shape
carat
color
clarity

Having multiple china patterns...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
I read on here awhile back about this really great way to have many different patterns but not break the bank for each one. It was something like you buy a few important pieces in the desired pattern and then just keep the rest really plain (like in clear glass I think). I can''t remember who descibed it but I''d love to know where that post was because I need to read the suggestions given there.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
my server won''t let me link but here is the thread:

does anyone actually use fine china/crystal/sterling?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a great thread! It's really chock full of information about everyone's china, crystal, and silver patterns with some good general advice thrown in! I disagree that silver is a southern thing...er thang...ladykemma. :) I probably qualify as a Yankee given my matrilineal lineage (mother and grandmother both born in Connecticut, which is in New England). I do have silver, though, possibly even as much as you! I received for my wedding and bought a huge amount in my own pattern from Tiffany & Co. (12 place settings with many esoteric items I can no longer even identify...what was I thinking?). I also have half of my mother's silver although she is alive and well. She divided it between my brother and me when he got married about 20 years ago since she was no longer entertaining. I also have been unable to resist certain unrelated pretty pieces of flatware I have encountered in my travels. And I have bought a sterling silver Reed & Barton bell ornament for our Christmas tree every year since we were married (that means 30 bells). I think of silver more as old fashioned than as southern. It seems to me (but I am not in the know about bridal trends) that many contemporary brides do not want sterling silver flatware. Is that true?

Deborah
34.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/8/2007 6:02:41 AM
Author: ladykemma
my server won''t let me link but here is the thread:

does anyone actually use fine china/crystal/sterling?
HI:

I have two patterns; one I use everyday and the other hardly ever (Doulton). I have chipped most of my original crystal (Orrefors) and subsequently never use my newer stuff (Stuart). I have to hand wash it and that is a drag/deterrent!!! I have no s/s flatware of my own, but my Mom has two sets. She uses it for large gatherings. Maybe I''ll inherit one......LOL I''d love another set of china--I love some of the really ornate Royal Crown Darby patterns (Imari?), and would use it all the time if I had it. The stuff wears out (like my original Doulton) but that is great--so I can justify getting another one!

cheers--Sharon

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer having all white plates/bowls etc. I have two sets of these LOL but I have a few sets of salad plates. I go nuts with those - red, yellow, prints... I get only sets that will go with the white, but I use them for lunches, snacks, or to go atop the plates. I have a set the kids painted, those are fun :) I don''t have anything insanely expensive, but I got the salad plate idea from a rich old cousin of mine who has WAY too many sets of fine china, but a particular fancy for expensive salad plates LOL You can change a whole look just by adding them and they dont'' take up *that* much space, relatively.

laine

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/8/2007 10:12:25 AM
Author: AGBF

It seems to me (but I am not in the know about bridal trends) that many contemporary brides do not want sterling silver flatware. Is that true?

While I can''t speak for everyone, I do see a trend away from fine china among my friends. Most seem to get a really nice "everyday" set. I haven''t seen anyone register for sterling. Personally, I would love a nice set of sterling silverware, but the cost is just too much (to register, at least--I don''t expect 8-12 people to spend that much on me). I''ve been collecting a random assortment of silver plated pieces of silverware from thrift stores and yard sales and such, so I have a "complete" set of mismatched pieces that I love. Still, someday, I''d love a full set of sterling.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results