shape
carat
color
clarity

Healthier Lifestyle Thread 7th Dec till 13th Dec

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy new week all!

First, I would like to welcome Zoe back to the thread, great to see you!

I have recently been working hard trying out weights. I think I have had a bit of a mental block where weights were concerned that I would bulk up hugely, plus handling weights didn''t feel good, I had lots of excuses! However I had committed to trying weights out for 2 weeks along with some cardio and already I can see and feel a positive difference.
23.gif
3.gif
I have kept things very simple, just doing some bench presses, leg extensions and dumbells but I have to admit already I have made some progress. I am so encouraged that I am going to continue with the weights, really I think my mind was sabotaging me that it wouldn''t be fun and what do you know....Using weights really isn''t that bad!!

The point of this is that sometimes our minds can be very powerful with negative influences that stop us from trying things or sticking to a program, sometimes I have to work hard to overcome this but once I do I always find the rewards are well worth it! I can always find a good excuse not to work out or to watch what I eat but I know that in the long term it isn''t helpful and I will regret not making the effort. The hardest part to me is always getting started, once I do then the rest just falls into place.

Have a great week
35.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Lorelei - another great opener.

One of my new years resolutions is to make time for workouts no matter what, and to really make myself stick to a good eating regimen and work harder. I want to really train in the running department, and really work on developing my muscles.

I had a bit of a rough weekend/morning with feeling like nothing was looking good on me. I"m not sure if I''m bloated, or if it is PMS, or if I have gained a couple pounds without knowing it, or if I just have extreme envy of my ridiculously fit girlfriends (they are former cheerleaders, and even at 19-21 they look perfect.... sigh). But I''m making myself work double/triple/quadruple time to really get toned and get my wardrobe to where I am happy with it. I know I have several pairs of jeans that are too big, but I''ve kept wearing them due to lack of funds, but it is better to have a few pairs of jeans I can wash and rotate that FIT than those that don''t and the same goes for shirts, and other things like skirts and slacks. So that is what I''ll be tweaking this week.

I did get in a nice workout this morning. I combined kickboxing cardio moves and jumping jacks with one leg squats, a combined curl and overhead press, side planks, and bicycle crunches, repeating twice with cross punches and side kicks.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh Lorelei, you are so right about your opening! Something similar happened to me and my husband. For him he didn't want to ride his bike to work before he started because he thought that he would have to ride everyday. Then he started out that he would ride once a week so he didn't feel so committed and it worked and he started riding more often. Same goes for me with the gym.

I met my parents for dinner and pulled out a wool mini skirt that I use to wear years ago w/some black tights and I was so happy they fit me. hehe My dad told me he was so happy to see me keep my weight off and that I looked great; awwww dad's are the best!
face23.gif
The holiday goodies are a bit tempting. I have had a few chocolates but am staying around my goal weight (not above) so I need to be aware and making sure I workout. I will be at the gym tonight! I made a three bean and vegetable soup (carrots, onion, celery, tomatoes) for dinner. Have a great week friends!!!
35.gif

DEEGEE, something similar happened to me and still happens. I feel bigger than I am. Hubby was sweet around the time I hit goal and took some pictures of me standing (distance pics), etc and that really helped. Maybe your hubby can take pics; I think we have a mental lag of what we look like for some reason. Also I went on vacation and someone took a picture of me in my bathing suit. I was horrified they would even do it; I still am not happy about it but I saw the picture and it wasn't so bad (I still cringed a little bit but not like I imagined). Maybe pull out your old clothes and compare it to your new tiny skirts! hehehe YAY you are tiny!!! wooohooooo, you did it!!!!
36.gif

ZOE, glad you joined our thread! You can do it!

ROD, yay for crab; my favorite!!!

MARCY, eek that is way cold. I had to go meet a client in Spokane, WA in Jan and it was 10 degrees below zero and all I remember was being bundled like I never have been before! I think when you get down to 20 or below it all feels like the same cold, freezing! lol

TLH, yay for your UBER run; I was cheering you on!!!

DRAGONFLY, you are tiny; you will lose in no time w/your uber workouts! Yay for your workout this morning!

LORELEI, woohoo for weights!!! Go Lor go Lor!!!! yay! You look marvelous darling!!!

SHARON, burr, stay warm!!! I missed you!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hehehe! Thanks Skip and DF! I went to have my hair done earlier and in their mirrors I was pleased with how I was looking, their mirrors show off lumps and bumps so I was thrilled to see I actually looked very trim!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey kids!!! Just checking in because it's been WAYYYYYY too long! Have been quasi good with the working out and quasi bad with the eating... but all of my shopping is done, wrapped and ready to ship, so does that count for anything, LOL?!?

Am having my annual holiday party on Friday and I made the mistake of going to Costco over the weekend. Now I have a house full of things I want to eat and I'm working from home today.
39.gif
Someone, please, barracade me from the kitchen!

May be going to Florida for a week over Christmas with the new boyfriend (ACK--I about faint every time I even use the word!!!) so you'd think the prospect of being seen in a bathing suit would be enough incentive to be good, but noooooooo....

