shape
carat
color
clarity

HCA scores when angles unknown

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

neo

Rough_Rock
Leonid- You stated in a post you made some calculations for different table-depth-girdle combinations in order to find the best and worst HCA scorces when crown and pavillion angles where unknown. Just about all the diamonds I have looked at so far do not state what the crown and pavilion angle's are. Could you please post which combinations of table-depth-girdle score well on HCA. Also which score poorly so I know what to avoid. (If it helps the diamond I am looking for is between 2.5-3 carats) I appreciate your help. - Neo:read:

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Neo,

Yes we did this kind of calculations. It is ongoing work on the advanced services for this site. But I'm affraid I cannot post the data - it is quite large database. Besides table and depth it requires girdle thickness and culet size to estimate best and worst possible HCA scores.

I could check one or two stones manualy for you but cannot do it on regular bases because of time constrain :)

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
How would you all feel about a subscription service (Say $10 for 1 months access) that gave you this online search tool that Leonid is describing (it has been a lot of work) to cull out the definitely ugly stones.
We would also include a more advanced HCA that we have now put in place that adds penalty scores for girdle and culet as well as a few other nice functions?
This advanced area would also give additional 'insider' knowledge for those of you who are up to a bit more technical stuff (as we find many e-buyers are).
Responses solicited.
Thanks
Garry Holloway

neo

Rough_Rock
I for one would certainly be willing to pay a fee as long as it is reasonable to help in my hunt.

TheKid

Rough_Rock
Cut Nut - A $10 fee for helping in making an informed decision on a 5, 10, or 15 thousand dollar purchase? Sounds like a very reasonable investment! I'd be interested to learn more, however I'm looking buy in the next day or so and may not be able to take advantage... Just my 2 cents! :loopy: MICHAEL

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Neo and TheKid... We appreciate your opinion very much indeed.

We have been debating with Garry for a while whether it's worth spending the time and efforts providing fee based advanced information and automated tools assisting online diamond selection.

I personally have doubts that consumers would pay even 10 bucks just because people are used to have all the information for free in the internet or scared to use their cresit cards online.

Besides, one can order a stone and hire a professional appraiser to examine it alive (not virtually)?

What do you think?
:confused:

TheKid

Rough_Rock
Leonid - You're right that we are getting spoiled by all this GREAT info for free on-line! I would see that the service would really not be worth it for people who are walking into Jewelers (Brick and Mortar). However, if someone is shopping on-line and had a desktop tool that could quickly rate diamonds based on statistics... You might have a niche there... As Gary stated, eBuyers are pretty savvy. Probably wouldn't get overwhelming demand immediately. In a nutshell, you probably wouldn't be retiring on profits from selling the service. Then again, you guys seem to really love what you do...

While I have you guys, one question on Table Size for PRINCESS or RADIANT cuts. According to the Tutorial, a Table should not be more than 65% for a dimond over 1/2 ct. A 2A class PRINCESS should not be more than 72%... I keep being shown diamonds with Tables in the high 70s (77, 78, 79). How rare is it to find a 1.75 Princess in the low 70s? If I go with one in the high 70s, will there be that much of a difference in that size diamond?

Thanks!! :wavey:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results