shape
carat
color
clarity

Healthier Lifestyle Thread 23rd June till 29th June

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/24/2008 8:48:33 AM
Author: marcyc
It''s a glorious morning in Marcyland! I have now lost 158 pounds. Yippee!
36.gif
Poor Marty is going to stay home sick today.
14.gif
I am sooooo taking some airbourne this morning. I don''t want to get sick.

Kathy, yay for loosing 1.5 pounds. Good luck in your 10K. I will be cheering you on from afar. We are going on vacation and I sure plan on trying to make wise food choices when we eat out.

Lorelei, you are right making those wise choices does get easier with practice.

Have a great day!
Marcy
WOO HOO Marcy!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
You must be so close to your goal now!!!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Lorelei. 1.9 more pounds to go.
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/24/2008 9:11:42 AM
9.gif
WOW!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rod, a big congrats on your new job! I know you''re not terribly excited, but at least it''s work, and you can always keep looking. The fact that you ARE working might help land another, better position. I shall keep my fingers crossed for you and Charlie both!

Kate, congrats on your weight loss!! Size 4??? 4 is an age, not a dress size.
11.gif
25.gif
9.gif

Marcy, you have just got to be beaming with pride at your accomplishment, I know I would be. Well done.
36.gif

Great opener as usual Miss Lorelei. Should I ever actually get back to exercising, I will be sure to keep all that in mind!
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/24/2008 9:21:20 AM
Author: Ellen
Rod, a big congrats on your new job! I know you''re not terribly excited, but at least it''s work, and you can always keep looking. The fact that you ARE working might help land another, better position. I shall keep my fingers crossed for you and Charlie both!

Kate, congrats on your weight loss!! Size 4??? 4 is an age, not a dress size.
11.gif
25.gif
9.gif

Marcy, you have just got to be beaming with pride at your accomplishment, I know I would be. Well done.
36.gif

Great opener as usual Miss Lorelei. Should I ever actually get back to exercising, I will be sure to keep all that in mind!
9.gif
curtsey.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Happy Tuesday Healthy Lifestylers!

It''s finals week in the diamonds course, so I''m a bit stressed. I''m glad I got my treadmill! It''s really been helping with that. (Did a 1/2 hour last night) This Friday we have our 5 stone final. They give us 5 diamonds to grade. We grade everything with our eyes-No sarin machines for angles/measurements. Everything must be calculated. That''s the easy part--the plotting is another story! (maddening really) It''s a tricky business, this plotting. Next Monday we have our written final, and then off to colored gems for the next 4 months.

Skippy-I''m so glad your mother is home! I''m so happy to hear that she is doing better!
1.gif
Oh, and those sweet potato fries are from TJs! They''re yummy!

Congratulations Rod!
36.gif

WoW Marcyc!! You are amazing! I''m so happy for you!
36.gif

Lorelei great opener for the week! And such good advice. I had a little mild heat stroke over the weekend. We don''t have air conditioning in our house--(we usually don''t need it, as we are a few blocks from the ocean) I did my treadmill on one of the hottest days. I got really dizzy and nauseous. I didn''t realize how hot it was!

Way to be LP!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Oops, I meant to do this differently. Just a sec . . .

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Morning All!

Kathleen, I''m sure you''ll do great in your marathon. So sorry your friends won''t be joining you.

Marcy, WOOHOOO! That is so awesome.

Linda, I''m really sorry you had to cancel your trip. What a bummer (I''m a bit late, but still sorry).

Babysitting was fun yesterday, and now I''m off to summer school this morning. It should be an interesting few months. I''ll probably come home and exercise this afternoon. Have a great day, everyone.

PGthesecond

Rough_Rock

Hey guys. It''s Phoenixgirl. I wanted to post the following, but also didn''t want it coming up when I go through old posts. That might be irrational, but I''m just going with it.

I''m going through a hard time right now. My dad killed himself a few weeks. It was a complete shock. He had some non-terminal medical problems which were causing him stress, and he had recently been put on antidepressants, which he had just had upped because they didn''t seem to be working. He also took sleeping pills. He didn''t kill himself using pills, but the particular drugs all have warnings about suicidal side effects.

I''m doing everything I know to do -- counseling, being with friends and family, going with sadness if that''s how I feel. It''s tough because I''m off from teaching and really don''t have to get out of bed if I don''t want to. I''m still wearing my pajamas, but I''ll change once I finish this up.

I''ve managed to keep working out and running, but not at my usual intensity or regularity. I was planning to run today, but I really don''t think I''m up for it. Running requires a lot of energy, both mental and physical. I can definitely walk a few miles though, so I''ll do that.

My mother passed along some jewelry from my grandmothers to me last week, so I might post some pics in the show me the ring thread. I think my mom knew diamonds would cheer me up a little, if only on a superficial level. And taking the pictures and posting them is a good way to eat up some time (as opposed to watching soap operas).

