shape
carat
color
clarity

Healthier Lifestyle Thread 29th Dec till 4th Jan

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL!
emotion-19.gif

I hope everyone had a wonderful and memorable Holiday season. Now is the time when our thoughts turn to New Year's resolutions and such like. However you don't need a new year to make a positive change, although it is as good a time as any! Losing extra pounds and getting fitter and healthier takes a real commitment as with anything else. I play the piano as some of you know. If I don't practise, my music gets weak and so does my ability to play. However when I do practise and put some effort into it - sure I make mistakes - but I treat them as part of the learning process, I have never yet learned to play a musical piece without hitting many wrong notes, that is how I learn and improve, and eventually succeed. I also value my small successes, learning a sequence of tricky chords for example, which eventually flow together to become part of the whole music.

And so it is with the healthier lifestyle. If it were that easy then no one would be feeling too heavy, unfit or bad about themselves. A healthier lifestyle is not about perfection as so many of us regulars have learned through experience - but about patience, persistance and continued effort as we say here. I hit wrong notes when on the piano and with my eating etc at times, but I treat them as part of the process and keep working towards my goals.

Working out is important for those of us who choose to do so, the rewards are immeasurable not only for how we look, but for our health in so many ways both physically and mentally. However this doesn't mean you need to spend every spare hour in the gym, work out a plan which suits you which you can live with, if you put too much pressure on initially such as vowing to spend all of your evenings in the gym, chances are you won't stick with it and could even injure yourself! To begin with, cardio is great for fat burning so maybe something like 20 mins 3 times a week on a treadmill or elliptical is a good place to start, then increase from there.

So for those of you who might be reading and feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment with all the food and temptation which abounds this time of year, you can do this! The trick is to try to make changes and a plan that you can live with, yes you can lose weight rapidly on fad diets, but you will not be doing the best you can for your body, and it is quite likely that you will regain the weight as quickly as you lost it in the first place.

Set small easily achievable goals to motivate and encourage you and take the first steps and above all remember - if you slip so what!! Just pick yourself up, forgive yourself and start again - it isn't the fact that you ate too much of the wrong thing that will stop you from achieving success, that only happens if you don't bother to get back on track, once you can embrace this then things click into place and it becomes so much easier!

Have a great week
35.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning my HLT friends.
35.gif
Today begins a new week and this week begins a new year. What fun and adventures will the new year bring? No one knows for sure. What I do know is I am beginning the year 2009 healthier than I''ve been in decades and I look forward to maintaining and improving my newfound but well deserved health.

Thank you Lorelei for a great opener. Health, like anything; has to be earned by working at it and finding what works for you. This time of the year is hard with tempting treats everywhere but as you said if you slip - so what! Just pick yourself up and start again.

Have a great day!
Marcy

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
35.gif

oops.gif
The holidays attacked me....
zanyLOLguys.gif
1074606bxn0ln4w82.gif

emotion-18.gif
1237389l5e9y2e4mo.gif

Can I sneak back into this thread?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL Gecko! No problem.
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/29/2008 9:14:01 AM
Author: geckodani
35.gif

oops.gif
The holidays attacked me....
zanyLOLguys.gif
1074606bxn0ln4w82.gif

emotion-18.gif
1237389l5e9y2e4mo.gif

Can I sneak back into this thread?
ROFL!!!!

''Course you can Gecko dear!
35.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
9.gif
19.gif
9.gif
19.gif

You all rock. I logged in to Weight Watchers... and logged the 7lb gain... and tracked. *sigh*

9.gif
19.gif
9.gif
19.gif

And that emotie nomming the bunny is almost exactly what I did, LOL. Only replace bunny with assorted holiday craziness.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/29/2008 9:50:09 AM
Author: geckodani
9.gif
19.gif
9.gif
19.gif

You all rock. I logged in to Weight Watchers... and logged the 7lb gain... and tracked. *sigh*

9.gif
19.gif
9.gif
19.gif

And that emotie nomming the bunny is almost exactly what I did, LOL. Only replace bunny with assorted holiday craziness.
Don''t feel bad - we have ALL done our share of bunny nomming!
9.gif

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Right there with you Gecko...trying to control myself with the leftovers now! I am too broke and lazy not to eat them
20.gif
so I am trying to be careful!

I hope everyone is planning a fun and safe New Years Eve...I think I may eat some sushi and then go out with my BFF. Unfortunately I am sure a lot of bloating alcohol will be involved, but I have been drinking a lot less lately so maybe it will all even out.

Marcy, I meant to tell you I love your Christmas picture collage. Your husband is very handsome! You guys sound like a great couple, and a lot of fun!

I think my small and manageable goal will be to work my way back in to working out more. I love to run or walk outside, but I am bad about being active in the cold. SO my goal for this week will be to get the Wii Fit out TWICE and use it for 30 minutes. Then I will try to work up to getting on it 3-4x/week.