Skippy, Lor, Rod and Marcy, I owe you messages and I will try to get them off today. Have been ridiculously busy, but that is not a good enough excuse because we are ALL busy!

Hello to everyone! I miss you!!!!
35.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Yay, I''ve kept down everything I''ve eaten today! I was able to clean g''mas for a few hours and put up some Christmas decorations too. I''m going to try to do a full yoga today, although I will avoid any inverted positions.

Have a great afternoon, all!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
de-lurking to say
35.gif
to dee jay. will you email me too when you get a chance?

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
SS - Glad to hear you are holding things down!!!! I always hate when I''m sick and my body rejects food... or simply won''t let me take any in the first place.
7.gif
Keep your spirits up, you''ll get back to normal in no time!!!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey.......Man, it was such a long Monday. I didn't leave work till 6:30. I guess the good news is I have a lot going on. Several candidates are in final interview stages. Since we just had sushi this Saturday, we'll go to our Monday night sushi spot this Wednesday. We had baked chicken with steamed veggies for dinner. Since I'll go to the gym tomorrow after work, I'll have leftover chicken when I get home.

What a great opener Lorelei. For us, we went to the gym for almost 2 years before we got the courage to use free weights. We called them "The Big Boy Toys" and we found them completely intimidating. Plus, I figured at my age, I'd look like an old fool trying to lift weights. As you know, once we finally got past our fears, we've been lifting weights pretty hard for the past couple years. It's the best thing we could have done for ourselves. I think the lesson is we shouldn't let any fears stand in the way of trying new things that may lead to a healthier life. BTW, we know several ladies who use free weights. They didn't grow abnormally large muscles, they just look toned and in better shape than ladies who only do cardio. Plus, the really good news about lifting weights is they increase your metabolism more than cardio alone!! I'm glad you've started using them too! GO LORELEI!!!!!

dragon, I'm sure all the extra workouts will do wonders for making you even more fit. Keep up the great work!!

WOO HOO for being able to wear your mini skirt you wore years ago!!!! And I bet you looked HOT! I'm proud of you dear friend!! You'll just have to come visit and have some crabs with us sometime!

I'm glad you stoped in to visit DeeJay. You are missed and I'm glad you're doing well. Seems hard to believe it's already time for your annual party. I'm sure it will be great. Where are you and the New Beau coming in our state. If you're looking for warmer weather in December, you're better off in South Florida, like Miami or the keys...........Anyway, don't be such a stranger for so long........

I'm glad you've kept everything down today SS! Maybe the morning sickness is beginning to wane..........

Wow, two missing friends in one day. Hey there mrssalvo!! How have you been??? You need to pop in more often too!!

We're actually watching a Lady GaGa special on Fuse HD. Our cable company just added hundreds of new HD channels and this one is pretty neat. But, I've fallen in love with Lady GaGA. She's simply fascinating and her music is pretty cool. I'm going to have to add one of her cd's to my iPod. They'd be great songs to do on the elliptical!

I'll check in tomorrow after the gym, but it'll likely be a quick flyby........

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Lorelei! AWESOME for starting to use weights. Sis and I were the same way. Our trainer says lifting weights has a longer calorie burn than just cardio. Cardio burns calories during the activity, but once you stop, you stop burning calories. Lifting weights you end up burning more calories because of the longer burn because your body has to rebuild the muscles to adapt to the added use. Does that make sense? I can ask him to explain it better tomorrow if you''d like. But anyway, I wanted to say GOOOO Ms. L for the weight lifting!!!!

Dragon, Sorry you had a rough day. I totally 100% know that feeling. Are you crafty with sewing? Maybe you can alter your jeans yourself and save some coin. At least they would fit you. Just a thought.

Skip, yay dads! Very nice of him to say that. It was a slow start for me on the getting healthy stuff but now it feels great! :) I just wish I didn''t wait so long to get off my stinking butt. And running was a slow and steady progress...

Zoe, Welcome back lady!!! We missed you.

Deegee, OMG I know what you mean, I still look at myself and hate how I look. But I know I''m getting healthier and getting more tone. But you have an awesome story and you should 100% feel totally awesome about your accomplishment.

Marcy, stay warm there!!!

TLH, how was your vegas run???

Sharon, glad to see you''re getting your workouts in, even though they''re due to the cold weather. Do be careful when you''re shoveling.

Dee! Hellooo lady!!! I was going to pass along your hello, but seems you beat me here :) Good luck on your holiday party! Let me know if you need help with anything :) I''m a pretty good cook
5.gif
Have fun in FL. Yay warm weather!

SS, Yay! I''m happy you feel better today. I''m sending you happy feeling better vibes so it''ll continue for the rest of your week. Yay yoga! I haven''t gone in a few weeks, I''m kinda missing it. Do a warrior 2 for me :)

Rod, I''m glad you''ve got candidates in their final stages. Hopefully you''ll get a bunch that works out. Mmm... sushi on Weds. That sounds fantastic. :)

Today was an okay day. I dropped the car off for some car stuff. The driver mirror got bumped off Friday night, and my brake rotors needed to be replaced. Then my mechanic called up and was like "There''s tons of noises coming from your front end! Didn''t you notice it?"
6.gif
I answered, "Yes, I noticed it but i didn''t know if it was a noise that I had to worry about." For me, if there''s not lights on and the car still runs, it''s all good.
20.gif
Luckily my mechanic is a very good guy, and I''d say I don''t feel that he''s those sleazy mechanic types. It''ll be a little pricey to fix, but he said it''s pretty much needed or the car will be unable to be steered...

