shape
carat
color
clarity

Heart shape diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

daibay

Rough_Rock
I am new to this forum and is amazed by the resources available and valuable opinions given by all of you. I love diamonds and used to spend hours and hours in a jewellery store. However, my knowledge is only limited to the 4Cs and basicaly know nothing about dimensions, ratio and different type of certification...etc.

I have two pieces of jewellery (a 0.5 ct. diamond ring and a diamond necklance) that I no longer wear anymore. I have recently visited the jeweller again and they found a heart shape diamond (1.22 ct., SI2 H colour, very good cut) for $ 8,000 (CAD). By searching through the internet, I know this is very expensive. However, this jeweller offers a full trade up for the two pieces I bought from them (I''ve paid about $ 4,000 for the previous items, excluding taxes, I still get about $ 3,700 of credit that I can use towards this purchase). In addition, I''m not sure if I am comfortable with purchasing diamond on-line, without actully seeing the diamond. Any suggestion or feedback is greatly appreciated.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2009 10:03:26 PM
Author:daibay
I am new to this forum and is amazed by the resources available and valuable opinions given by all of you. I love diamonds and used to spend hours and hours in a jewellery store. However, my knowledge is only limited to the 4Cs and basicaly know nothing about dimensions, ratio and different type of certification...etc.

I have two pieces of jewellery (a 0.5 ct. diamond ring and a diamond necklance) that I no longer wear anymore. I have recently visited the jeweller again and they found a heart shape diamond (1.22 ct., SI2 H colour, very good cut) for $ 8,000 (CAD). By searching through the internet, I know this is very expensive. However, this jeweller offers a full trade up for the two pieces I bought from them (I've paid about $ 4,000 for the previous items, excluding taxes, I still get about $ 3,700 of credit that I can use towards this purchase). In addition, I'm not sure if I am comfortable with purchasing diamond on-line, without actully seeing the diamond. Any suggestion or feedback is greatly appreciated.
Welcome!

Firstly what type of grading report does this diamond have, GIA? It is important to know this as the type of report can greatly affect the price.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ditto Lorelei- we''ll need to know who graded the diamond to make more specific comments....
But in general: It sounds like you have a full service seller. To me this justifies a higher price.
Both the trade up policy, as well as your personal relationship with the actual store are worth a lot.

If you did decide to work with an online vendor, there are those that will give you a lot of visual info- good photos, and even movies to make it possible for you to have an idea what they are offering.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Basically you are saying that it will cost you $4300 plus the loss of two pieces of diamond jewelry in order to purchase this 1.22 ct. SI2, H color diamond heart.

I''d suggest a Pricescope search using the toolbar above. I found over a dozen heart shape diamonds from D to H, VS1 to SI2, 1.20 to 1.38 ct. from between $1682 and $4797 and you would keep your existing jewelry.

Just something to think about
2.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 5:01:29 PM
Author: purrfectpear
Basically you are saying that it will cost you $4300 plus the loss of two pieces of diamond jewelry in order to purchase this 1.22 ct. SI2, H color diamond heart.

I''d suggest a Pricescope search using the toolbar above. I found over a dozen heart shape diamonds from D to H, VS1 to SI2, 1.20 to 1.38 ct. from between $1682 and $4797 and you would keep your existing jewelry.

2.gif
Ditto

I appreciate that you''ll get the service of a jeweller you trust etc etc but that''s not worth paying double/treble what it would cost to buy the same (if not better) elsewhere.

I would definitely do a Pricescope search or contact a few of the vendors that are frequently mentioned to see if they can help. Good luck in your search.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/10/2009 5:01:29 PM
Author: purrfectpear
I found over a dozen heart shape diamonds from D to H, VS1 to SI2, 1.20 to 1.38 ct. from between $1682 and $4797 and you would keep your existing jewelry.

2.gif
Do we really think we''re able to buy a diamond with these specs for $1682?

As an online seller, of course I would say the advantages of buying online are pervasive- but I still feel that a jewelry store offers attributes that are worth something.
You guys may be right that the difference here is too large though... but the $1682 price shows the confusion that''s sometimes created shopping off a list.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Well David, apparently someone loved it because it sold in the last two hours.

Next less expensive now starts at $3301. I know I would have a couple of likely candidates called in for a look see before I''d hand over $4k worth of jewelry and put another $4300 down.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Purrfect- Do you believe it was an error, or there was actually a stone with these specs for that price?

from D to H, VS1 to SI2, 1.20 to 1.38 ct. from between $1682

daibay

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your comment. I think one of my concerns is that unlike round shape, you have to see the actual heart shape diamond to see if it is cut to proportion and that it does look like ''a heart'', I''ve seen heart that has uneven sides...so can''t really tell what the actual shape looks like by just reading the spec. or carat weight (well, at least with my limited knowledge).

The jeweller is going to set the stone on a ring for me...should be ready in 2 - 3 weeks and I have 30 days to get a full refund should it not meet my satisfaction.

by the way, the prices quoted on the pricescope tool bar are all in US dollars right? As David suggested, I trust that there must some on-line vendors that can offer a lot of pictures, even video of the diamond, but another issue would be shipping and extra taxes if the piece is imported from outside Canada.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 8:45:31 PM
Author: Rockdiamond
Purrfect- Do you believe it was an error, or there was actually a stone with these specs for that price?

from D to H, VS1 to SI2, 1.20 to 1.38 ct. from between $1682
No idea really. You wouldn''t know unless you phoned. EGL Israel, maybe?

There''s a marquise H, SI2, GIA, 1.21 ct. right now for $2744. EGL might be low $2K.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results