannies, helpers and assistants...she has money enough to never have to worry about supporting a village of children. And there are people far less fortunate than Jolie is who still go forward and adopt 3 or 4 or 5 children. IMHO, it''s kind and admirable...but it''s certianly not revolutionary.

All and all, I wonder just who exactly Angelina Jolie is. Is she the blood-wearing girl? The missionary? Is everything an act? I don''t find her attractive because I don''t find her to be genuine.
Hmm... maybe I dind''t get my opp across. I find her physically attractive, she is beautiful. WEIRD, but gorgeous.
Yes I remember her making out with her brother, the blood, the weird stuff. But then again, I think that her need to adopt all these children stems from something far deeper, she is trying to fill a void within herself with human babies. (Um, just because you are famous doesn''t mean you don''t have daddy issues.) I don''t feel she is selfless at all. The fact that brad pitt is with her also makes me remember the days when people would talk about the fact that he wouldnt bathe and was also very weird. He did date Juiliette Lewis for awhile, and they were an odd combo. Gwennie kinda cleaned him up... and made him more normal, but I think he''s a weirdo too.
Last night at the oscars they totally punked the interviewer, and wouldnt even give the perfunctary who are you wearing business... and they were BOTH NOMINATED.
They are skeezy and deserve each other.
Jen totally came off looking glamorous and vulnerable. I never liked her on friends. I only liked her when friends ended, she had trouble getting her movie career off the ground, and brad left her. She just seems like a good girl... and someone who would be a good friend. I would be on team Jen. Besides did you see burn after reading, brad pitt just looks tired and old. NOT HOT. He''s washed up ugly. That is why he could play an oldman child... oh and the scenes where he is sooo gorgeous... um yeah, he is upstaged by cate blanchett who really IS gorgeous.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 2:16:55 AM
Author: FrekeChild
I was wondering that too, but then I remembered how I cried at last year''s tribute.

I think there would have been a mob if he hadn''t won supporting actor. There wasn''t a dry eye in the house...

ETA: Jenn gets mad props from me too.
I didn''t see last years so I was wondering why there wasn''t a tribute this year but that makes sense. I am so glad he won!! Loved Jen last night too.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 10:31:38 AM
Author: tlh
Hmm... maybe I dind''t get my opp across. I find her physically attractive, she is beautiful. WEIRD, but gorgeous.
Yes I remember her making out with her brother, the blood, the weird stuff. But then again, I think that her need to adopt all these children stems from something far deeper, she is trying to fill a void within herself with human babies. (Um, just because you are famous doesn''t mean you don''t have daddy issues.) I don''t feel she is selfless at all. The fact that brad pitt is with her also makes me remember the days when people would talk about the fact that he wouldnt bathe and was also very weird. He did date Juiliette Lewis for awhile, and they were an odd combo. Gwennie kinda cleaned him up... and made him more normal, but I think he''s a weirdo too.
Last night at the oscars they totally punked the interviewer, and wouldnt even give the perfunctary who are you wearing business... and they were BOTH NOMINATED.
They are skeezy and deserve each other.
Jen totally came off looking glamorous and vulnerable. I never liked her on friends. I only liked her when friends ended, she had trouble getting her movie career off the ground, and brad left her. She just seems like a good girl... and someone who would be a good friend. I would be on team Jen. Besides did you see burn after reading, brad pitt just looks tired and old. NOT HOT. He''s washed up ugly. That is why he could play an oldman child... oh and the scenes where he is sooo gorgeous... um yeah, he is upstaged by cate blanchett who really IS gorgeous.
I noticed that too! They gave the smiles, then started to walk on before even talking to them - they''d say a few words as they were walking away. Just putting on the show b/c they''re supposed to, not b/c they wanted to, at least that''s how it appears when you don''t give people the time of day.

pixie1216

Rough_Rock
i am sure i''m in the minority,and will probably get slammed for this, but here it goes. i''m sure heath ledger deserved his oscar win, i didn''t see the movie, but have heard he was great. what i find a little strange is how he is so revered now after his death. he died of drugs, he deprived his very young daughter of having her father in her life. i wonder how great a father he was while he was doing his drugs? he made a choice that cost him his life and will affect that little girl for the rest of her life. he made a good movie, does that make him a saint?

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
I was wondering about both of those things. I thought it was so strange that Heath wasn''t mentioned in the video. I pictured his parents sitting there being upset about it, but I never thought they may have requested it.
As for Jennifer... i thought I saw her look their way at one point. What an aqueward situation... But at least Jennifer looked beautiful!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
TLH,
I am with you on not thinking Brad is so hot now. I used to think he was awesome, but after what he did, he doesn''t look too good to me anymore
3.gif

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 12:04:29 PM
Author: pixie1216
i am sure i''m in the minority,and will probably get slammed for this, but here it goes. i''m sure heath ledger deserved his oscar win, i didn''t see the movie, but have heard he was great. what i find a little strange is how he is so revered now after his death. he died of drugs, he deprived his very young daughter of having her father in her life. i wonder how great a father he was while he was doing his drugs? he made a choice that cost him his life and will affect that little girl for the rest of her life. he made a good movie, does that make him a saint?
I''d just like to clarify that he died of an accidental, prescription drug overdose, not a class A drug overdose. Plus, I hardly think he would have intentionally killed himself even if he was doing drugs.