Sis and I worked out for a short bit today. Just didn''t feel like it. Tomorrow is our session with the trainer. Dinner tonight was some broiled chicken wings, peas, and some tom kar soup. Skip, I have a feeling pho will be coming up for me soon. Sis and I were talking about doing a holiday party hot pot (shabu-shabu) in the next few weeks. have you ever tried that?

~Lisa

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow - I didn’t realize so many of you still had issues with that darn mirror. I have to say, and this is selfish of me, that it does make me feel better that I’m not alone. My hubby says I don’t see the new me because I don’t want to. After I let him have it for that one, he talked to his co-worker who lost 80+ lbs and she pretty told him that she feels the same way about herself, so it's not just me!

tlh - you really gave me a lot to think about! You totally feel my pain!! I have a sister who is 5’7 and weighs 109. The world comes to an end if she gets up to 110 and she stops eating, which is so great for her 2 daughters to see. I think you’re right that the negative self image begins in childhood, and stays there forever! Which is one reason I get so mad at my sister when she calls her daughter chubby. She’s teaching her girls that the only thing that matters is weight, and the way to stay thin is to not eat. (and I overheard a relative calling me chubby when I was a kid, and I’ve never been able to forget it...like my uncle saying he didn’t like my hair because it was curly. He’s a turd.) My other sister is 5’9 and weighs 130 at her heaviest. She has rheumatoid arthritis and discovered long ago that her life is easier and she can move better when she keeps her weight low and exercises all the time. It seems like my mom has always been on a diet of some kind or other, and my poor dad has gone along without complaining with whatever mom’s diet of the moment is. I get a little confidence built up, and then I go home for Sunday dinner and it all starts over again! My 17 yr old niece has been my cheerleader during my weight loss journey, bless her heart! That’s so awesome that you found running. And I bet you were the best looking, most fit bridesmaid there! I need to adopt your attitude!!!

marcy - gosh, you look so awesome in your pictures! I had no idea you struggled too. In the past, if I walked by a group of people and heard someone laugh, my first thought was always that they were laughing at me. Last weekend when we were in Charlotte walking to the concert, we walked by a group of people who started laughing, and my first thought was that they were laughing at me. I’m so used to being the overweight chick that I just can’t get it through my head that I’m a normal sized person now. Glad you didn’t need to change your eye prescription! Poor Marty trying to get used to bifocals. I’m sure that’s coming up for me soon! My eye doctor tried to sneak in the old lady eye test last year, but I figured out what he was doing. Ah! I’ve worn glasses since 4th grade and contacts since 8th grade, but I’m not going to be happy when I need bifocals!!!

CJ - your post made me think a lot too. I joined ww not to lose weight for looks, but because my blood pressure was embarrassingly high, my broken foot wasn’t healing properly, and last winter was my most painful winter ever with my lousy back. I knew something had to give, and it was up to me to do what was necessary to feel better. I have to remember that, and not compare myself to anyone else. My granny is healthy at 98 years old, so what matters is a lifestyle of healthy choices and activity. I’m sorry to hear about your knee. Hubby had that surgery about a month after we started dating. I remember the rehab!

skippy - I can’t believe you feel bigger than you are with those size small sweaters! You look so awesome! For the first time in years, I posed for a picture this weekend...although not in a bathing suit. And I still tried to hide behind Matt as much as possible, but maybe I’ll get there someday. Dads are the best! My dad still calls me kid, and it makes me smile every time!

Rod - You look so great! I can’t believe you have issues with the mirror too. Sorry your day was so long, but good for being busy, as long as you’re not too busy! I really wish my doctor would release me to do more exercise than walking, but he says my spine is made of paper mache. I know walking helps my back, but I’m not building strength.

Hi Lisa! You look so amazing, especially in your wedding photos. You definitely shouldn't hate the way you look!! I hate spending money on car repairs. He-he, the last time I needed my mirror repaired, I'm the one who knocked it off! Actually, I've done that 3 times. You might say that I'm not good at backing out of the garage!

Hi Lorelei, Dragonfly, Zoe, DeeJay, Shiny, & Sharon!

We bought our Christmas tree Friday at the farmer's market, and on the way home hubby told me that he thought he broke some ribs playing basketball. I think he's right, but he wouldn't go to the dr. He's out of town until Wednesday so I have to worry about him from afar! I slipped on the ice last night and fell flat on my rump, and ended up staying home all day with my feet propped up. I did go to the chiropractor, who who told me that my shoulder and hip were both a bit out of socket, and my low back is swollen. Yay...nothing's broken! I just need to take it easy and I'll be fine in a few days. I spent all evening making a bow for the ginormous wreath I hang on the ginormous window in my entry way. The ribbon wasn't cooperating, and I remade that dang bow about 10 times. Poor Lily - this is her first Christmas and all this stuff is confusing her. I didn't feel like making dinner, so I'm going to be starving in the morning! Have a great day tomorrow everyone!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone! I was at school late then had about 15 papers to grade online. I will catch up with all of you tomorrow!
35.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
We got a few inches of snow so we went out to play today. I overdid it a bit and had a relapse of the MS. I swear it''s like I''m a little kid when it comes to snow. I just don''t know when to go inside!!

