shape
carat
color
clarity

Hearts and Arrows... how important is it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bravado

Rough_Rock
Hello to all the experts out there - I would very much appreciate your oppinions on this topic. I have has a quick scan through the forum and could not find any threads which relate to this topic. Basically, I have been shopping around for an ideal-cut diamond for a while now, and after talking to a few jewellers and a gemologist or two, I am picking up a common theme from some of them. Some of the people I have been speaking to are telling me not to get caught up too much with the whole "I want a diamond with H&A". Acdording to some - it''s more of a gimicky thing that only the Japanese customer''s insist on.

So my question to you experts out there is this: If I am after a diamond that will score highly on HCA, then how important is the H&A effect? Will a stone that scores well on HCA automatically imply that it will exhibit the H&A effect? Can I tell from the certificate alone, wether or not a diamond will exhibit the H&A effect? (from reading about on the internet, my guess is no).

Any advice you can provide on this matter is greatly appreciated - thanks.

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Hi bravado and welcome to the forum!

I am surprised that you could find nothing in the forum relating to H and A - it comes up all the time. Click here to read more about the importance and effect of Hearts and Arrows:

https://www.pricescope.com/hearts_indx.asp

You wrote: "Some of the people I have been speaking to are telling me not to get caught up too much with the whole "I want a diamond with H&A"." They are probably saying this because they are either ignorant or they don't have one to sell you. I am sure that all the Pricescopers who have purchase a hearts and arrows diamond will attest to the fact that there is a difference - the internal super symmetry results in maximum light return and brilliance.

Hope this helps.

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

robbe

Shiny_Rock
hi bravado, q&a below.

"If I am after a diamond that will score highly on HCA, then how important is the H&A effect? "

visually, if you take 2 ideal cuts, one h&a and one not h&a, you will not be able to see a difference in light return with unaided eyes. however, if you want an ideal, you may as well choose for a h&a; you'll then know you have the highest category of ideal.(you'll always pay/receive a premium when ideal-h&a compared to ideal-not h&a)

"Will a stone that scores well on HCA automatically imply that it will exhibit the H&A effect? "

no

"Can I tell from the certificate alone, wether or not a diamond will exhibit the H&A effect "

only those certs who have a field where it confirms the stone was tested for h&a.

(gia does not test for h&a, igi & ags does, also japanese labs do)

good luck, robbe

Arlington

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 9/30/2003 7:00:25 PM bravado wrote:

So my question to you experts out there is this: If I am after a diamond that will score highly on HCA, then how important is the H&A effect? Will a stone that scores well on HCA automatically imply that it will exhibit the H&A effect?

----------------

Let me preface my message with a disclaimer: I have not only recently purchased a H&A diamond, but I recently purchased it from LesleyH.

That aside, I believe the answer to your question is that the H&A effect has NO influence on the HCA score. The HCA score is a function of table, depth, crown and pavilion angles while the H&A effect is due to the precise symmetry of a diamond's cut. A diamond with poor symmetry could still score high on the HCA.

Experts - PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG.

For me, after looking at many diamonds I felt it was worth the small premium for an incredibly symmetrical diamond cut. But that was just me. I bought an A CUT ABOVE and can tell you it's incredible.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Dittos to Arlington and Lesley.

I too bought my ACA from White Flash. After looking, looking, looking, I came to the same conclusion as Arlington. Internal optical symmetry impacts light return (sparkle and fire) and light leakage. In side by side comparisons of a "true" H&A and a well cut diamond, the difference was more than obvious. The H&A will give you flash in the lowest light levels (candlelight) and blaze in bright light. The performance of the "true" H&A was well worth the small price premium.

Just my $0.02 worth!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results