shape
carat
color
clarity

HCA score variations

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fuyu

Rough_Rock
I've recently purchased 2 loose diamonds online. The sarin reports were also posted at the vendor's website. The first one had a HCA score of 1.2 and the second one a score of 1.3. Both were rated "excellent" on light return, fire, and scintillation except for "very good" on spread. However, when I received the diamonds today and reentered the enclosed specs from the Sarin Report, the scores were different. The first one now scored 1.9 and the second one scored 2.0. The HCA now tells me that both stones rated "very good" in fire, scintillation, and spread except for excellent in light return.

I know there's a 0.5 variation (is that correct?) when a Sarin report is rerunned. However, the first Sarin report is provided by the same online company. (I have it somewhere at work--I'll have to dig for it tomorrow. ) Meanwhile, I'm not so sure why there's a variation in the HCA score. Please advice me and let me know if I have any reasons to be concerned. I have 10 days return policy.

fuyu

Rough_Rock
Hello Any Experts? I'm sitting here fiddling with my fingers.
Could you please give some insights on the HCA scores? I'm very concerned with why there's such a big variations with the initial HCA scores listed and the current HCA scores computed from the two stones. The tutorial said that a score of 2 and under is good, but I was going for something lower than a 1.9 and 2. Please advise.

mrmarius

Rough_Rock
My advice re: the HCA is the following (and I am not an expert, btw)... think about why you were "going for something better than 2." Is it because the stones, when you look at them, twinkle and sparkle less? Is it because if it scores less than 2, it is in the top 5% of diamonds? So what does a score of 2.0 or 2.1 mean? The top 6 or 7%?? Does that really matter practically?

Don't send them back just because a crown or pavilion angle is off by 0.2 of a degree. Send them back if you don't like the way they look.

I also think that Garry spoke about making some changes to the HCA which might result in a stone getting a bigger number... but he can speak to that, not me.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
How do YOU like the diamonds?

fuyu

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply.

I like the stones a lot. They look quite nice and has lots of spark. I figure if a lower score of HCA will yield a better looking stone visually for the same price, why not go for it?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 10/23/2002 3:21:02 PM

Thanks for your reply.

I like the stones a lot. They look quite nice and has lots of spark. I figure if a lower score of HCA will yield a better looking stone visually for the same price, why not go for it?
----------------

But, it may not. A stones "prescence" has other factors involved than just HCA score. Quite frankly, I'm not sure you will be able to "see" or quantify the difference.

JMHO, if the price is right and the stone looks great then go for it. Perhaps a second opinion might make you feel better.

fuyu

Rough_Rock
Thanks for y'all input. I feel much more relieved. If the differences in visual is not that much, I'll go ahead and just keep them. They are indeed nice stones and from a reputable online company.

I guess I was momentarily caught up in this data craze. Anyways, for the stone size and quality, the prices are quite reasonable and competitive. I have viewed them both under my idealscope and they both looked quite nice still.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results