shape
carat
color
clarity

Healthier Lifestyle Thread 17th Nov till 23rd Nov

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to report that after stepping away from the scale for several weeks I have managed to remain within my comfortable/normal range. I was so excited to see that I don''t have to weigh myself religiously to remain healthy and at a weight that I''m comfortable with.

Hooray for weight lost, Tacori!

Skip, how was your walk.

I hope your husband''s interview goes well, Zoe. Lots of dust coming your way.

Rod, sorry about needing a crown.

Have a great day everyone.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
HI everyone!

Okay here''s the very addictive Mac & Cheese recipe:

2 tbs butter (I cut that in half and sub with olive oil)
1/2 small onion, chopped into dice
1 pkg andouille sausage (or any other kind of spicy sausage), cut into diagonal slices
1/4 c flour
1 1/2 c milk
1 c cream
1 can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (found in Hispanic food aisle)
- your preference on number of chiles, chopped.
- 2 tbs of adobe sauce
* I use about 5-7 chiles, use less or more on your preference
2 c cheddar cheese, grated (sharp or mild, your preference)
1/2 box macaroni (or whatever pasta you want to use)

For the topping:
1/2 c bread crumbs
4 tbs parmesan cheese (optional)
1 dash garlic powder

Preheat oven to 350F
In a small bowl, mix all ingredients for topping and set aside
If sausage must be cooked, saute in a frying pan per instructions on package. *note, some andouille sausage/smoked sausage brands are sold fully cooked.
Boil pasta until just done. Drain and set aside
In a medium saucepan on medium-high, melt butter.
Add onions and cook until translucent
Add sausage
Whisk in flour until clumps into a ball in your whisk. KEEP WHISKING or it will burn.
Once flour & butter is combined, add milk and cream. Keep whisking until smooth again
Add cheese, chiles and adobo sauce continue to whisk until cheese is completely melted. Salt & pepper to taste
Mix in cooked pasta and transfer to a casserole dish
Top with breadcrumbs and bake in oven for 30 mins until bubbly.

Lisa''s notes:
I''ve used any kind of spicy/smoked sausage, (e.g. andouille, chicken andouille, polish, keilbasa (spelling?)) it''s all super tasty
You can make a separate one with no onions, no sausage and no chiles for kids or those that want traditional mac n cheese. Follow the same steps
You won''t use up all the chipotle chiles up in this recipe. I use a lot of chiles and still have half a can left. It''s great in tortilla soups and chili too so be creative
-------------------------------
Onto HLT stuff:
I went on a 3.5 mile run with the dog last night. It was 44F out!! woo hoo!! I got so hot I took my sweatshirt off and tied it around my waist about 1/3 way through. :) Happy happy. I then came back and did some crunches and some yoga.

Tacori, hey we''re here to help support you! Although I did just post said addictive mac n cheese recipe.
Marcy, I suppose it''s safe to run in the dark here. I clip a blinky bike light on the dog (she''s all black) and have reflectives on some of my running gear. Whether or not I''m worried about my security, I just try to keep myself aware of where and I am run on busy streets. Thanks for the concern though.
Rod, I hope you get some sleep!
Deejay, SUPER CUTE HAIRCUT!!!! I''d LOVE to get something like that, my hair is so totally bugging me. But my mom, aunts and everyone says I should keep it long until my wedding and then do the cut if I want. GROAN that''s like a year away...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats a fab recipe lliang, thank you so much, I will be making that for sure!

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
Hello all.

I would say hi individually but I am dashing out in a few minutes to babysit.

Just thought I would check in and let you all know how I am.

I have fallen off the wagon this week due to my hectic life. I WILL get back on track but I am counting it as a dead loss and a minor setback rather than a full on disaster.