My counselor is not the best fit for me, so I''m switching but don''t have an appointment with the new person for two weeks. The first counselor says things like, "Tell me the meaning of being sad" or "Tell me what being vulnerable means to you." I''m always having to translate her statements into what I think she''s really asking. Does she want to know the effects of sadness in my life? How I respond to sadness? What makes me feel vulnerable? And on my first visit she gave me this CD for the computer with music and images. At the second visit, only two weeks after he died, she wanted to know if I had watched it. When I said no, she told me that was ok, she just wanted to "honor" why I hadn''t done it. Um, because my dad just died. I''m still in shock. This CD is obviously for people who are further along in grief than I am. And because I had to go back to work and grade a bunch of stuff that had piled up and then I had to spend father''s day with my siblings because that was a sad day. And when I have had free time, I''ve been reading books on grief, not watching butterflies float across the screen as cheesy music plays. Plus she is always "running late" from her last appointment but then ends my appointments early, so instead of an hour they''re less than 50 minutes. The new person, recommended by a friend, told me that she is always on time, and my friend says she is very down to earth and not "froo froo."

I''ll post as me the rest of the time. For whatever reason, I just didn''t want to see "my dad killed himself" when going through old posts, at least not yet. We''re being honest with how he died except in some cases like my work. I work with over 100 teachers who probably know who I am but don''t really know me, and I just didn''t want to be the subject of gossip. I''ve told my friends but the department thinks he died of his medical problems, which is true in a way. It''s not that I''m ashamed, just that there is a certain stigma and I didn''t want to deal with that when I only had one more week of work.

I''m going to go on that walk now.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Hey PG,

Sorry to hear about your father. I wish I had words of encouragement for you during this tough time, but I think you are on the right track with getting some therapy. Maybe the new therapist will have a cancellation and can see you sooner. Also I agree if you don''t feel like running, walking will at least get you up and out of the house. For me when I go walking its good time for me to think without interruption. Maybe try to create a routine for yourself even though you have a lot of "free time" right now. *hugs* to you and your family.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh PG.....I am so sorry for your loss. We are here for you and I am so glad you felt able to offload some of what you are feeling here. Please, if we can do anything to help, just let us know.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh PG, my heart goes out to you. Please accept my sympathy.
emrose.gif

And you do need someone you feel is a right fit for counceling, I really hope the new person is it.

Take good care of yourself, situations like this are most troubling, I know.

{{{hugs}}}

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Hey all, sorry I haven''t posted in a while. I''ve been going through some really challenging things. I''d rather not discuss them on here, but all said and done, I''m on a job hunt now. I''ve been keeping up with my workouts, but gained a pound overnight last night, I"m assuming of mostly water retention, considering how stressed I am and how my body reacts. This morning I did Core Rhythems dance and some abdominal moves. TOnight I plan to do Billy Banks cardio tae bo, and abdominals again. Tomorrow morning back to jogging, which I did yesterday morning and all week last week. It''s my new love.
Talk to you soon!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys. I''m letting my sun block absorb and then I''m going for that walk. I briefly thought, "Oh, I can run," and then I was hit with a wave of nausea and had to lie down. So I''m just going to walk.

The nausea is weird, but probably just another physical symptom of stress. Or maybe it''s the leftover seafood I had last night. I woke up unable to eat cereal because the thought of milk was ick, so I had an English muffin with peanut butter.

Today I''ll run some errands and maybe post my new diamond stuff. And do laundry. Tomorrow I''m having lunch with a friend and then we might go to the pool. Thursday I have my final appt. with the first counselor (thought about cancelling but I need to return that CD) and then that night DH and I leave for my family beach house. Some friends will join us this weekend and then we''ll be with my family next week. The friends have come every year for 5 or 6 years and are great houseguests and friends so I''m not worried about that being stressful.

OK, I''m off to walk.

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Lots going on this week.

PG, I''m so sorry to hear your news. At times like these, I wish PS were a real-life community and I could come over and give you a hug. I wish I could help somehow. Do let me know if there''s anything I can do over the internet! It sounds like you''ve kept your head on straight through all the pain and that is very admirable.

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/24/2008 9:11:42 AM
9.gif
Marcy, once again...AMAZING. I''m so happy for you.

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Rod, congrats on the job acceptance AND the new opportunity! I hope the new one works out.

Linda I''m sorry that I missed the details on your vacation. Where are the fires?

Kimberly, oy...summer school should be...fun.
20.gif
But the experience should be great though. How are you feeling about teaching these days?

