shape
carat
color
clarity

Healthier Lifestyle Thread 20th April till 26th April

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy new week all!

Its been a hectic morning so I am running a bit late with the thread, but I am getting there now!

I wanted to discuss how we feel in ourselves today as something struck me from another thread, a young lady who was a little concerned about wearing shorts or a swim suit in the warm weather. This struck a chord with me, and I am sure it does with many of us. I am not keen on shorts, rarely warm enough to wear them or any lighter clothing here anyway, but key is wearing something you feel comfortable in. I won't wear sleeveless T shirts or dresses as I don't feel my arms are toned enough - they are ok but not as good as I would wish. But I am my own harshest critic! However if you are in a situation where donning a pair of shorts is going to be necessary - it can be done in a flattering way.

First as one of the other posters Lara suggested - a good exfoliate, defuzz, fake tan and pedi can make all the difference. Also try a subtle shimmer lotion. Don't wear shorts which are too short if you aren't comfortable. Find some pretty flat sandals to go with the shorts and maybe a loose shirt over a lighter T shirt can help you looked finished and keep you comfortable without exposing too much if you don't wish to. Sometimes attention to detail can make all the difference and you might be surprised!

Shorts and swim suits come in all kinds of styles these days. Again with swimsuits try on different styles to see what flatters and FITS. Again exfoliate, defuzz, fake tan and pedi are essential! A pretty sarong can be a big help as can pretty sandals with a heel which can flatter the legs. That way if you are in a swimsuit but want to move around and be more covered, a sarong and some sandals can be a very glamorous look!

So with the nicer weather on the horizon experiment and try some new things and see what works! Have fun with it and pat yourselves on the back for all the hard work you put in and reward yourselves with a new summer look!

Have a great week
35.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Bathing suits are the devil.
11.gif

Great post Lorelei! And good morning!

The good news: Weight Watchers really does work when you put your mind to it.

The bad news: My bridesmaid dress that fit in January is now too small. Guess WW is no longer an option, but has taken on the realm of necessity!!!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Okay. Weekends. I fail on the weekends. During the week I track, I do great - and then Sat hits and it''s like - POOF! All willpower gone. Any suggestions?
40.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Morning!

Lorelei, thanks for the reminder, as I pull out my spring/summer clothes to get ready for work today. I found some great bermuda shorts last summer that are flattering and not too revealing, I love 'em.

Gecko, I would suggest changing up your routine on the weekends. If you are big on going out to dinner, make it a light lunch out instead, and walk to the restaurant if possible. Or if you're a snacker, remove the foods from the house. Find little ways to put off eating (I'm going to read 20 more pages of this book before I go to the fridge, for example). Weekends can be hard, so be active (even if that just means going and sitting in the park with a book instead of on the couch), and distract yourself is what i'd recommend. I'm sorry about the dress, that would be frustrating.

Rod, this is really warm for April. We may have a spell of warm weather, but we're typically pretty gloomy through June.

Skip, the weather shift was HUGE. We're supposed to go back into the 70s later this week.

off to work, more later.

K

ETA: Skip have a wonderful trip!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Morning Lorelei!!! It''s still not warm enough here for warm weather clothes but I''ll keep what you said in mind! Very insightful!!

Gecko, can you plan out your weekend meals ahead of time so you have everything set? Seems like there''d be less temptation to deviate if you already have your meals planned. Just a thought.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey everyone! Sorry I have been MIA but we were traveling and then my mom visited us for a week so I''ve been busy. Also mean I have fallen off the wagon. I do miss working out (gasp...did I really admit that?) and plan to get into my routine again. Also a diet is in order. I have been eating like the world is coming to an end and it shows. Another motivating factor is my mom. For the first time in my life (not including pregnancy) she weighs less than me. I would never tell her this but that kinda motivates me to lose the last of my weight. She looks great though! She is turning 60 this weekend! Hope I look that good at 60. We did a bunch of yard work and pulling weeds is a workout! If anyone has any diet tips I am open to suggestions! I would like to lose 1 lb a week.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Kim and Lliang - good suggestions.
1.gif
I did sort of jump back into WW without a lot of planning, and have fallen short with what I have on hand. I forgot how much forthought it takes!