OH!! And my super amazing boyfriend gave me a gift certificate to a massage place that also happens to be where I used to take yoga classes. I think that instead of a massage I will use it to get a package of 10 lessons. I still have 2 or 3 left on my last pack, so my other goal is to get back there! I really miss yoga.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Miscka - I hear you on the leftovers! So hard not to eat the free food!

Let''s see... my small goal.. to track, even if I go over points. Just write it down Dani!!!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Hey, guys. It has been a long week and a half. Adam and I went for our ultrasound and found there was no heartbeat for our sweet baby. I am rejoining this thread to try to get healthier before we start trying again in a few months. I had already gained 10 lbs from the pregnancy, so I am going to try to take those off and just get back into my routine. I ran/walked 3 miles yesterday and that felt really good to get back into the swing of things. Adam and I are looking at joining a gym near our house that has childcare so I can workout more days a week. Hope everyone had a great holiday.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2008 10:38:23 AM
Author: steph72276
Hey, guys. It has been a long week and a half. Adam and I went for our ultrasound and found there was no heartbeat for our sweet baby. I am rejoining this thread to try to get healthier before we start trying again in a few months. I had already gained 10 lbs from the pregnancy, so I am going to try to take those off and just get back into my routine. I ran/walked 3 miles yesterday and that felt really good to get back into the swing of things. Adam and I are looking at joining a gym near our house that has childcare so I can workout more days a week. Hope everyone had a great holiday.
Oh Steph. I am so sorry to hear that.
39.gif
7.gif
((HUGS))

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Steph,

I''m so sorry to hear about your loss. This happened to a friend of mine recently. She''s like you it would have been her second baby, but she''s just glad that she already has one. Good Luck to you and I know that another little miracle will happen again soon. *hugs*

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Steph, I am so sorry to hear this....

Hugs to you.
emrose.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Steph, huge hugs to you dear friend.
emhug.gif
glad you are back with us; I missed you. I am so sorry.
emrose.gif

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
Steph, I''m SO sorry to hear about your loss. *HUGS*

Hi everyone,

I wanted to drop in after being MIA since I left for Hawaii before Thanksgiving. Like Dani, I need to sneak back into the group. I''ve been off grid because I felt guilty, as I could only do so much complaining without really trying. My body seems to love being around the high 130''s, as it''s the weight it always go back to whenever I''m not sticking to a healthy lifestyle. Foodwise, my holidays weren''t horrible but weren''t great. I need to get back on track and, as Marcy said, pick myself up and start again.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hiya Panda!

No need to sneak, great to see you dear, we missed you!
35.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Oh goodness; hugs your way......

kind regards--Sharon

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Everyone!

My husband and I went to the gym and did errands, and we just got back home. I only lasted 15 minutes on the treadmill before giving into the pain in my foot. It''s still frustrating, but I suppose I could look at it a different way -- it was 15 more minutes than I did yesterday when I was being lazy.
1.gif
I also did a few sets of arms. I miss my trainer! It''s just not the same without him.
39.gif

We stil have lots of leftover turkey that my mom had given us after Christmas dinner. I think I''m going to make lunch pretty soon -- a turkey sandwich, reduced fat wheat thins, red pepper hummus, and iced tea. I think we''ll be eating turkey for a week, so I need to find other healthy things to do with it besides using it for sandwiches or soup.

Lorelei -- thanks for the wonderful opener!

Hi Marcy and Gecko!

Miscka -- that''s great that you can use the gift certificate for yoga classes! Yay!

Hi Steph -- I''m so sorry for your loss.

Hi Skippy and Panda! Panda -- I feel the same way. Although I didn''t eat horribly, I definitely could have done better. The closer it got to Christmas, the harder it became to stay away from cookies, brownies, etc. I just try to think of it as one meal at a time. If I don''t make the best choice at one point in the day, I make sure to choose something healthier the next time I eat.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Hello!

Great opener as usual, Lorelei.

I picked up a little cold from DH last week, and you'd think that it would curb my appetite, but nope. I've fallen off the wagon BIG TIME. We had a ton of sweets around the house, and I indulged! Although most of the cookies were from CL, the calories still add up. My meals haven't been the best, either. Tons of meats, starches and wine- OY!

Because of my cold and just being busy from the Holiday, I haven't been to the gym since Xmas eve. I hope to get my butt there tomorrow and Wednesday mornings before i head into the office (yep, i'm working this week
7.gif
)

Time to pick myself up and get back on track.

Steph- I'm sorry to hear your news. Please take care of yourself!

Lorelei- My small goals for this week are to eat more veggies, limit my booze to NYE only, and to work out a total of 4 times
Marcy- Your collage from last week was incredible! You've come a LONG way
gekodani & panda- great to see you here!
Miscka- Great present from your BF. Enjoy the yoga!
Zoe- i know what you mean about missing your trainer. I kinda feel lost when i'm not going to bootcamp!