As for me, I''m down to 103 pounds from something like 116 when I started posting regularly. I guess it''s a good thing, but the hardest part for me is maintaining my level of activity and staying toned. I hope I don''t fall off the wagon this time. I''m so much happier with my eating habits. Basically I just load up on green veggies like brocolli, spinach, asparagus, brussels sprouts for dinner. I add a little protein and maybe a little rice or bread. For the mornings I have my coffee and a few bites of cereal, or lowfat yogurt, or fruit. I can''t handle too much food in the AM. My afternoons are also fairly light because when I''m at work, there''s no telling when I can sit down for lunch. So I pack some veggies and chicken, or I''ll go get a salad from the deli.

I think the other thing that has been helping me is getting my FI to see how tasty "healthier" foods can be. I just wish his mom would stop buying us crap!!
11.gif

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
And Miss Skippy, you are so wonderful. Thanks for your kind words in my dress thread. I think you''ve inspired so many people to be nicer, happier, and friendlier. I''ve definitely been inspired to be a better person because of you! And you got me to go for walks, and go to muscle hour. I''m so glad for PS!

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Lorelei, I''m so glad you posted about safety during exercise in hot weather. I never paid attention to the "drink plenty of fluids" rule in hot weather, mostly because I''m a little like a camel in that I rarely get thirsty. I drink water periodically just because I know I should.

But about a month ago, when NYC had its first heat wave, a friend of mine was moving into her new apartment 3 blocks away from me. She didn''t have an air conditioner, and she was moving by herself. Even though she didn''t have any furniture to move, only small boxes and crates I took the morning off from work to help her. We were using dollies (that''s what she called them, the rolling hand trucks that deliverypeople use) to go from her van to the lobby, and then from the lobby up the elevator to her apartment. Midway through the move (about one hour) I started feeling thirsty and tired. I ignored it and kept pushing. Nothing terrible happened to me, but I started getting dizzy and nauseous. That''s when I learned my lesson!

I need to also find myself a good hat to shield myself from the sun. My skin is sensitive to at least one ingredient in most sunscreen formulas, so I prefer wearing long sleeves and wearing a hat. It sucks.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I walked 3.5 miles in a little under an hour.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Evening everyone! We had a really busy day in work so I was running around all day. We''re going to meet some friends who have recently bought a house tonight and have a look around it! Dinner tonight is salmon with home-made potato wedges and a big salad. I love having my own kitchen and being able to cook tasty things.

Skippy-thank you! I didn''t know that your mom was in hospital-glad to hear that she''s ok!

Dee*Jay-definitely a woohoo for the internet! I missed it so much for the few days that we didn''t have it. Well done for going to the gym-I should have probably gone after work today but I was so tired I crashed on the couch instead.

Hi Marcy-I can''t believe that you''re so close to your goal!! You must be so excited!! Sorry to hear that Marty isn''t feeling great. I hope that he feels better soon.

Rod-that''s exciting about another new prospect! Wish Charlie luck for me (round two!!)

Katebar-well done on getting back to a size 4! That''s brilliant!

Hi Kathleen! Well done on more weight loss! Best of luck in the lead up to the 10K! You can do it!

Coati-best of luck in the exam! I''m sure you''ll do great.

Enjoy summer school Kimberley!

PG-I''m so sorry to hear about your loss. You''re in my thoughts.

Crown-well done on the weight loss! That''s great news!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Hey, guys! Quick check in. I am in Atlanta visiting for the week. Sat. I have a wedding to go to. Tonight is the bachelorette party. It is the last of our really close group to get married. We are not doing anything too wild. I think we are going to a nice dinner and then drinks and then going to see SATC. One of the girls is pregnant and the other just had a baby, so we are kind of over the whole partying thing, but it will be fun for sure. Talk to you guys soon when I can respond to everyone individually!

Rod, just had to say a big CONGRATS!!!!!!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This has to be a really quick pop-in before heading out to the gym.

Oh Phoenix, I'm so sorry about the loss of your dad. I know there aren't words enough to offer anything other than your friends here on PS will keep you in our thoughts and hope you get through this most difficult of times. I'm glad you've sought the help of a therapist, even though you're not sure the one you have is the best for you. I'm also glad you're taking the time to continue being healthy and run. Exercise is such a wonderful way to help keep your spirits high. Agan, just know I'm thinking about you and so so sorry for what you're going through. Your friend, Rod.........

You go Marcy! The amazing shrinking woman continues to shrink!! Such an inspiration to us all. I hope Marty feels better quickly. Give him my best, would you?

Thanks so much Ellen. Even though it's not my dream job by a landslide, the people are nice and I'm looking forward to having something real to do everyday besides worry about what I'm going to do. I have learned however, that if I could win the lottery, I wouldn't have any issue with not working. I've kind of enjoyed sleeping in each morning and doing pretty much what I wanted to do every day! LOL

Thanks and good luck with you diamond finals coat!!

I hope your day at summer school was fun Kimberly!