We have been on two visits to the vets this week with our youngest hamster, Digit. He developed a large lump on his back, between his shoulder blades pretty much overnight. After the first trip to the vet, he suddenly seemed to have lost a lot of the use of his back legs. It got worse so he went back yesterday and as well as the antibiotics he had been previously issued with, he now has had a steroid injection to see if it will reduce the swelling and help him regain use of his back legs. The back left leg is just dragging along behind him and his back right leg is weak. The vet seems to think the lump is pressing on his spinal column, accounting for the loss of sensation in those back legs. I really hope the lump does go down. He is only 1.5 years old...our youngest. It's a shame because the rest of him is fine. His front legs are as strong as ever and he IS perky. Poor fella!

Add to that a lot of stress at work. I ended up teaching the class yesterday afternoon as the teacher was called away and had a massive report to write, so I took over. She was out for Monday and Tuesday too on a course, had to go out for a meeting this morning and we had no cover so it was down to us to struggle thriough without her. Chaos.

I feel a bit grotty today too. I had a sore throat last night, which when I woke up today had gotten worse...with a lovely pounding headache to add to it.

Oh woe is me eh?

I am dosed up though so feeling ok right now. So yes, it has been a rather hctic week and any healthy eating plan has been blown right out of the window.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Thursday kids!

This morning I did a hard hour on the hampster wheel. I was having such a good time that I was actually disappointed when the 65 mins were up. Crazy, I know!!

According to the scale I''m up a pound and a half, which p!sses me off, but not nearly as much as the fact that I have an appointment to get my hair cut in 45 mins and of course my hair looks GREAT today. Argh!!! It looks bad every other day; why does it have to look good right before I go to get it all whacked off?!?

Not much else to report. Wish me luck...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/20/2008 12:47:25 PM
Author: merrymunky
Hello all.

I would day Hi individually but I am dashing out in a few minutes to babysit.

Just thought I would check in and let you all know how I am.

I have fallen off the wagon this week sue to my hectic life. I WILL get back on track but I am counting it as a dead loss and a minor setback rather than a full on disaster.
Thats the spirit MM!
35.gif
I hope your little hammich is ok!

I am sending you lots of hair stylin' dust Miss Dee!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL Lor, I''m gonna need it! If I go and get my hair cut and it somehow looks WORSE that it looks right now I''m just gonna throw myself right in the river--and the HH is at work so he won''t even be around to do a "Demon swim" with me to the other side!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2008 12:49:25 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
Happy Thursday kids!

This morning I did a hard hour on the hampster wheel. I was having such a good time that I was actually disappointed when the 65 mins were up. Crazy, I know!!

According to the scale I''m up a pound and a half, which p!sses me off, but not nearly as much as the fact that I have an appointment to get my hair cut in 45 mins and of course my hair looks GREAT today. Argh!!! It looks bad every other day; why does it have to look good right before I go to get it all whacked off?!?

Not much else to report. Wish me luck...
Sending you luck. i am up a lb too; I think I know what happened w/me. Post a pic and I know you aren''t good w/pics but try and do it . heheh You will look adorable D!!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/20/2008 1:07:34 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
LOL Lor, I''m gonna need it! If I go and get my hair cut and it somehow looks WORSE that it looks right now I''m just gonna throw myself right in the river--and the HH is at work so he won''t even be around to do a ''Demon swim'' with me to the other side!
Dee you are going to look completely GAWGEOUS when it is done!
35.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone. I am such a whiner. I KNEW my body would never be the same post baby but I thought I would at least me in my old clothes by now! I never IMAGINED it would be this hard. I just need to remind myself that I HAVE lost 45 lbs...what''s another 10? I just still think I look SO chubby.

lliang_chi, I actually have a low fat mac & cheese I make if anyone is interested. I make it all the time b/c it is SO good without all the guilt. Plus it takes 10 mins to make.

Dee*Jay, I cannot wait to see what your hair looks like!!! You are brave!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/20/2008 1:46:45 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Thanks everyone. I am such a whiner. I KNEW my body would never be the same post baby but I thought I would at least me in my old clothes by now! I never IMAGINED it would be this hard. I just need to remind myself that I HAVE lost 45 lbs...what''s another 10? I just still think I look SO chubby.

lliang_chi, I actually have a low fat mac & cheese I make if anyone is interested. I make it all the time b/c it is SO good without all the guilt. Plus it takes 10 mins to make.