Still fitting in my smaller jeans and I will continue to wear that size until the baby forces me out of them. I figure it''s a good litmus test anyway, just to keep a hold on the weight gain.

Yoga didn''t happen yesterday but will today!! I have no excuses when I''m snowed in! lliang-I''ll do some warrior for you.

I just read today that during pregnancy you shouldn''t go above a 6 level of exertion (on a 1-10 scale) while exercising. I''m not even sure how to figure that out. With Jillian Michaels, I''m at a 10, with just cardio I''m at a 2-3. I haven''t found anything in the middle.

Sorry for not responding individually, but in general: to all of those who''ve lost weight and have achieved a healthier lifestyle, YOU are my heroes. I can''t believe some of you still look in the mirror and see anything less than amazing. You made your bodies strong and healthy again! You should all be so proud!

Have a great day!

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi everybody!

Shiny - glad you got to get out and play in the snow. Don''t overdo it! We had snow on Saturday, which was my doggie Lily''s first snow. Her reaction was too funny.

It''s pouring rain outside, and we have puddles of water standing in the yard. It''s in the 30''s, and I hope it doesn''t get too much colder or the drive to work tomorrow will be pretty slick. Matt should be home late tomorrow night, but I''m creeped out tonight because my front door was unlocked when I got home. Either I forgot to lock it (which I doubt) or the kid who takes Lily for a walk while I''m at work forgot to lock it when she brought her home (which has happened before). I''ve been through the whole house twice looking under beds and in closets. I hate being here by myself! Have a great day tomorrow everyone.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi everyone from the frigid Rocky Mountain winter wonderland.Wind chill right now is -22; tomorrow wind chill could be -35.Woo hoo!At least it’s pretty out there with all the snow and ice.

I made homemade tacos for supper so we’ll have taco salad for lunch tomorrow.I think I’ll zap mine in the microwave so my lunch is warm.

Lorelei, great opener and it’s so true that sometimes starting is the worst part.Once we give something a try we find it isn’t so bad after all.

Dragonfly, I am sure you look are great and fit as your friends.You work very hard at being fit.

Skippy, I bet your looked awesome in your skirt.How nice of your dad to be so supportive.

DeeJay, I am envious you have your shopping done.I am working on mine a little each day.I love online shopping.

Somethingshiny, how wonderful you were able to keep everything down today.Enjoy the Christmas decorations.

Hi MrsSalvo.

Rod, good news that you have several candidates in final interviews.

Lisa, sorry to hear about a pricey car repair bill but it sounds like your car is in good hands.

Deegee, I think those of us with weight issues all suffer the same self doubt and slanted view of what we look like.How sweet of your niece to be your cheerleader.My mom always struggled with her weight, I have a sister who is obese and a sister that was always thin.My grandmas both struggled with their weight; one was very obese and used to tell me all the time (being the fattest kid) you are going to grow up and be fat like me.She was right but I finally decided to change.Funny you should mention how when you walk by someone and you hear laughing you think they were talking about you.That is so ME.Even as a teacher whenever students are talking and laughing when I am lecturing that is what I think.I am better now that I am not obese but I know exactly what you mean.I started wearing glasses in 2nd grade and contacts in high school.I just recently quit wearing my contacts I guess I am tired of messing with them.I am so sorry to hear you fell and got hurt and Matt is hurt too.I hope you both get better soon.

I am off to pace the house.It will warm me up and I can call my mom.She is pretty blue right now.She has bell’s palsey on the right side of her face.Her lip is dropping and she cannot close her eyelid.Her eye is hurting, getting dried out and tired.She was going to call the doctor again today.I thought maybe an eye patch will help.I worry about her.

Take care.
Marcy

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey.........This''ll have to be pretty quick. It''s almost 11. Long and frusrating day at work. I so could have bagged the gym, but decided I needed to workout and I''m glad I did. I had pretty strong workout and I pushed pretty hard. Nothing can make a tough day better than a hard workout. Dinner was leftover baked chicken. I may be weird, but I like cold chicken. On the image topic this week, I asked a couple of guys I know at the gym who have killer bodies (I mean they could be in a fitness magazine) what they saw when they looked in the mirror and each one started pointing all their flaws. Not one of them is happy with what they see. In a way it was depressing. I mean if these guys can''t be happy with just about flawless everything, what hope is there for someone like me...........Sigh.......we are our harshest critics. We''re going for sushi tomorrow night. I know.......On Wednesday no less.........LOL

I''m sorry for not saying hey to everyone personally. I''m beat and need to get to bed..........

