shape
carat
color
clarity

Heated ruby or Unheated Pink Sapphire?

Jamie_c_l

Rough_Rock
I'm looking at a 2ct. pink sapphire with GIA no heat, for $4000.
Or a heat treated ruby for $7000.

That's a $3000 difference.

I like the price of the pink sapphire, and the fact that it has no heat treatment.

But I wonder if the heat treated ruby will still hold more value in the long run? Something to pass down in the family?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So let me ask you something;
Does that heated ruby also have a report?

If not, you'll want one that does. The difference between a ruby and a sapphire usually comes down to whomever is selling it or, an independent report by a high level lab.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends. How does the color make you feel? The color of an unheated pink sapphire might not excite me as much as a heated ruby.

I would never spend significant money on either without an AGL report.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd say go with whatever is in budget and speaks to YOU. There's no telling how much someone else may appreciate either option down the road, so get whichever you love more, and enjoy it.

Jamie_c_l

Rough_Rock
Arcadian|1488834243|4137228 said:

If not, you'll want one that does. The difference between a ruby and a sapphire usually comes down to whomever is selling it or, an independent report by a high level lab.

Yes I forgot to mention the heated ruby also comes with GIA report - they both do.
I wonder which would hold the value better...?

Jamie_c_l

Rough_Rock
Elliot86|1488847927|4137326 said:
Depends. How does the color make you feel? The color of an unheated pink sapphire might not excite me as much as a heated ruby.

I would never spend significant money on either without an AGL report.

You wouldn't purchase any gemstone with GIA report?

Jamie_c_l

Rough_Rock
JoCoJenn|1488854762|4137399 said:
I'd say go with whatever is in budget and speaks to YOU. There's no telling how much someone else may appreciate either option down the road, so get whichever you love more, and enjoy it.

How true. :angel:

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, one is pink and one is red, so... either whichever colour I liked better, or one now and one later. ;-)

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I definitely agree that if one wants a ruby, I would have the stone certed by AGL and pay for the full report. A heated Ruby may have other treatments not detectable by the naked eye and I would want to know what that would be. A ruby too can have varying shades of 'red' and some may be called a ruby by the seller, but appear to y our eyes more like a 'pink' sapphire because of the lighter shade of 'red.' So I wouldn't just take a sellers word for either stone but have it certed. But first and foremost what do you want? Because I think a ruby is different from a pink sapphire -- meaning a varying shade of color. I've seen some rubies that are lighter in shades of red and didn't find it was my liking whereas I've seen saturated, intense pink sapphire which would stop me in my tracks! So it's up to you to decide what you really want as the price per carat for either gemstone will vary. $3000 difference is a pretty large difference, so I would narrow down on what you really want and can afford.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jamie_c_l|1488855115|4137407 said:
Arcadian|1488834243|4137228 said:

Yes I forgot to mention the heated ruby also comes with GIA report - they both do.
I wonder which would hold the value better...?

There are lots of factors that will help a stone "hold value"; cut, color, origin are some of those. Some labs are highly regarded more than others. For the most part, consumers do highly regard GIA. AGL and GRS are also highly regarded. Its not to say that other highly regarded labs are terrible, but GIA has name recognition and known by most people, so there you are.

Here's some good reads;
https://www.gia.edu/ruby-quality-factor
top color ruby
Ruby can command the highest prices of any colored gemstone. The per-carat prices of fine-quality rubies have been rising consistently, many times breaking auction records.

For better-quality material, slight differences in color can make significant differences in value. For top-color ruby that’s also free of eye-visible inclusions, the price rises even more.

The per-carat price of ruby can also increase dramatically as size increases, especially for better-quality stones.

Color

Untreated and Heat-treated Rubies

Color is the most significant factor affecting a ruby’s value. The finest ruby has a pure, vibrant red to slightly purplish red color. As the color becomes too orangy or more purplish, the ruby moves down the quality scale. The highest-quality rubies have vivid color saturation.