I also think his performance was outstanding, he was the character, no way was that Heath Ledger, that''s how convincing he was. Also, he was a very well respected and liked person and actor and people are saddended by the accidental loss of such a young guy, its got nothing to do with being a saint.

He deserved his oscar win..........his daughter, his parents and sister deserved to see it.

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
oh.......and I too don''t think Brad is hot, just not my type.

I sky+''d the oscars cos they''re on during the night here and haven''t watched them yet so I''m interested in seeing the Jen/Brad/Ange thang.

I remember watching an interview of Angelina in the Actors Studio and she said a really weird thing that when she was 14 her boyfriend lived with her in her mothers house! I found this extremely weird that a woman would allow her young teenage daughter to sleep with someone firstly at 14, but to allow them to live together as couple when they were so young is/was highly irresponsible.

She also went on to say that she''d only ever slept with her 2 ex-husbands, 2 boyfriends and a girl and that although she''s in touch with her sexuality she doesn''t like being promiscuous and when she falls in love, its 100% commitment and monogomy. That I was quite suprised at.

No-one will ever know the truth about what went on with her and Brad, but I reckon they fell in love but didn''t do anything until he was divorced from Jen and then they went for it big style. I think she''s just one of these women who is soooo confident about herself and because she is tall, lithe, big boobed and has big luscious lips that many men find her irresistable. However, if you look at the body language of her and Billy-bob, she did all the running to him, he looked overwhelmed with it all.

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 12:10:39 PM
Author: CrookedRock
I was wondering about both of those things. I thought it was so strange that Heath wasn''t mentioned in the video. I pictured his parents sitting there being upset about it, but I never thought they may have requested it.
As for Jennifer... i thought I saw her look their way at one point. What an aqueward situation... But at least Jennifer looked beautiful!
You know I''m prob in the minority here, but Brad never did it for me. And he certainly doesn''t now. I just put him in that "strange" category with Angelina now.

As for Heath winning. He deserved it!! He made tht movie what it is imho. It''s also my understanding that his death was accidental. Even if it wasn''t though, what good would it do to not recognize him for the great things he has done. Espicially for his daughter''s sake. I don''t think anyone has called him a saint. He clearly had issues, but he certainly wasn''t a bad person. You can''t be liked by that many if you didn''t have something good going for ya.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 12:04:29 PM
Author: pixie1216
No one has called Heath a saint...and his death was under horrible circumstances, accidental or otherwise...drugs are nothing to play around with. However, his work is absolutely incredible. The Dark Knight was an incredible movie because the Joker was so believable, and depraved and psychcotic. I urge you to watch the movie...

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 1:40:40 PM
No one has called Heath a saint...and his death was under horrible circumstances, accidental or otherwise...drugs are nothing to play around with. However, his work is absolutely incredible. The Dark Knight was an incredible movie because the Joker was so believable, and depraved and psychcotic. I urge you to watch the movie...
I agree, his performance was the ANTI-JACK of the 90''s. Very deserving indeed. But I must admit, I was troubled to see his portrayal of this character, as I saw the movie, after he died. It made me wonder if he got so into his character that he needed medicine... or if this self pain and anguish was really what Heath was going through in his final days that he NEEDED all that prescription medication. Either way it is really sad.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I''m gonna get flamed.

I thought Heath Ledger did a great job in the Dark Knight however...

He did not come up with the Joker all by himself. There are comic books about the Joker. Jack Nicholson has played the Joker. Ledger basically made that character something unfamiliar to everyone''s perception of the Joker and he did it brilliantly and consistently. I know everyone was expecting him to win the Oscar because it was a great performance, but it wasn''t based off an original idea. He had plenty of things to make it the anti-everything else everyone already knows about the Joker.

I just believe that perhaps an Oscar would be more beneficial to someone whose career could be catapulted by the win than to honor someone who has passed.
I was rooting for Philip Seymour Hoffman who has come so far over such a long period of time.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 2:51:16 PM
Author: Starset Princess
Okay, I''m gonna get flamed.

He did not come up with the Joker all by himself. There are comic books about the Joker. Jack Nicholson has played the Joker. Ledger basically made that character something unfamiliar to everyone''s perception of the Joker and he did it brilliantly and consistently. I know everyone was expecting him to win the Oscar because it was a great performance, but it wasn''t based off an original idea. He had plenty of things to make it the anti-everything else everyone already knows about the Joker.

