shape
carat
color
clarity

Hearts & Arrows Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

snickers1101

Rough_Rock
I''ve finally found the setting I was looking for and will now be looking at diamonds. Can someone explain to me the difference between a hearts and arrows diamond that I found on Jewelers Row in Chicago versus the ones on Whiteflash? Are they different in any way? Thanks for any help you can give.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WF has a set standard for what they consider H&A. You can read about it on their website: www.whiteflash.com
I do not know what standard the Jeweler's Row store set their H&A by, therefore I am unable to comment on it.

Some vendors are very stringent in that nothing must be off: the arrows precise, the heart perfect and not lopsided, etc.
Other vendors are generous with their H&A statement in that as long as it has decent arrow, it passes.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2009 3:56:37 PM
Author:snickers1101
I've finally found the setting I was looking for and will now be looking at diamonds. Can someone explain to me the difference between a hearts and arrows diamond that I found on Jewelers Row in Chicago versus the ones on Whiteflash? Are they different in any way? Thanks for any help you can give.
Whiteflash A Cut Above hearts and arrows diamonds must pass stringent tests to be considered worthy of the brand name, these follow the criteria as originally laid out when h&a came into being. Read more here.

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/hna.asp

As to other h&a diamonds, some may be touted as being h&a but because a diamond shows a strong arrow pattern does not mean it is necessarily a h&a diamond. Also without hearts images it is not possible to judge a h&a diamond as we are taught here as the saying goes ' its all in the hearts,' so very important to have hearts images if you are to properly judge a h&a diamond. So remember just because a diamond shows hearts and arrows does not mean it meets the standards required which are agreed by experts to be considered a h&a diamond in reality. Also a well cut diamond may not show arrows or even hearts so it depends on what you are looking for. If you want an undisputed h&a diamond, then a branded cut diamond may be the way to go.

snickers1101

Rough_Rock
The ones I saw had very sharp hearts and arrows. The GIA report listed them as h&a. I just dont want to get "duped" since I''m still learning all this stuff.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2009 4:20:14 PM
Author: snickers1101
The ones I saw had very sharp hearts and arrows. The GIA report listed them as h&a. I just dont want to get 'duped' since I'm still learning all this stuff.
Its not really possible to say snickers without the all important hearts images and also arrow patterning belonging to that diamond, regardless of what is inscribed on a diamond. Do you have any images? The ' safest' way to buy a h&a if that matters to you is to go for a branded ACA, Infinity if buying online, or Hearts on Fire if you prefer to buy from a jewellery store, otherwise it isn't possible to say whether a diamond meets the standards without images and preferably expert evaluation.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think GIA grades H&A but I'm not sure.
33.gif
I thought it's just listed on the cert if it shows some H&A pattern but as I said, I really don't know.

snickers1101

Rough_Rock
I''m going Saturday so I will ask for all the specs and the reports, and hopefully a picture. Thanks for your help!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2009 4:31:46 PM
I''m going Saturday so I will ask for all the specs and the reports, and hopefully a picture. Thanks for your help!
As always, glad to help you snickers!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 4:20:14 PM
The ones I saw had very sharp hearts and arrows. The GIA report listed them as h&a. I just dont want to get ''duped'' since I''m still learning all this stuff.
GIA does not grade H&A, it is probably only reporting what is inscribed on the girdle, which can be anything you or the diamond cutter wants to inscribe on it before being sent to GIA for grading.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lorelei & Stone-Cold are correct... GIA reports what the manufacturer or seller had inscribed on the stone. Someone could have "D-Flawless" inscribed on a G-SI1 and they'd note it. Someone could have had "Hillary in 2008" or "Hockey Moms Rule" on the girdle and that would be noted in the comments section. Good thing inscriptions can be polished off huh?

1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results