Kim - I love bermuda shorts!!!
36.gif

ETA: Whatever motivates you is a good thing -including your mom!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great opening Lorelei! It really resonates with me as I''m thinking of honeymoon clothes at the moment and there''s so much I''d like to wear but not sure if I''d have the confidence to do it. I''ve just finished college this evening so am just about to head to the gym to do a work out and salsa step and my eating has been very good today. The sunny weather definitely makes you feel like eating salads.

gecko-I like WW too. It always worked for me but I found that I got a little obsessive with the point counting so I''ve stopped going for the moment. Just doing my own healthy eating thing. For me I tend to eat better on the weekends as I have more time to prepare a nice dinner etc. Can you save some points for the weekend so if you want to splash out a bit you can? Or do a bit of exercise so you have bonus points?

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Happy Monday to all!

I don''t know of many females who like wearing shorts. I have about two pairs of shorts, although I do like bermudas too!

It''s rainy here, and just a gloomy day. I plan to go to the gym for some cardio after work. Thank you all for the support with my 5K! I did well, and it was a beautiful day for it!
1.gif
I don''t know the official results yet as they are not posted, but will let you know when I get them!

dani-trying planning your weekend. Maybe choose one weekend per month where you allow yourself to splurge!

bee-Yay for your productive day! The weather does effect my appetite as well. It''s easier to eat a salad than a big bowl of pasta for sure. I definetly eat lighter during the warm months.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 11:52:29 AM
Author: BeachRunner
Happy Monday to all!

I don''t know of many females who like wearing shorts. I have about two pairs of shorts, although I do like bermudas too!

It''s rainy here, and just a gloomy day. I plan to go to the gym for some cardio after work. Thank you all for the support with my 5K! I did well, and it was a beautiful day for it!
1.gif
I don''t know the official results yet as they are not posted, but will let you know when I get them!

dani-trying planning your weekend. Maybe choose one weekend per month where you allow yourself to splurge!

bee-Yay for your productive day! The weather does effect my appetite as well. It''s easier to eat a salad than a big bowl of pasta for sure. I definetly eat lighter during the warm months.

I lie, they just posted the results on the website:

My time was 24:58.9 and I came in first place in the women 25-29 age group.
Not too shabby!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Congrats beachrunner! What a great achievement!!!

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
What a timely post, Lorelei! As Kimberly mentioned, it''s REALLY hot here in SoCal. I live in the "hot pocket" area of the SFValley, and it hit 94* yesterday! I had to break out the tank tops and cooler bottoms. Before I lost my weight, i''d dread warm weather as it meant that it was harder to hide in my clothes. Now it''s kinda fun to see what fits. Honestly, though I hope we get a break from this heat. It''s just too hot for April.

But it was nice to get up this morning and go through bootcamp with both sunlight and nice weather. You may recall that my last session ended in mid-Feb and i elected not to return last month as i needed a break from working out in chilly temps (and darkness). Well, it was great to be back! My trainer reduced her bootcamp fee, so there were a couple new gals joining the group. I got right back into the swing of things and am looking forward to this session! I''m sure i''ll be sore tomorrow.

Gecko- It''s tricky to stay on track on the weekends. I find that keeping busy and active keeps me out of trouble
Tacori- my motivation when i first started on my weight-loss kick was that i COULD NOT have my husband weigh less than me! it was getting pretty close there for a while. So, go for whatever motivates you
Beachrunner- CONGRATS on the 5K- that''s an awesome time!

Hiya- Kimberly, lliang, bee
36.gif

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I had a great TBT class today!

I''m not a big shorts fan either, but I do love wearing skirts. Old Navy has some great ones.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Hello everybody!

Sorry I''ve been gone. It made the wrist injury worse when I stopped in and saw what I couldn''t do.

NOW, it''s much better although not 100%. I''m still avoiding strenuous wrist movements, but I think I''m ready to do yoga again.

Yay for those of you losing weight, increasing your workouts, staying on the healthy track!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Evening! I''m just back from the gym-so tired! My trainer has started doing spin classes now before the step and she made me do it as well so I can barely walk this evening. Oh well, it will be worth it! Nothing else to report my end-just going to study this evening.

