shape
carat
color
clarity

HCA Score of 0.4

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sbeausol

Rough_Rock
Quick question on a diamond scoring 0.4 (0.87 ct) on HCA found here on pricescope.com.

I know the lower the score, the better the diamond, but how would a diamond scoring 1.5 compare? I am hoping to balance quality with what I spend. In other words, I am wondering if paying more for a diamond with a 0.5 score is truly worth every penny, or if I would be better served selecting a larger diamond (closer to 1 ct) that still scores well...

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Hi Sbeausol,

Perhaps this may help.

A score below 2 (Excellent) means you have eliminated known poor performers (more than 95% of all diamonds). Your own personal preference may be for a diamond with an HCA score of 1.5 more rather than one with a lower score of say 0.5.

Many diamonds with excellent scores may not be traditional 'ideal cuts' but we believe their value will rise once the GIA establishes its cut standard.
This system is being continually fine-tuned and results may change without notice.

Buy Informed!

slmulkey

Shiny_Rock
I could be wrong, but I don't think that there would be much price difference between a stone that scores a .4 vs. a 1.5.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
----------------
I could be wrong, but I don't think that there would be much price difference between a stone that scores a .4 vs. a 1.5.
----------------Slmulkey,

I'm afraid there can be quite a difference if one diamonds has AGS0 report while another one falls outside of AGS0 range.
:)

slmulkey

Shiny_Rock
Good point Leonid. I guess I was just thinking that good AGS scores do not always correlate well with the HCA. When I was looking for a diamond, I found several AGS000 stones that had HCA >2. But, I've heard that most AGS000 stones do score well on the cut advisor, so I guess this could translate to higher prices.

Happy Holidays! Only one more day of work before the christmas break :)

golfer

Shiny_Rock
I'm sure CutNut yearns for the day when HCA score is the primary factor in determining the price of a stone, but -- fortunately or unfortunately -- I don't think it affects the price at all. Of course, stones that score well on HCA will also tend to be well cut AGS0 stones, which of course cost more. But the relationship between HCA and price is not causal at all.

JayTee

Rough_Rock
The HCA is really a tool best used with stones that are sight-unseen. By inputting the information requested (depth and table %, crown and pavilion angles) you can weed out stones which may be referred to as "ideal" cut or "H&A" or even AGS0 stones which, although they fall into the AGS0 category, have other issues such as light leakage which HCA scoring accounts for.

If you are talking about two stones below 2 on the HCA, you need to use other factors to make your decision. Keep in mind that various stones are in different HCA classes, such as the BIC (Brilliant Ideal Cut), TIC (Tolkowsky Ideal Cut) and FIC (Fiery Ideal Cut). Refer to the pricescope tutorial for more information on that.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results