Hiya, Skip, Apple & Sharon!

ETA: Zoe, I just got the CL Dinner Tonite recipe email: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=237722

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Monday all! Did a gentle hour on the dreadmill and two sets of arms this morning. The TV wasn't working for some reason so when I left I gave my ipod to one of the girls to use while she worked out. As I was putting on my coat she screamed out, "Air Supply! You have Air Supply on here!!! Ha ha ha ha ha!" Everyone in the gym looked at me like I was a *special case*, LOL. OK, look, you borrow my technology you listen to my music!
3.gif

Have been an EATING MACHINE today. No idea why... And I might go out to dinner with one of my clients too. Oh well, tomorrow I"ll do a hard hour of penance.

Lor, thanks, as always, for the great opener. You're so good at putting things in perspective!

Marcy, I forgot to say in last week's thread that those two pictures you posted show an AMAZING transformation. Good for you!!!

Dani, love the post! Welcome back!

Miscka, the gift certificate from your boyfriend is such a great gesture. Enjoy it, no matter what you choose to use it for!

Steph, so very sorry to hear your news.

Apple, hello there!

Skippy, the dough never rose last night (the HH thinks the yeast was old) so no pizza for us. But we did go to a friends house and have homemade Chinese. Yum!

Panda, welcome back!

Sharon, how are you faring with the winter weather?

Zoe, I love left over turkey! If you find yourself getting tired of it just send a little my way!

Charger, sorry to hear you have a cold. Hope you feel better soon!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Hey, guys....thanks for all the love and support...you guys are great! Going on a run tonight when Adam gets home from work. Andrew picked out a new pink ipod for me for my Christmas gift, so it is all loaded with music and ready for my run. It really does help me drop the weight fast...now if I could only stop all my sugar consumption...

appletini

Ideal_Rock
The beauty of being at work when no one else, you can go down to the gym in the middle of the day and no one will miss you. Co-worker and I went down at 2 for a workout and the new trainer was in there and very bored so he offered to show us some things...so he gave us an hour session. It wasn''t quite as high intensity as we preferred but we did learn some new moves for abs and strength training that we can use in the future.

Tomorrow my plan is to go to yoga during lunch and then afterwork or afteryoga spend some time on the elliptical or walking on the treadmill.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Friends!!! Glad to see everyone!! The holidays are tough for sure!!! I am going for a walk after I type this. I met a friend who lives in Colorado for lunch today; it was nice catching up with her. I love friends like that because it feels like time has not passed when we see each other. hehe Hubby now has what I had; poor guy and my dad too!!! I guess it goes around; I feel for them.

It is about 50 degrees here but sunny
emhot.gif
Oh good news is that I lost the lb I gained over the holiday and a friend gave me a compliment and said I was looking good which was sweet and motivated me to keep up the workouts! hehe
41.gif

LOR, yay for a very motivating opening!

ROD, ahh, that is kind of you and Charlie taking care of your parents; I bet they really appreciate it. You and Charlie are 2 good souls!!!

MARCY, hi friend!!! Love the pic of you and Marty!

GECKO, great to see you! No worries you will be back on track. Have you seen the new Momentum; I think it is pretty cool about combining core/points. I am really liking it.

MISCKA, yum to sushi!!! I think we will stay in; we were invited to a party but I don't think we need to spread our germs. hehe We got a WII fit too; I haven't tried it yet. Hubby did the yoga.

STEPH, awesome to the 3 mile run!!!! Yay for the new pretty ipod! Well, not sure if you are interested but I would be willing to cut sugar out with you if you are up for it? I need a sugar buster buddy. hehe

APPLE, yay for your workout!!! Yay for having a workout buddy!

PANDA, how was Hawaii? I bet it was wonderful; I have been thinking about you, hugs! Glad to see you back!

ZOE, oh no, what happened to the foot, be careful. How about turkey soup too?

CHARGER, hugs, hope you feel better.

DEEJAY, yay for your awesome workouts woman! I love 80's music! That was nice to let her borrow your ipod!!! Speaking of yeast I meant to buy some because mine expires this month too! Yum to Chinese!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2008 4:57:29 PM
Author: Skippy123
Hi Friends!!! Glad to see everyone!! The holidays are tough for sure!!! I am going for a walk after I type this. I met a friend who lives in Colorado for lunch today; it was nice catching up with her. I love friends like that because it feels like time has not passed when we see each other. hehe Hubby now has what I had; poor guy and my dad too!!! I guess it goes around; I feel for them.

It is about 50 degrees here but sunny
emhot.gif
Oh good news is that I lost the lb I gained over the holiday and a friend gave me a compliment and said I was looking good which was sweet and motivated me to keep up the workouts! hehe
41.gif

LOR, yay for a very motivating opening!