Beach-that''s amazing that you came in 1st place-woohoo!

Charger-I''m so jealous of the weather that you''re getting! I would love to have that kind of weather over here.

Hi appletini and something!

Talk to you all tomorrow!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Great opening Lorelei :)

Congrats Beachrunner!

Well I did get a chance to check out our new yoga/pilates/spinning studio last week before we left town for the weekend and I think I will give it a try tomorrow! They only have classes right now Tues-Sat(a.m.) so the class schedule will be my biggest challenge. I also am beginning my Detox, I thought today-but we had company until now, so will be tomorrow.

Good luck to all and have a great week :)

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Charger, I didn't want to mention it to my mom b/c I don't want to take away from her amazing accomplishment. How funny you mention that b/c it was my DH GOAL to weigh the same as I did when I went into labor
20.gif
Such a jerk! He never lost enough (thankfully) to make that happen. I just wish I wasn't hungry *all* the time.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to check back to say I did some cardio and lifted weights at home. It felt great. My weight is not budging (it could have something to do with the street tacos and pasta I ate this weekend) and I''m a bit bummed, but hopeful that if I just keep at it my body will return to normal both endurance and weight wise. My clothes are not fitting correctly, which is very frustrating. And on we go...

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone! Just stopped by to say hi. I am beat so I am going to bed early.

Dani, LOL at bathing suits being evil.
9.gif

Take care and will check in tomorrow.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 11:50:30 PM
Author: marcyc
Hi everyone! Just stopped by to say hi. I am beat so I am going to bed early.

Dani, LOL at bathing suits being evil.
9.gif

Take care and will check in tomorrow.
Well, they are.
11.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
howdy everyone! Lorelei your post is dead on. I feel very self conscious with shorts bc I feel like I have very large upper thighs. SO says I have muscular thighs but I don''t want them bulky muscular!!!!! If anyone has tips for SLIMMING thighs please let me know. I dunno if lunges would or would not help with this.

Last night I didn''t do much (how lame). This weekend I got in two good workouts with Biggest Loser Cardio LEVEL 2!!! And some crunches and squats. Today I started with jogging and plan to do sculpting tonight with the new Self workout. Eating has been good for the most part!

Gecko - on the weekends I try to keep my goals in mind when I go to eat. I think to myself... is this really worth the extra work next week? If it is (like chicken wings are for me) then I do eat some, but if it isn''t then I don''t. I also tend to indulge but without over eating. I eat really moderately on the weekends, saving cals for my meals out lol.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Lorelei, great topic for this week! The weather is just starting to get warmer here, and I gotta say - it was disheartening when I tried on my old warm weather capris the other day. I''m never ready for how I look in my summer clothes at the beginning of spring. Is it weird that I don''t really mind shorts though? I just have the hardest time finding the right cut/fit - it''s like finding jeans, but adding in two more variables.

Gecko - I''m almost done with the first week of WW, and the weekend KILLED me, too! I was so frustrated. I tried my darndest to plan ahead for my meals (I went out of town with family for part of it) - I checked points before hand and figured out what I could eat at the continental bfast at the hotel, found out what I''d be eating for dinner, etc - but I didn''t account for the extra stops that my gparents would want to make for milkshakes when we were driving or how my parents would want to go out for dessert after a concert. Then, on Sunday, I volunteered at an event with a catered lunch, so I couldn''t even guess what they''d have. I''m hoping it will get easier as I get used to figuring out portion sizes/points, etc. But I agree with everyone else - the more you can plan ahead, the better. And, I also think that figuring out snacks helps a LOT. That way, even if I have an option over the weekend that I''m not happy about, I can eat a snack and that way I won''t be tempted to go crazy on a not-so-good for me meal.

Kimberly - Hooray for finding great shorts :) We''ve been having a similar weather swing - it was so cold yesterday in the 30s-40s with rain, but by this weekend, it should be 80. I''m excited for the warm weather, even if I''m not so sure I''m ready for it!

Tacori, thats awesome for your mom! I think it''s really motivating to have someone close to you lose weight/look great - just remember that you WILL be looking as beautiful as your mom when you''re 60!