I just believe that perhaps an Oscar would be more beneficial to someone whose career could be catapulted by the win than to honor someone who has passed.
I was rooting for Philip Seymour Hoffman who has come so far over such a long period of time.

No, Heath wasn''t the "original joker" but her certainly turned up the heat when it comes to play that character 10 fold.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 2:51:16 PM
Okay, I'm gonna get flamed.

He did not come up with the Joker all by himself. There are comic books about the Joker. Jack Nicholson has played the Joker. Ledger basically made that character something unfamiliar to everyone's perception of the Joker and he did it brilliantly and consistently. I know everyone was expecting him to win the Oscar because it was a great performance, but it wasn't based off an original idea. He had plenty of things to make it the anti-everything else everyone already knows about the Joker.

No one is saying that he came up with the Joker character himself. Obviously he didn't. That goes without saying. But he did turn it into something that no one else could have.

And that's the thing, none of these actors came up with their characters unless they wrote the script. They are just following the writers lead and coming up with character quirks once given the role. I think that Heath did a wonderful job. I think all of the actors and actresses did a wonderful job. But Heath became that character. There are a lot of thoughts that he died because he enveloped himself in that character. Many of those are from his closest family and friends. He took it above an beyond. I was in awe of his performance.

Besides. Philip can still win next year and hopefully for the next 20 years if he doesn't win it next year. I will be shocked if he doesn't win it eventually.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
The loss of Heath Ledger has completely changed the future of American film, in my opinion. He was poised to become the greatest actor of his (and my) time. I still get upset thinking about his death.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 3:52:01 PM
Author: musey
The loss of Heath Ledger has completely changed the future of American film, in my opinion. He was poised to become the greatest actor of his (and my) time. I still get upset thinking about his death.
How so? I find that a very interesting statement...because I guess I don''t "see" that in film. No doubt that some his movies were important...but I don''t see how he will change American film forever...

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock

Okay, I'm gonna get flamed.

He did not come up with the Joker all by himself. There are comic books about the Joker. Jack Nicholson has played the Joker. Ledger basically made that character something unfamiliar to everyone's perception of the Joker and he did it brilliantly and consistently. I know everyone was expecting him to win the Oscar because it was a great performance, but it wasn't based off an original idea. He had plenty of things to make it the anti-everything else everyone already knows about the Joker.
True, but that isn't what acting is about. It's about communicating the script in as true and meaningful a way as possible. I don't think you could find a single person who worked on that film that would say that his performance wasn't above and beyond anyone's expectations - or dreams, for that matter.

Acting isn't as much about "creation" as people make it out to be. It's primarily interpretive work (which does require creativity, of course). The writers are the true creative minds behind a film. It is an actor's job to do the writer's work justice, which often also includes creative license, but only to a certain degree.

Sure, but that's not what awards are about. They are about honoring outstanding work. Now, sometimes people get these awards just because they are "due" (and I do not agree with this, it just happens), but I don't believe that Heath's win had anything to do with that. Also keep in mind that the oscar buzz around this role started even before his death (even before the movie was wrapped, for that matter) - so he didn't win this award just because he died.

Also, to be fair, Philip Seymour Hoffman doesn't need much of any help in the career department
2.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 3:58:31 PM
Date: 2/23/2009 3:52:01 PM
Author: musey
How so? I find that a very interesting statement...because I guess I don't 'see' that in film. No doubt that some his movies were important...but I don't see how he will change American film forever...
No, he won't change it, because he is no longer here to do so. I wasn't saying that his work changed it, it was what he would have done in the future, had he not died. The direction that film would/could have taken has been altered by his no longer being here.

It's not based on just the fact that he was an outstanding actor, it's based on the plans that he had (and that others had for him) that the majority of people believe only he could have done justice to. There are important and pivotal movies that will never be made, important and pivotal roles that will never be played, because he is not here to play those roles and make those movies. He was right on the cusp of these things, and passed away before any of it could have been set into motion.

There are certain people who change the shape of their industry. Heath was one of them - or would have been. His absence will cause the industry to develop in a different direction than it otherwise would/could have.

pixie1216

Rough_Rock
philip seymour hoffman won a best actor oscar for capote.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Angelina IS A HO. And Brad can $uck it.
3.gif

Jen is such a class act! I just love her....and her little adorable self
2.gif
Looked gorgeous as always...
5.gif

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 5:18:19 PM
Author: Dreamgirl
Angelina IS A HO. And Brad can $uck it.
3.gif
Ummm... ok

TGal~ I have to agree with you on that. Heath def brought something to the table that was different than what had always been there. He stepped outside of a normal comfort level for most actors to play that Joker role. I do believe that the industry has suffered a great loss at his death. I can still remember when my English teacher in 9th grade made us watch A Knight''s Tale. Still one of my favorite movies. I loved Heath from the second he hit the screen. He really just commanded attention.
5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results