ROD, ahh, that is kind of you and Charlie taking care of your parents; I bet they really appreciate it. You and Charlie are 2 good souls!!!

MARCY, hi friend!!! Love the pic of you and Marty!

GECKO, great to see you! No worries you will be back on track. Have you seen the new Momentum; I think it is pretty cool about combining core/points. I am really liking it.

MISCKA, yum to sushi!!! I think we will stay in; we were invited to a party but I don''t think we need to spread our germs. hehe We got a WII fit too; I haven''t tried it yet. Hubby did the yoga.

STEPH, awesome to the 3 mile run!!!! Yay for the new pretty ipod! Well, not sure if you are interested but I would be willing to cut sugar out with you if you are up for it? I need a sugar buster buddy. hehe

APPLE, yay for your workout!!! Yay for having a workout buddy!

PANDA, how was Hawaii? I bet it was wonderful; I have been thinking about you, hugs! Glad to see you back!

ZOE, oh no, what happened to the foot, be careful. How about turkey soup too?

CHARGER, hugs, hope you feel better.

DEEJAY, yay for your awesome workouts woman! I love 80''s music! That was nice to let her borrow your ipod!!! Speaking of yeast I meant to buy some because mine expires this month too! Yum to Chinese!

Skippy....YES, I would love to join you for cutting out the sugar. It makes it easier if I someone to be accountable to! When were you going to start?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2008 5:17:07 PM

Skippy....YES, I would love to join you for cutting out the sugar. It makes it easier if I someone to be accountable to! When were you going to start?
What do you think to New Years day and then it is on?! hehe I need a buddy too! That would be awesome and anyone else too if they want.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
That sounds good. I only have 1 more piece of fudge in the house and then most of the chocolate is out. Andrew still has some from his stocking, but I won''t be tempted to eat his. Santa left me gum instead of chocolate this year because I told him I was going on a diet!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hello everyone! I missed you all and hope everyone had a great holiday. I know I really over did it and found I could NOT stop eating.
20.gif
Stress eating perhaps?!? Haha. I was surprised to weigh myself and see I only gained one lb. Unless the others are slow to show up I am happy with that. I really felt like I gained 10. I got a new pair of tennis shoes!
36.gif
They are really cute and hopefully MUCH more comfortable than my blister inducing old pair. B/c of DH''s work I doubt I will get to the gym much but I am going to make an effort to take walks with T and/or use my videos and the dreaded treadmill. I really don''t want to spend another summer embarrassed and angry with how I look in a swimsuit. THAT is my goal. I figure 6 months (give or take) is plenty of time to lose my last 5-10 lbs and tone. I want to feel confident again! That feels better than even chocolate cake
2.gif

Lor, thanks for a great opener as always!

marcy, you should be so proud of yourself! I know I am proud of you!!!

gecko, I was total reckless too! No worries. What goes on CAN come up...slowly but it will.

Miscka, we just got the wii fit. Which exercise do you like? I have never tried yoga but people seem to LOVE it!

steph, know you are in my thoughts. I am sure you will lose that weight in no time! here''s hoping 2009 is YOUR year!

panda, don''t you hate when your body seems to be happy at a size you aren''t?
38.gif
Totally know what you mean.

Zoe, I agree! 15 mins is better than no mins! Keep it up! I have never had a trainer but would love one.

CG, you''ll get back on track! You are a tough girl for sure!

Dee*Jay, funny about the girl at the gym. Have a great dinner!

Skippy, you ARE looking good lady! Sorry you were sick. I know what that is like...blah!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Tacori. I''m right there with you in wanting to feel good for swimsuit season (which is almost year round here!) We can do it!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2008 6:08:23 PM
Thanks Tacori. I''m right there with you in wanting to feel good for swimsuit season (which is almost year round here!) We can do it!

I agree! I cannot imagine ever being back in a bikini (plus it might be asking for trouble with a toddler who pulls on everything (strings ARE a favorite) but I want to look good in a cute one piece at least! We CAN do it!!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Back from a 40 min walk; it is 45 degrees and cold to me. hehe
3.gif
I guess it is much colder elsewheres. Off to make spinach lasagna for dinner.
1.gif

TACORI, yay great to see you back and wooo for only gaining 1 lb; that is awesome!
9.gif
36.gif
I bet you did a lot of walking! Yay you only have a little bit too lose and I hear you on the toning! That is my new years resolution is more toning; I am so lazy about it! Thanks for the kudos dear friend; I missed you lots!!!

STEPH, awesome, okay that is the plan! Glad to have you as my partner! hehee Wooo to no sugar!!! I notice the more sugar I eat the more I crave so I am more than happy to join in!!!

Anyone else want to join the no sugar is welcome to join us just say the word and I will check with everyone to make sure they had no sugar. hehe

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results