The color must be neither too dark nor too light to be considered finest quality. If the color is too dark it has a negative effect on the stone’s brightness. At the other extreme, if the color is too light, the stone is considered pink sapphire, even if color strength or intensity is high.

Some gem dealers debate the borderline between ruby and pink sapphire. Historically, the word ruby referred to shades of red, which technically included pink. There are also cultural differences in the interpretation of ruby versus pink sapphire. In some gem-producing nations such as Sri Lanka, pink colors were always considered ruby, while in many consuming countries it is classified as pink sapphire.

The GIA Laboratory uses a controlled set of comparison stones called masterstones to determine if corundum is ruby or if it’s pink, purple, or orange sapphire. The laboratory grades its masterstones on the principle that red must be the dominant hue before a stone can be called a ruby. In the gem trade, though, identification of the dominant hue is subject to personal perception.

Blood is another symbol of ruby’s color. Descriptions have compared ruby to the “blood from the right ventricle” or the first two drops of blood from a freshly killed pigeon. Historically, the term “pigeon’s blood” described the red to slightly purplish or pinkish red color of rubies with a soft, glowing, red fluorescence.

Traditional descriptions like these are useful for evoking images and describing color among professionals. But they can be subject to misinterpretation when used to describe a ruby’s actual color.

http://www.pigeonsblood.com/
from GRS website
GRS's DEFINITION OF "PIGEON'S BLOOD"

Pigeon’s blood color is a vivid red color (high intensity and low tone, e.g. no brown and orange overtones) of a certain group of natural rubies. Rubies exhibit medium to strong fluorescence if exposed to UV (365nm) light (Report samples).

Chemically the following compositions are found in GRS-type "pigeon’s blood" rubies:

High chromium (Cr) of approx. 0.3 to 0.5 wt-% (or higher) none, very low to medium iron (Fe), while the ratio of Cr/Fe is greater than 1 (individual face-up color and fluorescence- corrections are also applied)
Color is graded in day light using master sets as “vivid red” and the color descriptive term GRS-type “pigeon’s blood” is added
The pigeon’s blood color grade at GRS is applied independently of the origin and the rubies can either be heat-treated or unheated

The pigeon’s blood label is NOT granted for:

beryllium-treated
lead-glass-treated (Hybrid rubies)
surface diffusion treated and
synthetic rubies as well as the following natural stones with residues from heating: H(c) and H(d)
I'm not an appraiser or in the trade, I'm just making a best guess. Others with more knowledge than I will hopefully chime in.

Basically
above 5ct mark,
has few eye visible inclusions,
is vivid in color (in your case red or pink),
has the right origins,
has excellent cut,
has corresponding reports from a high tier laboratory.

S

SparkliesLuver

Have you made a decision? Did you ever post pictures? Sometimes that really helps people give opinions.

My comments will probably be similar to others, but I'd choose whichever spoke to me the most, regardless of what might, possibly, maybe be (more) valuable down the line. If you attach sentimental value to it along the way, I'm sure your family will cherish that more than anything. :) Good luck deciding!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jamie_c_l|1488831520|4137211 said:
I'm looking at a 2ct. pink sapphire with GIA no heat, for $4000.
Or a heat treated ruby for $7000.

That's a $3000 difference.

I like the price of the pink sapphire, and the fact that it has no heat treatment.

But I wonder if the heat treated ruby will still hold more value in the long run? Something to pass down in the family?

It'll depend on the colour quality of both stones. Wish I could give you a better answer but the 2 aren't comparable without more information. It could be a fabulous pink vs a drab red.

binay1702

Rough_Rock
i would like to go with unheated pink sapphire if color and clarity is at par with the heated ruby.

binay1702

Rough_Rock
i would like to go with unheated pink sapphire if color and clarity is at par with the heated ruby.

binay1702

Rough_Rock

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Chrono is correct; what does it look like??? I think that has a lot to do with value.. It can have all the pedigrees in the world but if it is ugly who will want it???

You have to be happy with it; love wearing it; which will bring you more joy???

Most Respectfully;

Dana Reynolds
ASG Certified
Supreme Master gem Cutter
#96CGE42

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results