shape
carat
color
clarity

Hearts... AND BEANS??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
I've been lurking on these boards for a month or two now, but this is my first post. I'm trying to put an e-ring together for my honey by January or February. Like everyone else, these forums have given me a wealth of information and tools for making the best purchase I can when it comes time (both in terms of value and the overall quality of the stone I ultimately choose).

I came across an interesting Hearts view on an item being sold by one of the respected vendors discussed here a lot. Obviously, the hearts are not great themselves, but I'm really curious about the white spots I can only describe as "beans" (think kidney version) between each of the hearts, on the outer rim of the diamond. (Hopefully the picture is attached). What causes this phenomenon? I haven't seen anything even remotely close in what now probably amounts to hundreds, maybe even 1000+ stones I've virtually looked at over the past 2 or 3 months.

Just curious... Thanks!
9.gif

*Edit: Oops - I was hoping to keep the vendor anonymous, but the picture itself shows its from GOG. FYI, I don't mean to suggest anything bad about the stone - it actually seems like a potentially good deal at more than 2 ct and just over $15k (see http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2415/); I'm just really curious (academically) about the phenomenon itself, since I haven't seen it before, and figured one of the diamond gurus here could explain the "beans" easily.

heartsnbeans.jpg

Bunnifer

Shiny_Rock
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA....Sorry, I can''t contribute anything edifying but your post made me laugh.
9.gif
31.gif

avlis

Shiny_Rock
i dont know if this cause the "beans", but that diamond is showing 3 extra facets or naturals (im not an expert, but there is some anomoly happening near the girdle in 2 places) on the sarin report and gem advisor.

StarSpun

Shiny_Rock
Oh wow! That''s neato!
If it performs well (looks like it does!), it would be a cool diamond to get....''cause it''s different!

I hope someone lets us all know about it:D

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought your title meant that you were going to eat beans for months on end to afford a great hearts and arrows stone!

LOL

Sorry I don''t know anything about RBs.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamonds wil really long lgf% tend to show them with his h&a viewer along with pitchfork looking arrows.
Just means that the lgf% is very long.
Should be a bright diamond with pin fire and not a lot of broad flashes.

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! - what is lgf%...?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lower girdle facets

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
You learn something everyday...
34.gif

The mystery of the beans is solved! - Thank you for indulging my curiosity.
35.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2006 11:28:09 AM
Author: ILikeBond
You learn something everyday...
34.gif

The mystery of the beans is solved! - Thank you for indulging my curiosity.
35.gif
You''re welcome. They are not something you hear a lot about, yet they undoubtedly contribute to a stones personality!

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
Here''s a picture of the hearts...

heartsnbeans2.jpg

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
... and the Brilliancescope.

hb_bscope.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol You are cracking me up with the beans!

I hope Jonathon sees this and comments.
9.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gas!
9.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LMAO. Someone directed me to this thread. Too funny.
9.gif
Honestly I've never studied the cause and effect of the beans before except that too many beans may cause excessive gas.
3.gif

I've noted them in H&A diamonds since we started carrying them back in 2000. Strms noble guess with the lgf% isn't the case however as we've noted the beans in lower girdle facet lengths all over the board from the low 70's to the mid to upper 80's.

I believe it has something to do with the relationship between the azimuth angles of the upper and lower half facets and their relationship with each other *after* establishing the fact of a set of cherry crown/pavilion angles but don't quote me on that.
5.gif

(note: azimuth angles are angles the facets are cut to in an east/west orientation, while slope angles, the more commonly reported vis GIA/AGS/Sarin/OGI reports are in the north/south orientation).

I can tell ya this ... if it impacted the stone in a negative manner we'd dis it. I've seen them referred to as butterfly wings too.

At best they're good for identification purposes but really there's no intrinsic benefit to them that I am aware of.

Kind regards,
Jonathan

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Too funny Ken. I think we may have been thinking the same gassy thoughts.
9.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think hearts and butterflies will sell a lot better than hearts and beans, personally.
2.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kinda looks like hearts and butts.
23.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/21/2006 4:47:46 PM
Author: kenny
Kinda looks like hearts and butts.
23.gif
ROFLOL!
37.gif
Ok ... I won''t take those thoughts any further!
3.gif
How ya been there ken? Hope this finds you and your family well.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Rhino, everything is great, but I''m getting fat.

Hearts and beer guts?

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hearts and beer guts?
Well ... if I had to choose between hearts and butts and hearts and beer guts, I''d vote for hearts and butts!
3.gif
DOH!
9.gif

Date: 11/21/2006 4:59:05 PM
Thanks Rhino, everything is great, but I''m getting fat.

Uh-oh ... then she must be a good cook.
3.gif
That''s both good and bad. When I first got married I had gained some myself. My wife loves to cook too and I LOVE TO EAT.
3.gif
If she is a good cook then you''ll have to do what I did and start doing a little more excersise. Please send your family my best regards Ken. I know its been a while since we last spoke.

Ex/Ex/Ex

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2006 4:15:07 PM
What a gas!
9.gif
9.gif

I have to admit, hearts and butterflies sounds more romantic...but beans is funnier!
11.gif

*not touching the butt*
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yea ds, hearts and butterflies would certainly market better however the butterflies still don''t amount to a hill of beans.
41.gif

Too funny Neil.
3.gif

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
Jonathan, I''m the original poster and just wanted to let you know I''ll actually be in the store tomorrow - maybe you can show me the butterfly-beans up close!
9.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If he has beans don''t get too close.
14.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results