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Rocked out with the personal trainer again. We did a really good workout , even though it took us quite a while to get to the gym. We finally got snow in Chicago, and lemme just say, I''m not having ANY OF IT!
38.gif

Deegee, it''s not selfish of you to say feel better. I guess we''re all in our heads so much sometimes it helps to hear it from a 3rd party. Yay! Christmas tree! Ouch on your fall, but glad nothing''s broken. Poor hubby. Why are men so stubborn and don''t go to the doctor! Sigh!!! Hope he''s OK. Hope the drive tomorrow is OK. It''s a mix of snow, sleet, rain & probably freezing rain in Chicago. Eeeew! I''m glad Matt will be home tomorrow.

Marcy, catch you tomorrow. Stay warm and try not to work too hard. Kinda hard saying that to you, but I figured a little reminder to have fun and take it easy might do some good. I hope your mom is OK. Hugs and dust going out to her. Remind her to talk to her doc about her balance.

SS, YAY Warrior!!! Hooray for the skinny jeans. Hm, maybe some light weights will bump you up to a 6 level. Nothing like the JM 30-day shred level, but maybe a little bit of weight lifting. Just so it''s still fun.

Rod, glad you had a good workout. I agree with you, we are our own worse critics.

Also for those of you who are interested my photographer blogged our wedding photos & day after shoot.

Wedding photos

Trash the Dress

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lisa, sorry to hear the snow found you. I hope the cold doesn''t find you too. Your pictures are AWESOME. Trash the dress - LOL!!! Lovely tanzanite too.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Lorelei - I agree, weights aren''t that bad... but I too have that problem... in that I just PREFER cardio... but I have to tell myself in order to do my best I have to do the weight and strength stuff too!

Lisa- sorry about the snow! We got a bit of snow out in AZ and the highways had to be shut down. Made the drive back from Vegas a bit more trafficed than usual. No I wasn''t REALLY affected thank goodness!

DF- you made me laugh with that comment. "even at 19-21 they still look perfect." Yeah, I imagine most 19-21 yr old versions of ourselves look a lot better in hindsight. Which is just a shame that most cannot appreciate what we have until time has passed. Since funds are tight, maybe you can put clothes on your holiday list?

Skippy- Dad''s ARE The best! So glad you could pull out the old skirt. I know I''ve got a couple pieces laying around that I WISH would fit. HA! (I even have a pair of OLD track shorts from high school... which aren''t too awesome... don''t know WHY in the world I keep those! haha!)

Deejay- Have fun in fl w/ the bew beau!

Shiny- soo happy you''re keeping food down! Enjoy the yoga for your lil'' nut!

Rod- Hubs and I ate sushi while in vegas. This place was called Mizoula? in the Monte Carlo. It was quite good for not being anywhere near water. haha! It really hit the spot post race - and I soo enjoyed it. (We ate it on MONDAY... so of course I thought of you!)

deegee- HUGS. I do understand it. It is hard, but a lot of it is in our heads. I''m glad you''ve got a cheerleader in your niece, but it has to come from within. Start small. Pick ONE thing you like about yourself every day one thing on the inside, and one thing on the outside. Then give yourself a compliment. I''m serious. For example, I really like that I gave my friend my ear for an hour. I know that by doing that I really helped her out... and it makes me feel good to be a kind and considerate listener. Then something on the outside... and yes, sometimes I''ve had to compliment only my neck or wrists... and then I''ll put something pretty on.. like a bracelet or a necklace to emphasize my pretty part. I''m happy that your husband is alright! and then you fall... even bone bruises on the tailbone- as it is such a sensitive area! I''m glad you are alright!

Marcy- I hope your mom is alright. What frigid temperateratures to deal with! Sorry you deal w/ self image issues too... but you are smokin hot! Even in the cold! So work it this season lady!!!

If I missed anyone, I''m sorry, but I hope you have an excellent week!!!