Hey dragon. I'm sorry you're going through a difficult time. Job stress can be awful. Trust me, I've been in lack of job hell for some time. I am a recruiter by trade, so if you need any help, just let me know. Take care.......

Thanks so much CJ. I too hope this works out!!

I'm so glad you're enjoying your new kitchen bee* Dinner sounds terrific. What time should I be there??? LOL

Thanks Steph! I hope you have a great week in Atlanta. Enjoy SATC! I absolutely loved it and I'm sure you will too.

I went and signed my offer letter and filled out all the paperwork this morning. My new boss hugged me when I came in. She's very sweet and certainly has made me feel more than welcome. I noticed no one had a headset in the office and I asked if I could have (recruiting jobs are very phone intensive) and when I asked for one, everyone else in the office immediately asked for one too! They were so happy I made the request and now everyone will have one. At least I made my pressence felt........LOL

Charlie will be (at least as of this moment) doing his orientation at Restoartion tonight. So, we'll see how that goes. At least in my new job, our company will be able to help place him somewhere more permanent.

I'm heading to the gym now. Will check in later.

Again, Phoenix. My heart goes out to you. I hope you can feel the cyber hug I've sent you...........

gee, even when I try to be quick, I can't...........

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I went to the yoga class during lunch today...it felt so good to get a good stretch.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well dinner was delicious! Just heading to our friend''s house now and then going to sleep as I have to be up for work at 5.50am tomorrow
14.gif

Steph-enjoy the bachelorette party tonight! SATC film is brilliant.

Rod-enjoy the gym! Unfortunately D ate everything and Amber polished off whatever leftovers there are-maybe tomorrow
3.gif
That''s so funny that you''ve inspired the headset craze in the new job!!

Talk to you all tomorrow!

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Can I join you all?

A few months ago I got put on a food allergy elimination diet. I didnt find what I was allergic to
26.gif
but I did lose some weight and learn all new eating habits/outlooks. I learned to stop thinking of food as comfort or entertainment, just something I do because I need to. I learned that I can get by on smaller portions, and completely lost my sweet tooth (it was crazy before!!).

Sounds great, right? Well now I want to keep all these things! It is hard. I really want to think the same, like no junk food, etc. while those things are out of my system.

So far I am doing well, but it is an effort. I just got a new puppy so am getting exercise that way, and sometimes I am too busy to give much thought to what I eat. I would really like to lose another 10-15 pounds, the weight I put on while dating my ex. My self-esteem took a hit from the break up, and I think I would feel better being "out there" again if I was more comfortable with my body.

Anyway, I think you guys seem so successful and supportive! I have lurked around here some, and look forward to joining in!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hey CJ and DragonFly, good to see you!

Miscka, of course you can join us, welcome to the thread! I think you will find it helpful, as we are all in it for the long haul, and trying to make healthier food choices and keep active! It can be hard, but if we slip, we just pick ourselves up and keep plodding on, it works!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Oh PG, I''m so sorry for your loss. Hugs to you. I hope you find some peace soon.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the encouragement Rod and Bee!
1.gif

Hi Miscka
35.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Afternoon all. I went to visit my mom for a couple hours at her house; she is doing great thanks for the good thoughts!! Yesterday I went for a 3 mile walk. Today I will go for a shorter walk. Tonight I am making homemade pizza; I have not done that in awhile. I bought homemade mozzerella from Whole Foods (that chesse is so fresh), yum!

Hope everyone is having a fab, Tuesday
35.gif

PG, I am so so sorry for your loss, hugs and prayers outgoing. Good for the workout; take care sweetie!!!
emrose.gif

Rod, glad Charlie got to eat sushi with you!! I don't blame your new boss for hugging you, how cute is that, you are such a doll; plus they have an awesome employee!!!
36.gif

Marcy, yay for the weight loss!!!!

Coati, kudos on school! You rock and you will do awesome on your tests!!!! How fun, colored gems, ooooo aaaahhhh! hehe Sounds like fun!!!

Kimi, glad you had fun babysitting! Have a great workout!!!

Dragonfly, good to see you; you will lose your lb soon!

CJ, you are teny tiny, sweetie!!! You look great, glad you feel great too and eating healthy!!! HUGS, you are always so sooo sweet!! Now I am blushing, you are the doll, seriously, thank you!

Bee, how are you? Have fun tonight w/your friends, how exciting!!! YUM, your dinner sounds good!!!!

Kathleen, good to see you!!! Best wishes on the 10k, awesome, go K, go!!!! Cheering you on here!

Steph, hugs and have a safe trip!!! Have a blast tonight and enjoy SATC!!!! We will miss you!

Miscka, welcome!!! Glad you joined us!!!

Hey Lorelei and Ellen!!
35.gif

Good for you Apple, doing yoga!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results