Bee - Have fun with your honeymoon clothes! There were a couple of things I bought for my honeymoon that I still have packed away - I thought it was too tight or too revealing, but on my honeymoon I felt great and incredibly happy, and pretty darned sexy in those cute tops/dresses!

Beachrunner - Awesome results!! Great job!!!

Charger - Great timing for bootcamp! It is SO much easier to work out in the am when the sun is actually shining, isn''t it? I find that alone to be a such a big motivator in the morning.

Appletini - Wahoo for TBT class! I really like wearing skirts, too - I bought a couple cotton ones last year that I had fun runnng around in. Cotton dresses are wonderful too - I loved wearing those last year with flip flops.

SS - sorry to hear about your wrist
7.gif
good to hear you''re starting up yoga again! Take it easy :)

Stepcut - let us know how class goes! Which are you thinking about doing?

Marcy - Hiya!

Dragonfly - Way to go with your workout plan!! Sounds like you''re kicking butt!

So - here''s where I am. Today is the last day of my first week of WW. Over the weekend, I was feeling pretty frustrated (mostly about what I posted to Dani). I felt SO HUNGRY all week, and I''ve been near obsessive about the points thing (which I''m hoping is just because it''s new and I''m getting used to it). I think my biggest issue is getting used to eating less, and trying to get my "regular" foods to mesh with my new healthier ones - but it''s SUCH a shock to me when I realize that 4 slices of pizza (what I usually would eat for a meal) are most of the intake I should have for a day. Oh well, I''m learning, whcih is what I need to be doing!

At the beginning of the week, I was a little nervous about my meeting on Wednesday, because I''ve been really worried that I''ve been making all these changes and I might not see a result. But now I''m nervous for another reason -when I weighed myself at the Y this morning, I weighed 7 lbs less than I did when I weighed in at WW last Wednesday. I know there''s all sorts of variables there like different scales, water weight, etc - so I really don''t think my weight this morning is accurate at all, but now I''m curious about tomorrow''s weigh in. What if I''ve lost more than I''m supposed to (I''ve been hoping for 1-2 lbs a week)? Am I overdoing it? Have I done something wrong? Would I just gain it back?

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Elmorton - it looks like we started WW at the same time. I've done it before, once at 21 (I lost 55lbs in 9 months) and now, just a few years later, I've heavier than ever and find it harder than ever!

As for your possible 7lb loss - big ole losses like that are pretty common the first wee. A LOT of it is water weight coming off from the probable drop in sodium. It'll slow down, LOL. Also, a lot of people lose more a week at higher weights, and again, it slows with time.

The past few days have been good for me. I've been remembering how I did this so successfully before, and learning from the things that caused me to gain.

The first time, I was younger, I was walking to classes, I was working at Starbucks and running my heinie off for 9 hours a day, and I was poor and couldn't cook, so I was living off of packaged foods, which made tracking a breeze.

But - I can't eat lean cuisines every day for the rest of my life, LOL.

This time around, I'm cooking. And it's more interesting. And I sit in front of a computer for 9 hours a day.
14.gif

And.... it's harder. But everyone is right, I just need to plan things out more carefully!

ETA: The hungry. I feel you on the hungry. Meh.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 7:10:38 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Charger, I didn't want to mention it to my mom b/c I don't want to take away from her amazing accomplishment. How funny you mention that b/c it was my DH GOAL to weigh the same as I did when I went into labor
20.gif
Such a jerk! He never lost enough (thankfully) to make that happen. I just wish I wasn't hungry *all* the time.

oh Tacori, our hubbies have a similar "naughty" streak! We're going to begin TTC-ing shortly, and DH has commented that we may end up weighing the same after all, if i become PG.
20.gif

He drops weight just like *that*, and it's a true struggle for me (typical male/female scenario). ugh

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Good God i'm sore. My bum and the back of my thighs hurt. Probably from all those lunges yesterday. The only consolation is that my soreness isn't as bad as when i first started BC last Oct. That was hellish pain. This is just a nuisance.