Hi and happy weds! Vegas was AWESOME! My BFF missed qualifying for Boston by 65 seconds. I wanted to take pictures of her - but my hubby was running late getting me my clothes. I was really worried I wouldnt see her finish - since my coral wasn''t released 45 minutes after the start! (It takes a long time to work your way through the photo booths, medal stands, and post race area.. so I rushed through it and went to the finish line.) So I waited after I finished in the cold in shorts a an underarmour shirt in 31* temperatures at the finish line to see my best friend. Shivering and waiting for my best friend to finish. I turned grey and blue... and was a little popcycle! Because it is a coral start, and she was in the 4th coral, I wasn''t sure of her times. (I''m old school, and don''t have an i-phone w/ internet.. I just use my phone for talking) So I didn''t know how she was doing. I saw her at my mile 6, and her mile 9 - and she was looking good. We talked about her strategy...and she was looking strong. I cheered for her while I was running - and it made me excited to see her at the turnaround. So I waited, and complete strangers were offering me their clothes. Which just shows the testimant of the kindness of strangers. I didn''t take them, because I thought my husband would be back soon... but it took him an HOUR. People were telling me to go inside, but I wanted to cheer on my friend. When I saw the race groups go by, the area I was in was getting increasingly congested with specators, and they started to block my view... and one guy yelled at them for me... told them the frozen girl deserves front row view! ha! So there I was all purple and cold - and I finally see her... and I see HEARTBREAK. She looked at her watch and knew she wasn''t going to make it. I know that look... and at mile 26.1 there is NOTHING she can do. So I screamed my little heart out. She heard me, and saw my little cold self - and apparantly, that pepped her up. She started smiling. (I didn''t see it.) But she crossed the finish line w/ a huge smile. She may have missed Boston this race, but there are other races. LOTS of them. But it isn''t too often that your Best Friend will stand in freezing temperatures, to cheer for you - even when you didn''t make it. So she finishes, and her brother sees her with this huge grin on her face. (In the meantime, my husband heard me screaming, so he found me and gave me some pants, and a sweatshirt.) So me and her family gather to meet her at the exit of the post race area... and the first thing her brother says as she comes out is... okay, you know you didn''t qualify... right? Apparantly he mistook her huge grin as thinking she qualled. I knew she knew she didn''t make it - because I saw the disappointment. But her family was at the actual finish line... and they just saw her smiles. It was cool. She really turned the frown around, and was happy the rest of the trip. We all had a great time, and me and my hubs had a pretty good training run. In fact, I would saw Vegas was one of the most fun half marathons I''ve ever been a part of.
At mile 3 you could renew your vows. We just so happened to be in the coral w/ the running Elvi! The marriage group - and some other spectacles. IT was sooo awesome to be w/ the Elvis''! They were singing, and were all dressed up! Every inch of the race had something fun to see, and be apart of. Even the tvs on all the hotels were tuned in to the race, so you could see the winners - no matter where you were on the course... or any other sport event. It was AWESOME! Would definately recommend this one- if you only ever do one - or are looking for a fun race to add. It was cold, but it was amazing. Also, it is pretty FLAT. So unlike some other courses that are well liked and well ranked, this is pretty good if you aren''t used to crazy hills.
Anywho, I''m glad to be back. I''m taking some time off from running this week to recover. The cold wasn''t kind to my muscles, as they never really "warmed up" and I ended up pulling a hammy when my husband and I got seperated along the course and I tried running with my body at a turn trying find him for 2 miles. (Yeah it was sold out 27,500 runners, even though not everyone finished what they started - which happens.) I was a bit freaked since we didn''t really have an action plan for that. As we''ve run in crowds before... but the strip was a lot more compact! Anywho, was an awesome time!!!! Thanks for reading!

Christmas, children, is not a date. It is a state of mind. ~Mary Ellen Chase

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
howdy all
I did Billy Banks yesterday, how sad is that, but I love doing it!!! I love the kickboxing moves hehe. SO made chicken for me last night, since I finished my final and am trying for some relax time. I finally get to catch up on running and reading! HOORAY!

lliang - sorry you hate the snow so much haha

TLH - SO GLAD you had fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SS - glad you are having fun with the snow lol

DeeGee - Sorry for the buckets of rain

Marcy - I hope your mom gets better
8.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Another quickie, sorry!!

lliang~ good idea to add some weights into the cardio.

deegee~ sorry I was laughing at your post about checking the house twice. When that happens to me I go through the whole house looking behind furniture and shower curtains, in the basement and closets and then check the attic door.
20.gif
I don''t usually consider myself a frightened person, but when my door isn''t how I think I left it, I go all nutsy!

I got back on Spark today. The baby version just doesn''t make me happy and I don''t keep up with it. So, I''ll keep track of things on Spark because I know I will stay on track that way.

that''s all for now. Have a great day!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey......It was another really long day at work. The good thing was I spent a great deal of time setting up interviews! I finally met Charlie for sushi at 6:30 and it was really good as usual. We''re home on the sofa with Sakai glued to our shoulders, watching some drivel on TV and I''m working as usual. Tomorrow will be a gym night again, then I won''t go again until Sunday, when Charlie has the day off.

Lisa........I absolutely, totally, LOVE LOVE the Trash the Dress Pictures!! They are the most imaginative wedding pictures I''ve seen and they''re really well done. Charlie looked at every single one too. Just looking at the pictures, it''s easy to see how in love you two are and I''m predicting you''ll have a wonderful life together!! Thanks for letting us see them! Yay for rocking out with the trainer!!

Hey Marcy........Sorry it''s so cold out there. I''m sure there''s truth to global warming, but I''m betting you can''t quite see it right now!!

tlh, I''ve stayed at the Monte Carlo several times, but that was long before Rebuild Rod and before I found sushi. I used to have to go out there on business once a year with my last company. I''m glad the race was good and how cool that you cheered your friend on. Sorry she missed qualifying by just seconds........

Nothing sad about doing Billy Banks if it get''s you moving and you enjoy it dragon.........

Hey SS., I hope you''re feeling better.

Hi Skippy, deegee and anyone I''ve not said hi to personally.........

OK.....back to work for me. It''s almost 10 and I have about an hour''s worth of things to do to be ready for tomorrow. Have a nice night everyone.......

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi everyone.The wind chill was -23 when we left for work.Marty’s pickup is diesel so we plug it in; the breaker had blown though and his truck was not going to start.He tried to call me to come back and pick him up but my phone was on the bed under blankets and pj’s.Rats.Once I realized my phone was missing I came home and was kind of shocked to see the truck here.I came in looking for Marty and he wasn’t hear but did find my phone after calling it.I saw I’d missed a few calls from Marty so I figured his truck wouldn’t start.I dropped him off after work before going to school.