Dee*Jay, I cannot wait to see what your hair looks like!!! You are brave!
Yes please Tac, I would love the recipe when you have time!
35.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay...here it is:

2 cups elbow mac
1 cup skim milk
2 Tbsp flour
1 tsp. brown mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Makes 4 servings unless you are a pig like DH and I and we can polish off the whole pot in one sitting
3.gif

Boil the pasta. When you have about five mins left start the sauce in a frying pan. Add everything *but* the cheese. Whisk until thick on med-high heat. Just when you think your arm is going to fall off is when it thickens
2.gif
Slowly add the cheese and constantly whisk so it doesn''t burn. Drain pasta, mix in sauce and ENJOY! It is really good fresh and okay reheated (just to warn ya!)

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Tac,

If you add a little olive oil into your recipe, it should reheat better. And it''s still healthy.

Also I should have modified my recipe to make it a little healthier and it still tastes good.

1) whole wheat pasta
2) used olive oil and just 1 tsp of butter.
3) used milk and no cream (reduced fat and/or skim)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I found out today my dad has a little melanoma so he will have surgery to have it removed on Tuesday; I hope it doesn't come back, I don't know too much about this. If anyone knows can you please tell me???
7.gif
12.gif
My mom says not to worry so I won't and I am not going to look out on the internet so I don't worry.

It was super duper windy today so I didn't workout and wanted a day off because I am extra sore. Tomorrow I will be doing muscle hour w/my sister. Hubby is going out with his friends this evening so I am just going to veg and watch tv. hehe
1.gif

Have a good evening friend!

KIMI, ah, I bet the art project is fun and you are a fun and creative teacher. It is great the kiddos creative juices are flowing!

ROD, bummer, is this your 1st cavity? I think you said something like that once, so sorry. Thanks for the work out info!

LLIANG, that looks yummy! hehe Are you going to try the cookie recipe I posted? hehe

MERRYM, you can do it! Oh no, I am so sorry about your hamster, sending you a hug!

DJ, how is the hair? i bet you look Fab!

TACORI 45 lbs, that is quite the accomplishment. 10 lbs ain't bad and you will lose that in time; the last 10 are the hardest but knowing you I know you will do it, kudos!!! I love extra extra sharp cheddar too for extra flavor, thanks for the recipe!!

MARCY, I was only teasing about walking and grading. hehe I don't want you to get hurt. How are you knees?

appletini

Ideal_Rock
quick check in...I squeezed in a 30 min walk tonight.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Hiya!

I''ve been lurking for the last couple of days as things are nuts at work. I''ve got some projects going on, and everything needs to be done NOW.

I skipped the gym Tuesday and yesterday- i just wasn''t feeling it, and had to shake off my funk. I worked out today and feel so much better! I''ll hit the gym again tomorrow, and then begin bootcamp Sat morning.

My bootcamp trainer has done a great job of keeping her gals motivated during our emergency hiatus week. She''s been checking in, and reported today that she hiked our favorite trail to "test" the air quality. All is good!

She also mentioned that we''ll be keeping a food journal during this bootcamp, and emailed us the daily recording sheet along with her instructions:

Remember that this is on the honor system. It will not benefit you OR the boot camp to lie about calories. If you go over, we will burn more in that day''s session. Remember that we will count how many calories over TOTAL from everybody and that will determine the work-out for the day. i.e. If the whole team has gone over by 500+, then you can all but guarantee shuttle runs.

OY! She''s really kicking things up a notch!
23.gif
Disclaimer: i haven''t counted calories in a long time. I totally watch what i eat, and always go for low calorie/fat/sodium/carbs, but i''m totally clueless about actual calories. I''ll be looking to y''all to help me with this "project". Note that she would like us to consume 1800-2000 calories a day. Doesn''t this seem high? Then again, who knows how much I take in as i don''t count them!