Today's BC was hiking. We usually head to this same trail on Fridays, but it's just for intervals. Today we actually went hiking (which I LOVE). It was cool to see the sun rising above the Santa Monica mountains. And you could tell at 7a that it was going to be another warm one today!

I'm heading off to have lunch in a bit- grilled chicken sandwich with a wheat pita and string cheese. Dinner tonite is leftovers-we made a green chille chicken casserole (cooking light) over the weekend and will polish it off this evening.

See y'all later!

somethingshiny- take care of yourself!
Bee- your trainer WORKS you, wow! I've read that you like her "tough love"- i know exactly what you mean. It works for me, too.
Kimberly- i KNOW that you'll be back to your fit self in no time! hang in there...
Marcy- hope you got some zzzz's
Elmorton- It sounds like your body is just getting used to the WW plan. You may see a huge loss this first week, but as Dani mentioned, it could just be water weight. I'm not familiar with WW, but i'd think that you should be on track as long as you stick with the program.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Ooo, I am super excited! I just finished my first yoga class at the new studio in town. It felt really good to get my body moving again :) The instructor left alot to be desired-thankfully I am not a total newbie to yoga or it would have been a really confusing class!

Tomorrow a.m. is Pilates-yay!!! I am assuming it will totally kick my butt, but bring it on!

I am not sure about the spinning classes as of yet, I used to bike alot-but not in the last few years---so those classes, I imagine would really knock me out!

I really need to get my butt in gear-soon will be swimsuit season---ahhhhhhh!

Have a great week all

Has anyone used a R.O.M. machine?

1.gif

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
Hi guys!
35.gif

I thought I''d join you guys and help motivate myself and you! Yesterday, my DH and I started a Biggest Loser challenge between the two of us. We are basically putting away $50 a week each and winner takes all! I plan to win so I can buy something shiny!
I am a confessed sugar and simple carboholic so cutting those down will be hard. I have a lot of weight to lose (about 75 lbs.) and need to get over it feeling like this huge mountain I''m too scared to climb. I''ve started and failed so many diets... I need to make a whole lifestyle change and not think of this as temporary. Does anyone else feel this way? It''s like I get sick of trying to be "good" and then rebel and go WAY off track! What the heck is that about!?
Anyway, yesterday went pretty good. I didn''t have any sugary sweets and drank a good amount of water. We also started P90 and the workout was great!
Today is going great eating wise and we plan to work out after work. We are having fajita style chicken and veggies for dinner and I''m really looking forward to it!
Have a great evening everyone!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Paula
Welcome!!! My family and I did a biggest loser and loved it!! Have funnnn!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Evening all! Had a good day eating wise and exercise wise but I woke up like a bear with a sore head and have been in such a bad mood all day. It''s so unlike me so hoping that I feel better tomorrow. If ever I felt like diving into the chocolate, it was today. I got asked to do an extra shift in work as well so at least that distracted me for a while!

Elmorton-I hope I feel like that on my honeymoon too! Can''t wait for it!

Charger-glad someone else is a fan of the tough love. I think everyone thinks I''m strange when I tell them.

Hi to everyone else
35.gif
. Better go and study for a while! Night!

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Happy Tuesday!

I ate my usual for breakfast and lunch, but for dinner I made hamburgers! Instead of the bun I wrapped my burger in lettuce. The burger was topped with mushrooms and ketchup. (It''s not that bad, right?) I also had a side of baked beans. At the gym I did some weight training on the arms, and took EM1''s advice with interval training in another thread. It felt good, and ended up running about 4 miles. I made sure to stretch (it''s one of my favs to do!) and abs of course.

stepcutnut- Pilates are great. Great core strengthening exercise. I use some pilates move when I stretch at the end of my workout.

Paula-Welcome! Your "Biggest Loser" competition sounds like a lot of fun, and great motivation! Start off with small steps regarding your diet; if you give up everything at once, you''re more likely to "relapse". Start by replacing all your enriched white flour items with 100% whole wheat. (pasta, bread, cereal)

bee- I hope you feel better!

Charger- I love the feeling of a good workout! Call me crazy, but I like sore muscles! Your hikes sound amazing. FI and I hope to do a favorite hike of ours this Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results