shape
carat
color
clarity

having problems with a ring return.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rofire

Rough_Rock
can a GIA gemologist tell if a ring has been worn vs. just tried on?

I'm trying to return a ring and the guy is saying that it was worn. It was never worn. It was handled by the appraiser, and it was tried on, but that is it.

thanks

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I can tell a ring has been worn for a day or two versus worn out or never worn other than for a moment or two.

The proble is, what condition was the ring in when you received it? Had it been worn by someone previously for a few days or weeks without having been refinished?

A ring can generally be made just as if it was new with re-polishing. How long did you have the ring in your possession?

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
I think what jewelers are trying to prevent is a very common thing for (nearly always) women (and much less men) to do -- buy shoes, a dress, or jewelry on a Fruday -- wear it to a fancy event, and return it on Monday. Same thing people did with camcorders before they stopped allowing returns all together on those -- or TV sets before the SuperBowl.

rofire

Rough_Rock
I got the ring brand new. The ring was in my possession for about 2 weeks. It was never worn for more than 30 seconds because it didn't even fit any of her fingers. It was handled by me and the appraiser and I did put it on my pinky a couple of times as did the appraiser. Can the cumulative affects of trying on a ring cause it to show what some might consider it "being worn"?. I was supposed to have received this ring as brand new. I have no idea if someone wore it before me. This whole experience for me has become a big depressing mess.

rofire

Rough_Rock
r silvers, I don't think its very economical to do this just so one can wear a ring for a weekend. First of all there are things I had to pay that I will never get back.

1. Credit card min paymeny of around $30
2. Return Shipping and insurance $60

= 90 bucks down the drain.

For me, add another $70 I had to pay for the appraisal and maybe another month of credit card payments and I'm down $190.

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
If it has not "been worn" then push them harder and/or have the credit card co withold payment (if it was paid for on a card).

I am just saying why some stores might be strict. I am not saying you did that. They can buff it up and resell it easily.

rofire

Rough_Rock
rsilvers. Yeah I understand what you're saying. Maybe if someone did this with like a 3-5 cts stone. I can see why companies, especially small internet companies could be concerned with this.

I must say(to be fair) that they didn't say they wouldn't refund me all my money. The gemologists on their end are having issues with the ring being worn. I'm just freakin out because there is possibly a lot of my money on the line(maybe Im just being paranoid)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results