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
OOPS- hit submit a bit too early!

Kimberly- I LUV seafood, but admit that Salmon isn''t my ultimate fave. It does seem a bit fishy, so it needs some "help". If we''re going for easy (think weekday dinner), then i smear some RUB YOU LOVE and broil it for 12 minutes. The rub is from Tom Douglas, an awesome Seattle chef and restaurateur: http://tomdouglas.com/products/spice-rub.html it really makes a difference! Grilling it on a cedar plank always gives it too flavor, too.
Marcy- We got my parents a digital pic frame for XMas last year, and they enjoy watching the "show"!
Zoe- Frekeh is a Middle-Eastern wheat product- kinda looks like lentils. It''s high in fiber and protein, and we get it at TJ''s.
Dragon- A super-duper congrats for hitting your goal weight!
Skippy- I don''t know much about melanoma, but hope that all goes well for your Father!
Dee- you can certainly ROCK a short haircut! post pics when you can
Rod- that hamburger is a heart attack waiting to happen- yuk!
LP- yum on the posole! I''ll take that over a burrito any day
lliang & Tacori- Those recipes look delish! THANKS for sharing
Hi Merry, Apple, Panda, Geko, Monnie & Miscka!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s been a long day, and I''m glad to be home. Tomorrow is a half day for the kids so the teachers can finish up conferences in the afternoon. I don''t have many scheduled, so I should get a lot of correcting and planning done. I''ll also work on my classroom for a good part of the afternoon (I''m in the middle of reorganizing it). I didn''t have time to go to the gym, but I''ll try to make it tomorrow (definitely on Saturday and Sunday, that''s for sure).

We really need to go food shopping, but since neither of us was in the mood, we ended up getting Chinese food delivered. I ordered the "Revolution Diet" special that has chicken, water chestnuts, and brococoli. It came with a very light spicy orange sauce, and it was really good. We made some sort of rice from TJs to go with it (lentil and biryani) which we had never had before. It was very tasty!

I''m just surfing around until Grey''s starts, and then after that it''s bedtime. I hope everyone had a good day! Tacori -- it''s good to see you!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Hi All,

I went to the gym after work, came home and am waiting for dinner (tacos!).

Thanks for the recipe, lliang! The one time I cooked with Adobo chiles I think I burned holes in mine and DH''s stomachs. We ended up throwing out the pan along with the food.

Skip, sending good thoughts along to you and your family.

Hope everyone has a great night.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey kids -- sorry for being MIA! Well... I DID IT! And it''s pretty damn cute, if I do say so myself!
3.gif
I tried to take a pic for you but taking (a) a photo of yourself (b) in a poorly lit bathroom is damn near impossible to do well. Maybe I can rope the HH into it this weekend.

Oh... and just because my life isn''t miserable/compliacated enough I just invited 109 people to my annual client party. So if everyone comes (please god, don''t let that happen) and if they all bring a guest (please god, don''t let that happen either) I will have over 200 in my house two weeks from tomorrow. ACK!!! This was the year I was going to try to move the party to a venue, but I never got around to it and now it''s obviously too late. But next year--I swear!

That''s all for tonight. Must go to bed...

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey.......It was a typical ''uber'' long day. I did sleep much better last night. Maybe my 4 mile run last night made me tired enough to sleep. I did leave work at a decent hour (translation: Before 6 PM), so I was on the gym floor before 6:30, which meant I could complete a 3 hour workout and be home by 9:30. Charlie had picked me up a salad earlier, so I had a nice healthy salad for dinner, then I had two pieces of dark chocolate for dessert. Charlie''s off tomorrow, so we''ll have our Friday nigth sushi date at favorite sushi place #2. WOO HOO that tomorrow''s Friday!!

I''m just a bit pooped, so I''ll have to say hey to everyone individually next time. I hope everyone had a good Thursday and you''re all looking forward to starting your weekend on a great note!

