shape
carat
color
clarity

Heart ruby on ebay

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
Hello there sparkle enthusiasts, I have recently bid on a heart ruby on ebay and won the auction.

Some stats about the stone:

Weight: 1.07 carats
Clarity: VVS (supposedly)
Treatment: none
Origin: Tanzania
Color: dark purplish red (I'd say)

Price: 727.00 USD

I know the colour isn't top notch and reportedly there is a tiny chip on the stone but I have seen similar stones (colour and size wise) at around 2 - 3k online

So I'm wondering, good deal or should I pass? Any possible resale value in the future? Thanks and have a great weekend

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure the report is legit, I would try to scan the QR code.

It's going to br extremely dark in real life, probably almost black.

Doubtful there's resale value because it's just so dark

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
Not sure the report is legit, I would try to scan the QR code.

It's going to br extremely dark in real life, probably almost black.

Doubtful there's resale value because it's just so dark

I asked for some pics in indoor light to make up my mind

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just be aware the vendor may be manipulating the pics. Or it might be heavily treated.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bet it’s more purple than purplish red.
And more dilute.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
On one hand, it’s going to be tough to beat that price.

On the other, the colour isn’t the most desirable one. Definitely too dark, and I also don’t see any fluorescence which is otherwise highly prized in ruby (and with good reason).

The lab report checks out. Frankly I’m not too worried about it, Thailand has a well developed gem trade and with that comes a significant number of local labs. Yeah they aren’t all GIA and other similar well known names, but the vast majority should be fully able to recognise an untreated ruby.

Resale value is difficult to gauge. How many people do you imagine would like to buy that ruby? That’s what determines whether you’ll be able to sell it at all.

Frankly, just because a stone is a ruby and isn’t treated alone puts a high enough price tag on the gem, even if it’s the ugliest one in existence. But it’s it really worth it to spend the money on something your eyes won’t enjoy?

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
On one hand, it’s going to be tough to beat that price.

On the other, the colour isn’t the most desirable one. Definitely too dark, and I also don’t see any fluorescence which is otherwise highly prized in ruby (and with good reason).

The lab report checks out. Frankly I’m not too worried about it, Thailand has a well developed gem trade and with that comes a significant number of local labs. Yeah they aren’t all GIA and other similar well known names, but the vast majority should be fully able to recognise an untreated ruby.

Resale value is difficult to gauge. How many people do you imagine would like to buy that ruby? That’s what determines whether you’ll be able to sell it at all.

Frankly, just because a stone is a ruby and isn’t treated alone puts a high enough price tag on the gem, even if it’s the ugliest one in existence. But it’s it really worth it to spend the money on something your eyes won’t enjoy?

The lab is a basic one sure and if the stone was a better colour or bigger I'd have asked for another, better certificate but right now I don't think it is necessary. As I said I have seen similar stones for low 4 digit prices that become mid to high 4 digits if the ruby is Burmese which this isn't. I'm not sure if this type of stone "moves" well at all though

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure if this type of stone "moves" well at all though

"Moves" meaning sells? Or "moves" meaning has lots of presence/briliiance/visual appeal as you wave your hand about?

I would not buy it with resale in mind; I would only buy it if I planned to own it forever and wear it happily. Would you buy used tires on NextDoor hoping you can flip 'em in a year or two? I feel it's like that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results