shape
carat
color
clarity

HCA seems wrong...can this be true

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bdw146

Rough_Rock
Hey all...I have a question/statement for you guys.

Today I looked at 2 diamonds. One was a 1.25 carat and one was a 1.50 carat. Both were G VVS2. I had a Saran report run on both stones and the 1.50 carat stone came out with a score of 1.1 (crown = 34 and pavilion = 40.9) while the 1.25 carat scored a 2.7 (crown = 31.5 and pavilion = 41.4)

We would think that the 1.50 carat would have much more brightness, fire, and scinitilation than the 1.25 but this wasn''t the case. The 1.25 performed beautifully under regular sunlight while the 1.50 seemes to lose a lot of fire and inherited darkness in the center of the stone.

Don''t know if this makes a difference but the 1.25 has a table of 59% while the 1.50 had a table of 56%.

Can anyone explain this?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're in trouble
2.gif

a search for "obstruction" and "fire enemy of brilliance" might give you the answer. The truth is probably a combination of the two issues... and, of course, I have not seen the stones!

Also, somewhere is my inbox there is at leats one exaple of a Sarin report about 300% wrong
sad.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
well actually diamonds don't look their best in direct sunlight. indirect light is the best way to view them in my opinion, that is when you can really see what they are made of.

the 1.25 sounds like a slightly large tabled, more shallow stone. could definitely be a beautiful performer with those numbers, most likely alot more white brilliance than fire in the stone. where you have more fire, there is usually some brilliance sacrificed and vice versa. many people's eyes prefer a nice balance of the three (fire, brill, scint), but some people prefer one over the other...hence possibly why you feel the 1.25 performs better.

go with what your eye tells you BUT check out the stones in various lighting circumstances and not just sunlight, try indirect sunlight and other types before you make a decision.

good luck!

bdw146

Rough_Rock
Mara,

Thanks so much for the advice. I agree with you...numbers can go so far but the final decision should be made by the eyes. I'll let you know what happens!

Brian

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Mara, you beat me to the sunlight deal.
The 31 crown stone would be unlikely to look as good in a posh food place, with very small point light sources that make for more fire.
But at 2.7 it is not a disaster, and would also look very bright in office lighting if you held it alongside another diamond. Tt is also getting a better score for spread.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results