shape
carat
color
clarity

Hearts on Fire no longer growing

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Hearts on Fire to close more than 120 accounts at retail stores
Founded in 1996, Hearts on Fire is sold in 34 countries, including locations throughout the United Kingdom, Asia and the Caribbean. Most closures will be in the United States.
-- read more http://www.antwerpfacetsonline.be/hearts-fire-close-more-120-accounts-retail-stores

Sergey and Yuri have for a long time been saying that using H&A''s as the basis for a brand was a risky strategy because the rising standards of equipment and technology would make the level of symmetry and polish that is HoF''s minimum standard become generic.

I think we can see that has really been happening over the past decade.

windguy

Rough_Rock
with the price of HoF no wonder this is happening.

With internet today and the wealth of information we can find, it''s ahrd to pay the premium for HoF...

I was shopping yesterday in B&M stores for diamonds and I knew mot of the times more than the salesperson, just by reading online.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/10/2010 2:41:25 PM
Author:Garry H (Cut Nut)

Founded in 1996, Hearts on Fire is sold in 34 countries, including locations throughout the United Kingdom, Asia and the Caribbean. Most closures will be in the United States.
-- read more http://www.antwerpfacetsonline.be/hearts-fire-close-more-120-accounts-retail-stores

Sergey and Yuri have for a long time been saying that using H&A's as the basis for a brand was a risky strategy because the rising standards of equipment and technology would make the level of symmetry and polish that is HoF's minimum standard become generic.

Ah, but do all those other H&A vendors cut their stones in a completely vibration-free building?
11.gif

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
We were one of the first dealers in the U.S. for HOF, but quickly figured out that we could find a comparable product for a better price with other diamond companies... For awhile, we offered our clients a ''taste test'' between the HOF production and the other H&A quality diamonds we had purchased and discovered that our clients were not willing to pay the premium for the name, but they definitely liked the brilliance, dispersion and scintillation of a nice H&A quality diamond.

iamgwar

Rough_Rock
10 years ago I purchased a HoF diamond (the cheeper Sabria line without the laser inscription) and I never regreted it one bit. While researching diamonds I quickly learned cut was King and HoF had the best cut in town. The quality of the stone and Jabel setting are still admired and commented on by strangers....
Today I will not buy a HoF at full price... in fact I can get a .92 ct at half off (store no longer selling the brand) and am not biting.

This is kind of sad but also just show progress of others...

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HoF is too expensive and most people just don''t want to pay that mark up.

Bosie

Shiny_Rock
Gary
Read the article in the link, you said in your post they are "no longer growing", I will defer to you because you are in the business, but I did not read that in the article. They said they were closing 120 stores, mostly in the US to consolidate. I am not sure what their reasoning is, but perhaps they don''t like the discounting going on and want to control that with less suppliers. In the US, Rolex went thru the same thing, I know of atleast 2 Rolex AD''s in northern NJ who have been a Rolex AD for over 25 yrs and Rolex revoked their franchise. We do not know exactly why, but some think it is to control the supply, and if less dealers have the product, less discounting will go on. Rolex does not like their watches to be discounted by the AD''s.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I am going to call my HOF vendor tomorrow to discuss this news. I have a fair amount of HOF jewelry, including my e-ring. I want to be sure that their account with HOF is stable. Thanks for posting the article.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
The first time I saw H&As under a viewer was at store carrying HOF. Very beautiful and impressive stones. The prices were so high, though!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock

Sergey and Yuri have for a long time been saying that using H&A''s as the basis for a brand was a risky strategy because the rising standards of equipment and technology would make the level of symmetry and polish that is HoF''s minimum standard become generic.

I think BGD and Whiteflash have built strong businesses on the same premise but they don''t over charge.