I popped a Lean Cuisine in the microwave for supper and headed off to class.Tonight was my last night on campus and I got quite a few nice compliments from some of my students.

I stopped by to see my parents on the way home.My poor mom is very depressed about her bell’s palsey and her eye looks awful.It looks like someone punched her.She is slurring words and has problems even eating.My dad told me she isn’t doing very well.He cracked a few ribs the other day so he’s not doing so well himself.

Deegee, I would check the house a few times myself.I am a big scaredy cat when Marty is gone.

Lisa, you were a very lovely bride.I enjoyed looking at your photos.

Tlh, awe thanks for the nice compliment.I am generally fine; all I have to do is look at an old picture and I realize I don’t have anything to be unhappy about.What a wonderful friend you are – and you being there made the difference to you friend.She was so close she should be very proud and what a champ you are out there freezing but determined to cheer her on.Sounds like you all had a great time.

Dragonfly, glad you enjoy the BB program.

Somethingshiny, good plan to keep track of things on Sparkpeople.

Rod, I am starting to think we are just cursed to have uber long days at work.At least they go by really FAST for me since I am so busy.I hope Charlie enjoys his day off tomorrow.

I am off to work on laundry.

Marcy

tlh

Ideal_Rock
DF- billy blanks, is that Tae Bo? I''m glad you liked it!

shiny - I''m glad you are sticking w/ what you know and like. I think the trick is to track what you eat and no matter where you do it- it is a good thing to focus on your nutrition... esp now when you''ve got a lil nut depending on you!
1.gif

Rod- enjoy the gym, and I hope Charlie has a great day off!

Marcy- oooo that is cold to be stuck w/ a truck that won''t start! I''m sorry your mom is down, and your dad''s ribs! I''ll say a prayer for them tonight. Enjoy your winter break!!! I did have a niec time in Vegas - it was certainly a great way to see the strip- that is for sure!

Everyone happy thursday! This morning was super cold (in the 20''s) - and since my legs are still a bit *tweaked* from the race - I''m waiting to run after work. My morning so far feels a bit off- but eh, I''d rather run in the 50''s than the 20''s.... at least then my muscles can warm up- and I wont risk an actual injury. This weekend my husband and I are running in a Santa Run 12k (about 7.5 miles) and we''ll be using this as a sort of low mileage recovery weekend. I''m really excited because this is the best time of year to run in AZ. There are so many events and it is really a great community! During the run, you actually dress up as Santa - and run it. (So it is a goofy run). The proceeds from it also benefits the local animal shelter... so it is a pet friendly run... and they get little reindeer hats to wear too! HA! So it will just be a blast - very low key - and nice easy paced fun run. I normally don''t like or encourage back to back races - but this was one I couldn''t pass up - and since it is a slow paced recovery run - it will be nothing but a good time!

Kate McCallister: How could we do this? We forgot him.
Peter McCallister: We didn''t forget him. We just miscounted.
Kate McCallister: What kind of a mother am I?
Frank McCallister: If it makes you feel any better, I forgot my reading glasses.
Home Alone

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
lliang~ I didn''t realize you had TWO links! I LOVE the TTD shoot! Those are some of the best wedding photos I''ve seen!! You look super-hot when you''re tossing your hair back in the water!

Marcy~ Sorry about Marty''s truck! YAY for compliments at school!

Rod~ Have a good gym night!

tlh~ lol about the "low mileage"!! I would need a car to go 7.5 miles! Hope you have a great time at your Santa run! lol Home Alone. I love that movie!

Woke up this morning at it was 1* with a wind chill of 20 below. Of course I had an early appt today and had to leave when it was still 1*. There''s just something that seems so cold when you say "one." But, back home in the warm now. JT wants to play outside so badly but I just can''t let him. DH went to work yesterday and got sent home within 45 minutes due to road conditions, we still don''t know if he''ll go to work today yet. Yummy sweaty yoga for me! I can''t believe I''m looking forward to sweating...

That''s all for now, have a great day!

OH! My sis got engaged! YAY!

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Liang - your pics are AMAZING! I couldn''t get all of them to load, so I''m going to have to try again, but WOW. You made a beautiful bride, your wedding looked FABULOUS!!!! You will have one beautiful album to treasure!!

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi everybody!

Lisa - I loved your wedding photos. Everything looked so beautiful, and of course you looked awesome! The TTD photos were too cute. Hubby was peeking over my shoulder while I was looking at them, and he thought it was a photo shoot for a magazine. I told him it was for real, and then he was entirely confused by the whole concept of trashing the dress. Yay for a great workout! Driving through the snow to work out is true dedication!!

tlh - you are an awesome friend, cheering out in the cold like that! I'm sure it meant so much to your friend, and how great that her family was there for her too. Glad you had a great time...sounds like there was a lot going on! You amaze me with your endless energy!!!

dragonfly - Woo-hoo for time to relax! Enjoy it!

rod - Yay for being busy, and I hope all that work pays off and all of your candidates get and accept offers! It seems like things are starting to pick up a little bit. Matt is a chemical engineer at an engineering contracting firm, and thankfully they are finally starting to get new projects. His boss has been finding him piddly stuff to do since September, and now he has actual work. He's so excited!

marcy - you're freezing me! I'd have to wear 2 or 3 layers of clothes if I lived where you are! Too bad about Marty's truck. I put my phone and glasses on the bed yesterday right beside my sweater so I wouldn't forget them. Of course, I put on my sweater and left the phone and glasses on the bed. I also forgot to pack my breakfast and lunch, so my carried in an empty tote bag to work. I didn't sleep much the night before, so I was pretty out of it - obviously! I'm so sorry about your mom and your dad. Hugs and prayers for them, and for you too.

shiny - Yay for your sis! And you're freezing me too! So far our coldest temp has been 18. Matt and I took Lily for a walk that night and froze our tooshies off!