Also, some PS dust for a candidate I had interview for a job today would be so appreciated. Yes, I''d make money on this, but that''s not why I''m asking for Dust. This young man and his wife so need this opportunity. They''ve had a tough year. He was laid off from his job. Then his wife got cancer and required 4 operations. While that was happening, she lost her job and health insurance, so they had to spend every penny they had and then money they didn''t have to cover her medical bills. Then they lost their home. To get to the interview, he and his wife drove 22 hours, so they could both see the city. I had a message from the client when I got home from work that they loved him and as long as the personality test he took this afternoon comes back OK, they''ll be making him an offer. I try to not get too emotionally tied to my candidates, but this one has been a very special case for me and more than the money, I so want this couple to have some good news for a change.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Well, my butt''s sore! It finally hit me last night. After going up and down a ladder about 15 times, stretching WAY too far to reach bulbs, and climbing up the rails of my porch, my butt has decided to cramp all day!! I must say, it''s a strange feeling...

Anyway, I''ve been struggling with my snacking for the last few days. Whenever it starts to get cold, I feel like I just can''t eat enough. And, usually I want full meals. I''d like a pork chop for lunch while there''s a roast in the crockpot! If I don''t get it, I just reach for whatever I can find. I''ve stayed within my normal weight range, but I''ve got to put an end to the constant hunger!

On the upside, I had really good yoga yesterday. JT was using me as a tunnel during half of it, but still good.

I hope all is going well!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It was a cold and blustery morning in my neighborhood so I asked Marty to buy me a small hot chocolate when he stopped to buy his coffee.I fully intended to drink ½ of it.It was so tasty and warm I drank it all.Needless to say I was buzzing for about 90 minutes after that sugar and caffeine high.What a way to start the day.Lunch was PB sandwich and baked lays.We took my parents to supper at a rustic steak house north of town where they have a wonderful dessert we all split Hagen Daaz ice cream ball rolled in crushed Oreos.Yummy!

Kimi, I am delighted to hear you are in your comfort range and no longer have to worry about weighing yourself.That is a wonderful accomplishment.

Lliang, your mac and cheese sounds great.I am glad to hear you are aware of your surroundings and take your dog with you to run.Being from a small town I didn’t pay much attention to my surroundings but Marty has made me pay more attention.

Hi Lorelei.Our pants weather was only cold and windy – no snow or ice.

Merrymunky, I hope you and Digit get better soon.

DeeJay, don’t you hate that when the day you are getting a hair cut your hair turns out better than it has in weeks? That is great your new hairdo turned out cute.I can’t wait to see it.Your party sounds BIG and like a lot of work.I remember you had a party last year.

Tacori, losing 45 pounds is amazing!Congratulations lady.Your low fat mac and cheese recipe sounds divine.LOL at “when you think your arm is going to fall off”.

Skippy, I am so sorry to hear about your dad.Mega get well dust coming his way.We had the wind here too.I hope you aren’t sore tomorrow, another muscle hour will probably help.No worries about getting hurt I know my limitations.Tee hee.My knees are doing pretty good.I continue to notice I can walk and stand more than ever.Thanks for asking.

Appletini, that is great you squeezed in a 30 minute walk tonight.

ChargerGirl, your trainer for boot camp sounds serious.Counting calories isn’t bad.Most packages have info on them.I am glad your parents likes the digital frame for Christmas.

Zoe, I am glad you enjoyed your Chinese dinner tonight.

Rod, that is why you are an amazing recruiter – you care about the people you try to place.Lots of good luck dust going his way.They have had a tough year.

Somethingshiny, rats for a sore butt.I hope it feels better.Did they get your plumbing fixed?

Well, it’s well past my bedtime so I am off to bed.
Marcy

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
llaing and tac thanks so much for those recipes, I shall be making both for sure!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Morning All!

Dee, I can''t wait to see your hair. We won''t be in Chicago this winter, so please take a picture and post! That''s alotta people in your house, it''ll be a fantastic party though, I''m sure.

