shape
carat
color
clarity

HCA rating variation

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

duck

Rough_Rock

Hi guys,

when i put diff combos of parameters in the HCA, i get diff ratings ranging from x/x/vg/vg 1.6, xxxvg (foreget total score),and x/vgvgvg 1.8 for an ave score of 1.4

i know im being kinda nuts, but is this singificant at all? i mean, assuming that everything else is perfect, can you really tell the differnece in visula reformance of a rating of 1.2 vs 1.8??

GIA 1.55 RB E VS2 ideal, H & A
table 57
crown ht 13.9
crown angle 34.6
pavillion depth 43.2
pavillion angle 40.9
girdle thickness 1.2-2.1, thin to medium
total depth 61.1
culet 0.4
symmetry excellent
polish excellent
no flor

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Everything under 2 means you have a pretty nice stone. Then it''s just a matter of personal preference.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/25/2005 12:51:33 PM
Author: Hest88

...Then it''s just a matter of personal preference.

... which I would not regard as a matter of quality.

Honestly, among H&A there are only subtle variations. It takes some lever of obsession with cut technicalities to develop a taste for one or another ever so slightly different version that may or may not make a visible difference after all.

If shown two diamonds, ''guess everyone would be able to choose a ''favorite'' is needs be
2.gif
(two are better than one, after all). But that doesn''t mean the differences were significant.

IMO, once the quality (i.e. objective characteristics of light return, symmetry etc) is insured, the choice is more about shape - if the matter doesn''t start and end with rounds - and size. Subtle differences of facet pattern and ''personality'' are probably less significant unless the stones are fairly large. And online it is difficult to appreciate such detail - although excellent photography helps in the rare instances when it is available.

My 2c

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results