shape
carat
color
clarity

Heart madness!

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
Hello all. I am thoroughly confused about how to set my FY heart shaped diamond. It measures about 5.68 x 6.19 x3.32 mm.

I have a few ideas I'd love to run by you guys :))

Idea 1) A simple heart bezel in 18 k yellow gold like the one DanielM made for pandakeeper -->

Idea 2) Having Janish Jewels make a ring similar to mariedtiger's beautiful spinel ring. If I go this route, I think I would like to put two small pink spinels on the side rather than diamonds as I love the rich cerise and gold color!

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ring-from-janish-jewels.159499/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ring-from-janish-jewels.159499/[/URL]

Idea 3) Having Van Craeynest make me a ring in style 811, 456, 488 or 483 from their collection :)

http://www.vancraeynest.com/chased.html

As you can see, I am thoroughly confused! The only thing I am sure of is that I do not want my diamond prong-set. I think hearts look much nicer when they are bezeled! This is also why I do not wish to send my diamond to Sally (Heart of Water) because although I LOVE her work, I am too scared to mail a diamond to Thailand.

I have heard back from both JanishJewels and DanielM so I know I can afford them. I have not heard back from Van Craeynest so I am not sure about their price.

Please advice :cheeky: Also, please be honest. :) P.S. Do bezels add approx 1 mm to the size of the stone?

Many thanks in advance :appl:

UPDATE: I just spoke with Larry from Van Craeynest and although his price is higher than the others, it is within my budget.

il_570xN_223408096.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I worked only with Jill Anish and can wholeheartedly recommend her. She will spend a lot of time with you, working at the design, she is very attentive to your ideas and wishes, but when she works, she works fast. The quality of her work is excellent. You will be happy with the result.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I really like the simple Daniel M bezel. That one gets my vote.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
The VC is different from the other 2 styles. Can you give us more info., for example what your general style is, and if you want to wear this with other pieces?

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for chiming in, crasru and stargurl78.

pregcurious, I wear all kinds of stuff, from super ornate to minimalistic. At home I literally wear no jewelry except for my simple 22 k yellow gold wedding band which I wear 24/7. When I am going out, I wear any of my nice gemstone/diamond rings as an "engagement ring" on my left hand although I never had an engagement ring to begin with. So whichever setting I put my diamond in, will be worn on an occasional basis for everything from eating out, to the movie theater, to the mall etc. I do not wear jewelry when working around the house/garden, while exercising or swimming :) As a result, I even have some old family heirloom pieces that look good as new :halo:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Expect to pay a lot for anything from Van Craeynest because of their handcrafting and methods used. Do you feel it is worth the price? If so, I think that whatever they make will be astounding. If more on the budget side, then Jill Arnish will do an excellent job.

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Chrono, the price Van C quoted is almost the cost of my diamond itself... so it does feel a bit odd to me to spend that much on the setting. Having said that, I think their stuff is just spectacular. Even so, it is a bit hard to spend so much on having the diamond set with them when the other options are very economical.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they are all affordable, get lots of photos of their bezel work. Bezelling is an art and if done well looks stunning but if done badly will completely spoil the look and the end result can be shocking.

The other consideration is that a bezel may make a stone (a) look darker and (b) can affect performance - because the light is more restricted. So depending on the starting colour of your stone would depend on whether a bezel would give you the effect you're looking for. In terms of making it look bigger? It may not. A halo of diamonds will make it look/feel larger.

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
Good points, LovingDiamonds. My heart is a fancy yellow. Hoping the bezel makes it even yellower :love:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The yellow gold SHOULD make it look yellower but there are no definites!!!

I thought you might like to see this amazing picture of a stone that's been bezelled and halo'ed. This is owned by Treysar (I hope she doesn't mind me posting it) but it's an excellent example of how a ring's size can look far bigger with clever setting. She describes it as a push up bra for a diamond! :lol:

Attachments

• Diamond reset owned by Treysar.bmp
    684.1 KB · Views: 626

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I think if you have your heart set on getting a VC, a FY diamond is a very worthy stone.

kt

Shiny_Rock
Just a question of opinion, but if I have a pink spinel that I want to make look bigger and am thinking of a milgrained bezel/double bezel, would you reco Daniel M or Janish Jewels to do it, given the comments here on bezel capabilities?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results