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock

Here are the hearts images of generic rounds that I''ve bought that were not marketed as H&A. These are either AGS ideal or GIA excellent for symmetry.

heartsgeneric613.jpg

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Garry,

You never cease to amaze me. It really reflects badly upon you, to take one message, without knowing the context, in order to arrive at two conclusions that have no foundation, being:
1. HOF is no longer growing.
2. A bad marketing-emphasis is the cause for that decline.

Even the worst bar-side-talk has more value than what you produced here.

Live long,

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I was suprised to see a ''Hearts on Fire'' store at a Retail Outlet Centre I was at here in the UK on Saturday.

And amazed that they had at least 50% discount on pretty much all their stock - oh and I was the only person in the store for the whole time I was in there.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A real "Brand" must have something of actual importance to truloy differentiate itself from the possible competition. Since the technology of diamond cutting is becoming universally better, the HOF decision to brand based on perfect H&A, etc is now being pretty much duplicated by generic cutters. Some special cutters, such as Antwerp Paul take greater pains to make perfection than others and perfection is an illusice and costly pursuit worth some sort of premium to a fraction of buyers. Is it enough to sustain a brand or enough to even continue to grow the brand over the long term? Time will tell us for certain, but consolidation hints at dealer''s choosing to discount or a public less willing to pay a top premium price.

No one must pay a premium price to get a very fine diamond, but some do choose to shop by brand or store name recognition. That is perfectly fine with me. Brand names which mean quality and store names which mean quality short cut the buying process for those who feel that is the way they wish to go when making a costly purchase. My BMW is not truly better than many less costly cars, but it was my choice and suited my style of what I''d want to drive. I certainly can go nicely from point A to point B in a far less costly car and in just about the same comfort and speed.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

I was shocked to see so many house brand h&a and AGS0 diamonds being advertised at the local mall.
h&a is getting to be generic as more cutters can/do cut them these days.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speaking as a consumer: I''ve been to several HOF B&M stores and looked at a lot of HOF stones. The hearts and arrows are amazing when you see them thru a loupe, but when I looked at the stones with the naked eye, they were not impressive at all. Also, the stones were not very large--none over 1.25 ct. Why would anyone want something that looks great under a loupe but blah without a loupe?

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The phrase "The emperor has no clothes" came to mind the first time I looked at a HOF stone.

lecie

Rough_Rock
This question doesn''t relate to your topic but I wanted your opinion. I''ve recentally purchased a Solasfera Ten H&A. From all the fourms and websites I have been on it states that it comes with a Gemex and an GIA certificate. The ring came with a IGI instead of a GIA. Can it come from another lab? Even on the Solasfera website it ask for the GIA report number or the password, which I dont have either to register the ring. I have the Solasfera ID number but it ask for the GIA or password as well. I''m questioning the rings authenticity and wondering if I should return it based off certification. The rings sparkles, I saw the h&a under the scope, the laserscribed trademark stamp, but it''s missing the GIA. IGI could now be one of the certifications but I''m just not seeing evidence that supports this. Please Help!!!
Dwayne

Bosie

Shiny_Rock
Lecie
You might want to start a new thread on your topic.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 7:33:13 PM
Author: Laila619
HoF is too expensive and most people just don''t want to pay that mark up.

Ditto. These days their prices are unrealistic.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2010 2:56:41 PM
Author: Madam Bijoux
The phrase ''The emperor has no clothes'' came to mind the first time I looked at a HOF stone.

madam, I have to admit I had the same reaction as you..
(Now please, I know we have HOF owners on the board and I am *not* knocking their diamonds or pieces, this is simply my experience)

For me, they were simply un-impressive. My GOG H&A easily out-shined any of the HoF stones, and the prices? just totally ridiculous.
I am not surprised to hear their market share is declining.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

National Jeweler might think the same of Cartier??
27.gif

"Cartier is closing accounts at a number of stores that sold its high-end watches, National Jeweler has learned, making it the second high-profile brand to cut retailers this month."

http://www.idexonline.com/portal_FullNews.asp?SID=&id=33718

Well..., at least they placed both firms in the same boat.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results