I'm at home on the couch today with my feet propped up, and I'm bored out of my skull. I need to do laundry, put the Christmas decorations up, clean, and lots of other stuff but I can't. I have to sit with my feet propped up! I partially dislocated my hip in my fall on Sunday. It's been put back in place, but I can't believe how bad it still hurts. I went to work Tues and Wed and was miserable, so I decided to take the dr's advice and stay off of my leg as much as possible. I'm giving myself until Friday night, and then I have to get back in gear. Too much to do! And I haven't exercised whatsoever since Saturday, and I'm feeling like a big lazy bum. I asked the dr how soon I could get out and walk, and he told me that he didn't want me walking while we still had the high wind advisory, that I had lost so much weight he was afraid I'd blow over! I love that man. Have a good Friday everyone!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Shiny- congrats to your sister! exciting news... 1* BRRRR stay warm, and keep the little one bundled up!

Danielle -
35.gif

Lisa- I agree, your pics ROCK. Total Chris issaac going on w the beach shots!

deegee- take care of your hip! That sounds super painful. I guess lovemaking is out of the question for awhile huh? I''ll be praying for a swift recovery so that you can get back out to walking around! ***healing dust***

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey.......It''s nearly 11 and I''m just now reading today''s posts. It was a long day for sure. I didn''t make it to the gym till about 6:15 and I got home at 9:30. I really pushed myself hard tonight. I did this because I''m not working out again till Sunday (I know just two days from tomorrow) as I wanted to tax my muscles as much as I could. I had a great run on the elliptical too. It was a salad day for me. I had lunch with a client and I had a salad for lunch, and I had one for dinner. So, I''m a bit salad''d out! We''re not sure what we''re doing tomorow night for dinner. Since we just had sushi last night, I''m not sure I''m ready for it tomorrow night.

Hello to you all and I hope everyone had a great day. And for those of you where the wind chill''s in the negative numbers (major brrrrrr), I hope you bundled up and stayed warm.

See you tomorrow night..........

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Hi HLTers!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! for the comments on my pictures. It was a lot of fun and I''m so happy with them. We so far only have those for previews, the proofs aren''t ready yet. But we couldn''t be happier.

Marcy, OMG! it was so cold it couldn''t snow today! I don''t know how you do the crazy insane cold AND the snow!!!! Marcy I''m sorry about your mom. Warm thoughts and prayers to her.

TLH, I''m just the opposite I way prefer weights to cardio. My trainer said we can "cheat" and do really intense interval work outs and then decrease the amount of time to cardio. So we do that. Aw, sorry your friend missed the Boston quals, but Yay you got to see her finish!!! That''s so fantastic and I''m glad you guys were there for each other. Your race sounded AWESOME! Totally fun and totally up your alley it seems! I''m so glad you all had such a good time. I''m going to look into that race. By brother loves going to Vegas and it might be a fun goal for sis and I. I''m glad you and your hubby have some nice runs to do in your area. Have fun on your Santa run. I have to check out that Chris Issac wicked game video now...

Dragon, Hooray for being done with finals

SS, I''m glad you''re still tracking. How''s the nausea? I''m glad Matt''s back. How''s JT? James liked the hair tossing picture too. I felt like a fool doing it because I was sure I wasn''t doing it right...

Hi Rod, thanks for the well wishes for James and me. I hope work''s getting a little better for you.

Danielle, thanks! I''ll hope to post more pictures soon.

Deegee, I totally didn''t drive in the snow. I never do, I''m such a snow wimp! I took a cab to my workout. How lame is that? But it was REALLY bad out. Sorry about your fall! Do take the time to rest and recover. It''s the most important part of staying healthy. Maybe you can do some bi''s and tri''s on the couch with some dumbells? just a thought.

last night we had a community service gym night with 80 under privileged kids. We played games, dodge ball, tug of war, and some other goofy games. But I sprained/tweaked both my knees. Now I"m realizing what all those falls on my ski trips do... I''m going to talk to my doc about check my knees out before my next trip. Sad, I *love* skiing... So I''m took a night off of working out tonight, THursday. Sis, her boyfriend, James and I went to the near by culinary school Kendall College for they''re final project buffet. It was TAAAASTTYYYYYYY
18.gif
. Tomorrow will be an interval workout and some weights to make up for the super rich yumminess. I love going to this school because it''s so wonderfully good, the students are all very eager and engaged, and it''s soooo inexpensive!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results