Charger, your bootcamp instructor sounds great. We''ll absolutely help you count cals, but once you start tracking it becomes really easy. I''d be eating on the low end of her range but it doesn''t seem terribly high to me.

I''m picking up my nephew tomorrow and he''s going to spend a few days at our house, then we''ll be at my parents'' for Thanksgiving so I''ll probably be around less. I won''t have time for the gym today, but perhaps will get in a workout before I leave tomorrow.

Have a great day all.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Morning all; I weighed in at Weight Watchers and lost 1.5 lbs (here I thought I gained a lb) so I think I lost of total of 24 or 25 lbs so far, woop! hehe
36.gif

KIMI, Charger and Marcy, thanks for the well wishes and prayers for my dad. I am sure he will be fine; I appreciate the good thoughts/prayers dear friends!
12.gif

Off to muscle hour. . .

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Happy Friday! I went to my TBT class today for the first time in a long time. The new trainer was teaching it, so it was my first time with her. It was a great workout, and she added a lot more cardio which I really need. Any my workout partner is going to be here next week too, so she and I are going to workout on Tuesday so we can get a good workout in before the holiday.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kimberly, what a wonderful feeling that you are in control and happy with your weight. Congrats girl! Scales are evil for sure. I can''t wait until I am in my comfort zone.

Dee*Jay, I wanna see a picture!

Skippy, not all of it was hard to lose since she was some of that weight
2.gif
I hope you are right and I will lose it. I LOVE extra sharp cheddar too!!! I buy the finely grated b/c it melts faster. Haha. CONGRAT ON 25 LBS!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
You should be so proud of yourself! Thinking of your family today!

CG, boot camp...you are tough girl! I am pretty lazy
2.gif
Once when I did my BMI and how many calories it said I think it was 1400 (to stay what my current weight was). So depending on how much you burn in the work-outs (which I am sure it is a ton) maybe that range is right. I am sure she knows best.

Zoe, good to "see" you too! I hate going food shopping too! I went at 8 pm last night when DH got home and it took me 1.5 hours! Of course I was getting stuff for thanksgiving and am crazy about coupons so it takes longer but hey I saved $42 (with sales and coupons). DH always tells me not to worry about them but it is a fun game I like to play. So far that has been the most I have saved but I want to beat my record!

marcyc, I swear as soon as my arm hurts it is done. So odd. I can''t take credit for all 45 lbs b/c some of that was DD and losing *some* was just a natural progression.

Lor, let me know if you like it. I do but I have SIMPLE taste buds (like of a 4 year old
20.gif
)

Hi Rod, Apple, SS
35.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Hey all, sorry I wasn''t on yesterday. The past two days have been super duper busy. I got in a great work out last night while watching ER and am eating well (ceasar salad for lunch today and yogurt w/ granola for breakfast). I am bloated though which is miserable. I might be out of town for the weekend so if I don''t make it back on, have a great weekend everyone! Sorry so short!

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
TGIF, everyone!

A quick flyby... I''ve been trying to get everything finished before I take off from work to spend Thanksgiving week in Hawaii. SO looking forward to some R&R, as well as some time to exercise and do some fun outdoor activities! I haven''t been to the gym this week but am at least happy to report that I''ve gotten my food intake under control. Been focusing on more veggies and protein and cutting down on the carbs. My body actually feels better already, definitely less of that dreaded bloated sensation.

Skippy, one of the judges I work for is in his early 70''s and just had a melanoma removed from the top of his head. He says it''s gone for good and he''s on the road to recovery. I''ll be thinking of you and your family and hope things go well with your dad''s surgery on Tuesday.

Sorry for not responding individually, I gotta get off this website or I''ll never make it to Hawaii! I''ll be back the following week.

HOPE EVERYONE HAS A GREAT THANKSGIVING!!! I am tremendously thankful to be part of this wonderful group. Thank you for everyone''s support, encouragement and inspiring stories. I really appreciate your willingness to share your lives and your friendship is a cherished gift.

35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results