shape
carat
color
clarity

Heart and arrow image under H&A viewer. Is this a defect?

smilingliez

Rough_Rock
I recently purchased a hear and arrow solitaire ering, which is still under inspection period. I find that when I tilt the H&A viewer a little bit, 5 out of the 8 arrow shafts still show pointy, while 3 of them seems to be "defective", meaning that part of the arrow facet is dark with irregular border with the bright area. Don't know if I made myself understood. I took a picture and circled the area I concerned about. Pls bear with the picture quality. It is kind of hard to capture with the H&A viewer. The dirty area is not inclusion, just some oily stain on the diamond that I didn't clean yet. Pls share your opinions on this. It is a F/VS1/AGS000 diamond. I wonder could this "defect" be due to the setting or diamond itself being damaged during setting?

Thanks!

IMG_1717.JPG

smilingliez

Rough_Rock
Re: Heart and arrow image under H&A viewer. Is this a defect

Anyone please?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

is that shot STRAIGHT ON? It doesn't look totally straight on.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

if you tilt the stone- the arrows are not going to show perfectly. The viewer is for use straight on.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

It also could be an inclusion in the way.

smilingliez

Rough_Rock

ame|1315599131|3013851 said:
is that shot STRAIGHT ON? It doesn't look totally straight on.

It is not straight on. When straight on, I do see 8 arrows without the obvious dark area. I am sure the black area is not due to inclusion, because the inclusion is very small and right at the center of the table.

smilingliez

Rough_Rock

tyty333|1315599198|3013853 said:
Here are some instructions on how to use an H&A viewer. I believe you should only be looking at the stone
head on (not tilted) (like ame said).

http://heartsandarrows.com/using-hearts-arrows-ideal-cut-diamond-viewer.aspx

Thanks for the link! I can understand to view all 8 arrows the diamond must be parallel to the viewer. But when tilted, why some arrow shafts still look pointy and some have horrible dark area as the picture shows?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock

If you tilt the stone, you will not get perfect arrows. Ray path will be entirely different for each of the facets, so it is expected to be non-symm. Not sure what you are looking for.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

It will never be 8 perfect arrows from every angle, viewer or not. The idea is that you see them from a dead-on straight view for symmetrical purposes. When you turn it or tilt it, it's no longer perfectly symmetrical in view therefore the arrows will not be perfect anymore and will be eclipsed as your image above indicates.

smilingliez

Rough_Rock

ame|1315606815|3013963 said:
It will never be 8 perfect arrows from every angle, viewer or not. The idea is that you see them from a dead-on straight view for symmetrical purposes. When you turn it or tilt it, it's no longer perfectly symmetrical in view therefore the arrows will not be perfect anymore and will be eclipsed as your image above indicates.

So you mean if I tilt the viewer away from the dead-on angle, it is normal that one or some of the arrows will not look pointy any more? I thought the 8 arrows will just look asymmetric instead of some showing dark area like the picture. I thought usually the same facet will not have such bright/dark contrast with irregular border line.

Now I feel much better that this is normal. Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Correct. And in daily life, you wouldn't be seeing the perfect arrows without seeing it pretty much straight on too.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

short answer is no.
Tilt the viewer and all different kinds of results are possible and meaningless.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

when you tilt the stone or the viewer the arrows will not longer be perfect and pointy and this is normal. The RB is a 3D shape and when you tilt it the arrows (which are cut inside the stone and not on a flat surface on top) will be angled and cause some parts to darken. totally normal. H&A viewer is only meant to be used head on to the stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results