shape
carat
color
clarity

HCA of 3.6 vs 0.8 - inclusions in attached photo for the 0.8

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
Hello all, I am new to this forum. I recently purchased my girlfriend's engagement ring from an online site after finding her "wish list"... Well I thought I did good until researching this HCA grading system. Below are the specs:

Measurements: 6.95 - 6.99 x 4.35 mm
Carat Weight: 1.30 carat
Color Grade: H
Clarity Grade: VVS2
Cut Grade: Excellent (GIA)
Depth: 62.5 %
Table: 56 %
Crown Angle: 36.0°
Crown Height: 16.0%
Pavilion Angle: 40.8°
Pavilion Depth: 43.0%
Star Length: 50%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted, 3.5%
Culet: None
Polish: Excellent (GIA)
Symmetry: Excellent (GIA)
Fluoro: Medium Blue

HCA was 3.6 and now I'm worried I should send it back! It's in a classic halo, lower setting (she works in the medical field and is on and off with gloves all day, did not want a high set stone).

Please help :errrr:

Thanks in advance...

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
Re: HCA of 3.6 ...

Update ... exchanged it for the following. It's a little smaller but it's in a halo, and it's a 0.8 HCA. It was worth it to me to go .09 smaller in order to get more brilliance. Good decision or bad?? Inclusions are below in image.

61.7% depth, 56% table, 34.5° crown angle, 40.6° pavilion angle
Carat weight 1.21
Cut: Signature Ideal (Blue Nile)
Color: H
Clarity: VS1
Length/width ratio: 1.0
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.82 x 6.85 x 4.22 mm

_35564.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: HCA of 3.6 vs 0.8 - inclusions in attached photo for the

HCA is a great rejection tool (reject rounds scoring over 2.0).
But even the creator Garry Holloway says it is not a final selection tool.

The next step is to see an Idealscope image.

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/ideal-scope

Post it here for feedback or compare it to this chart.

http://ideal-scope.com/reference-chart-ideal-scope-images/

If your vendor cannot or will not provide Idealscope image find another dealer, or buy your own Idealscope.
Return the diamond if it fails.

idealscope_6.png

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock

Great, thank you! Blue Nile has nothing like this, so I will have to go to a jeweler once the ring is here I am guessing... I appreciate the help!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That's why I would not buy from Bluenile, that and they do not provide photograhs of the actual diamond.
THey are a drop shipper.
They don't have the diamonds in their vaults.

Correction: Their Signature line is in their vaults, but they won't even take pics of those or offer Idealscope images.

I have bought from and recommend Whiteflash and Good Old Gold.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

qui499kyl|1449807001|3960068 said:
Great, thank you! Blue Nile has nothing like this, so I will have to go to a jeweler once the ring is here I am guessing... I appreciate the help!

"Going to a local jeweler may not help either.
Few use Idealscopes.
Idealscopes reveal imperfections ... and few dealers sell diamonds cut well enough to withstand the scrutiny of the Idealscope.

You'll have to buy an Idealscope if you insist on buying from Bluenile.

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock

Actually it has GCAL...

_801.png

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock

Is the GCAL report comparable to the ideal scope? Similar colors in some of the images, but uncertain whether I'm looking at the same thing...

Thank you!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The size difference is a tenth of a mm (.0039 inch), you won't notice the size difference. As for whether the inclusions be visible? In a VS1 sone, probably not. NOT AN EXPERT

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

ringo865|1449844755|3960165 said:
The size difference is a tenth of a mm (.0039 inch), you won't notice the size difference. As for whether the inclusions be visible? In a VS1 sone, probably not. NOT AN EXPERT

Not speaking about these specific diamonds, but - in general - with almost no exceptions diamonds that have a GIA (or AGS) clarity rating of VS2 (or the equivalent) and higher will be eye-clean. The easiest way to know is to ask the vendor to have a gemologist inspect the diamond to determine if it is eye-clean. You may want to ask for the vendor's definition of eye-clean as well; it can vary from place to place.

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock

Thank you everyone for your help!! I looked at the hearts and arrows in the GCAL report, and they're not perfect - however, this exact diamond with the perfect hearts and arrows from Blue Nile is a color grade lighter and like 3k more expensive (out of price range). They do offer an upgrade plan - with a kicker. The upgrade diamond has to be double the price of the original, but you can apply the whole value of one toward it - when we are in a better place financially, I can get her the DEF ring I'm sure she would love the most. We just bought a home and have a 1 year old, so I don't want to be irresponsible. Anyway, rambling. Thanks for the help!

I'm confident that the 1.21 ct stone, while smaller, will be a better cut. Again while hearts and arrows werent PERFECT (they were essentially symmetrical in appearance, but the tips of the hearts curved on 2 of them), the rest of the cuts seem to measure where I would want them for the best possible show.

Does anyone know what this diamond will actually look like? Like firey vs. brilliant, etc?

Thanks again. The knowledge here is remarkable!

miraj

Rough_Rock

Depending on where it falls on the HCA, you can estimate whether it will be more firey vs more brilliant. See this article: https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/holloway-cut-advisor

As for the size difference, it is a 4% visual difference which isn't much. Google 'diamond finger visualizer' to find a tool to help visualize the difference.

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock

Thank you! It looks like it has equal of fire and brilliance?? And it's in the "young people" category. I won't get to see it now until Feb because her setting is custom :wall: :wall:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results