-0.875 carats, F, SI2
-depth 62.1
-table 57
-crown 35.2
-pavillion 40.8
-girdle 1.5-2%
-1.8 on the HCA
-measurements 6.1 x 6.13 x 3.8

is this a very good deal? how comparable is a hearts on fire with CBI?
i did view it through a loupe and it was very red with some green on the edges.

thank you!

Last edited:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a good deal, imho. I’d be asking a few questions here- who are you buying from? Where has the stone been since 2003? If it’s preloved then it might need recertified to assess for any damage. Is it eye clean? I don’t see HoF diamonds recommended here much but do know they are priced at a high premium retail.

There‘s this CBI for the same money- way better clarity and only a teeny bit smaller, you get all the service and upgrade policies included:

Here‘s a WF ACA also for the same money, bigger, better clarity,

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Because it was graded that long ago, you may want to have it’s rating re-evaluated as AGS revised its criteria but I cannot recall the year. Also, as suggested, if you are purchasing pre-loved, having it re-certed is a good idea as the clarity may have changed due to wear. I do know HoF were overpriced, and cutting technology has advanced since their popularity. With all that said, it could still be killer... but a re-evaluation is prudent so you won’t be paying for something being touted than it is (AGS 0 vs AGS 1, as example). And you should be away of the stone’s condition.

lightfish

Rough_Rock
Not a good deal, imho. I’d be asking a few questions here- who are you buying from? Where has the stone been since 2003? If it’s preloved then it might need recertified to assess for any damage. Is it eye clean? I don’t see HoF diamonds recommended here much but do know they are priced at a high premium retail.

There‘s this CBI for the same money- way better clarity and only a teeny bit smaller, you get all the service and upgrade policies included:

Here‘s a WF ACA also for the same money, bigger, better clarity,

It's from a local brick and mortar store that's closing down after 40 years. The original price was 9800+, which then became around 7000. For Christmas they're having a 20% off flash sale before they close.

Thanks for the comparisons with CBI and ACA, I was just wondering whether the hearts on fire was comparable to them. It looks like the price is similar other than a 'free' setting.

lightfish

Rough_Rock
Because it was graded that long ago, you may want to have it’s rating re-evaluated as AGS revised its criteria but I cannot recall the year. Also, as suggested, if you are purchasing pre-loved, having it re-certed is a good idea as the clarity may have changed due to wear. I do know HoF were overpriced, and cutting technology has advanced since their popularity. With all that said, it could still be killer... but a re-evaluation is prudent so you won’t be paying for something being touted than it is (AGS 0 vs AGS 1, as example). And you should be away of the stone’s condition.

Thank you for replying. We did see it in person with the handheld ASET scope, but it wasn't cleaned and I didn't locate the SI1. That's a good point that cutting technology has probably changed a lot since 2003.

It's from a local brick and mortar store that's closing down after 40 years. The original price was 9800+, which then became around 7000. For Christmas they're having a 20% off flash sale before they close.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
would love to have your opinion on a hearts on fire diamond going for $5800:

Fair Price: 50% off of $5800.

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
If you do buy it, like others said, please have it evaluated by an independent appraiser immediately. If the store is going out of business and you found out later, you may have no recourse. Are they insisting on "no returns/refunds," like you will often see with GOOB sales? That in itself holds (or detracts) value and should influence price.

I would have to wonder why such a popular sized, colorless, and known brand of stone is left sitting around with a 2003 report? What is the grade setting inclusion? Was it a trade-in? Has this stone really been in their store 15+ years being tried on with no takers? Just curious:)

If you love it, CYA to make sure you can have it appraised and work your best deal!

lightfish

Rough_Rock
If you do buy it, like others said, please have it evaluated by an independent appraiser immediately. If the store is going out of business and you found out later, you may have no recourse. Are they insisting on "no returns/refunds," like you will often see with GOOB sales? That in itself holds (or detracts) value and should influence price.

I would have to wonder why such a popular sized, colorless, and known brand of stone is left sitting around with a 2003 report? What is the grade setting inclusion? Was it a trade-in? Has this stone really been in their store 15+ years being tried on with no takers? Just curious:)

If you love it, CYA to make sure you can have it appraised and work your best deal!

Thank you for the advice! I didn't like that the cert was from 2003. We weren't looking to buy it as the price is too similar to CBI/HPD in similar specs online, and we are currently saving to get a CBI in the 1-1.2 size in a couple years.

Not sure whether it's been sitting in the store since 2003, although it might be possible since this is in the South. Most people here either wear much larger size stones or around 0.3-0.5, and I haven't seen any in the 0.8-1.3 range in person.

Thank you again!

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Does the cert from 2003 really a big deal?

I have seen and held in my hand these HOF stones, and all I can say is they are beautiful. I cannot comment on the price, only you can determine if you are willing to pay. They have always commanded a premium.

A few years ago I was in St. Martin and held a 3 carat HOF in my hand, I seem to recall the price was north of $100K. I have never held such a spectacular looking stone, no matter how you rotated it, it was amazing.

If you think the price is high, you could always make an offer, you never know because you say they are closing shop.
Good luck.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cert being from 2003 is a big deal. While the color and proportions may be the same, the clarity and finish may not.
Some abrasions and micro chips during 16 yrs of previously ownership can potentially downgrade the finish and clarity grade to I1.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I now understand......yes, redgrading would be a good move

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fair Price: 50% off of $5800.

Agree!

Cash talks, BS walks.

Walk in with $2,500 cash and put on the table. Each time they reject or a minute elapses they don't accept your deal, pull a $100 bill. At $2,000 pull all the cash and walk out.

If they pull you back in, $2k is your max offer.

Remember, this is a pre-loved stone where they did a similar thing to someone else. If they are truly going out of business, there time table and amount of buyers are short. You are in a position to leverage the deal in your favor.

If they don't bite then buy a CBI.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree!

Cash talks, BS walks.

Walk in with $2,500 cash and put on the table. Each time they reject or a minute elapses they don't accept your deal, pull a $100 bill. At $2,000 pull all the cash and walk out.

If they pull you back in, $2k is your max offer.

Remember, this is a pre-loved stone where they did a similar thing to someone else. If they are truly going out of business, there time table and amount of buyers are short. You are in a position to leverage the deal in your favor.

If they don't bite then buy a CBI.

This. All of it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results