shape
carat
color
clarity

does anyone actually use fine china/crystal/sterling?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
rather than thread jack the post below, i thought i would start a new thread.

I guess I'm weird because i use my fine china a lot. I have lenoz federal cobalt (blue) and a set of garage sale "green stamps" china in pink roses. remember "green stamps"? both in service for 10.

and I have several sets of sterling (I'm a collector). I pick it up "used".

My pride and joy - I have a set from the year the titanic sank -1912. it's edwardian and stunning. Provenance is from an alabama lady, scrap of paper found inside the bag. I found in on the dirt floor in a burlap sack in a barn junk shop in town of "Cut and Shoot" Texas near conroe. Mildewy and awful. i paid the man $200 for a service for 8 luncheon and dinner size. it takes two chests to hold it all.

I seek a set of used francis 1st (dinner size), in my wanderings. earlier than 1950 with the "M" for "massive". The suhthuner's junior league dream.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I''m probably one of the few that like to use it. We love to cook and have dinner parties. While I won''t pull out the silver, etc for just the two of us b/c I don''t want to handwash all the time. I will definitely use it if we invite people over for a nice dinner.

laine

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have any of that now, though I intend to register for china when the time comes. Sterling flatware-maybe, but its so expensive. I actually have a collection of mismatched silver plated flatware and serving pieces that I love, so I may stick with that. Crystal-probably not, I just don''t care. I don''t really like the look of crystal, and I don''t drink wine.

Growing up, we used the china on special occasions, like birthdays, celebratory dinners, holidays, and when we had guests-so not everyday, but more than a few times a year.
The sterling we used pretty regularly. My brothers are responsible for the loss of several spoons (thrown away in yogurt containers, we think).
The waterford came out mostly only when guests were over, I think. I never paid attention to what my parents had their wine out of, so they may have used it more often.

The china and silverware went in the dishwasher (maybe the waterford too, I don''t remember). If we were going to use it like everyday stuff, we had to be able to treat it like everyday.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lucky you, Ladykemma -- I''d love to have a set like the one you described. I adore antiques. If it were mine, though, I''d be too paranoid of damaging it to use it! It''s that line of thinking that led me NOT to register for fine china when I got married. I registered for a plain ole everyday set from C&B. It''s plain white with minimal detailing (the "Staccato" style) and is nice enough so that I can use for every day AND for dinner parties. I made sure to choose a style that could work either way.

Maybe someday when I have a gorgeous walnut hutch for my dining room, I''ll entertain the idea of investing in some fine china!

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
The only thing I currently have that fits into that category is the Waterford crystal vase currently filled with flowers on the dining room table.

But my family uses silver/crystal/china regularly and I plan to once we have it. They use the silver (repousse) and the nice wine glasses daily. The china is displayed in their china cabinet and comes out on nicer occasions, but they have several other more casual patterns and rotate a bit.

By the way -- ALL of my family is in Virginia. LadyKemma, I know you''re in Texas. It would be interesting to see if it''s kind of a regional thing.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i DO think it''s a southern thang.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2006 10:20:07 AM
Author: KristyDarling
Lucky you, Ladykemma -- I'd love to have a set like the one you described. I adore antiques. If it were mine, though, I'd be too paranoid of damaging it to use it! It's that line of thinking that led me NOT to register for fine china when I got married. I registered for a plain ole everyday set from C&B. It's plain white with minimal detailing (the 'Staccato' style) and is nice enough so that I can use for every day AND for dinner parties. I made sure to choose a style that could work either way.

Maybe someday when I have a gorgeous walnut hutch for my dining room, I'll entertain the idea of investing in some fine china!
once you start looking for it you see it everywhere. people get rid of it because they never use it.
pay no more than 5 dolllars per piece.

Don't be afraid to use it. What's the point of having it? silver loves to be used. it gets prettier every time you use it. NO dishwasher. ruins it. ruins knives, because there is a wooden core in there. ruins the silver - makes a silver chloride yellow crap on outside of the silver. removes antique patina. No dips.

I love the "blue look" of antique silver.

i would love to see the repousse that is used everyday. i bet it is gorgeous.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
I'm in NYC and I don't use china, crystal or silver! We didn't register for any fine china because I know I'll never use it but when I was much younger, my mother bought a beautiful set of china for me and one for my sister--in case we never got married! It's white with gold--very fancy schmancy! So I do have a set with service for 12 but it's at my parents' house for now. For our wedding, we registered for and received the Michael Aram lotus pond set from Bloomingdale's. It's kind of upscale every day stuff--not as fancy or delicate as china but more functional.

For silver, we actually registered for and received the whole Vera Wang Cabochon collection but it's stainless. I just know I would never deal with the hand washing and polishing of sterling.

I have a few crystal pieces but we prefer the Riedel stemless glasses for wine and everything else so we got 10 of each kind they have at Williams Sonoma.

It's funny because when I was a little girl, my mother always told me that the 3 most important things to have when you get married are china, crystal and silver! Perhaps it's generational or maybe regional...

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i have really cheap crystal - the stuff Longchamps from target. don''t care if it breaks.
1.gif

i tend to handwash everything anyway. i can handwash, dry and put away faster than dishwasher and unloading. i hate unloading.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2006 10:29:35 AM
Author: Blenheim
The only thing I currently have that fits into that category is the Waterford crystal vase currently filled with flowers on the dining room table.

But my family uses silver/crystal/china regularly and I plan to once we have it. They use the silver (repousse) and the nice wine glasses daily. The china is displayed in their china cabinet and comes out on nicer occasions, but they have several other more casual patterns and rotate a bit.

By the way -- ALL of my family is in Virginia. LadyKemma, I know you''re in Texas. It would be interesting to see if it''s kind of a regional thing.
what patterns are you registering for?

i would pick up used silver after the fact. much cheaper to buy estate.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, boy, it certainly was a southern tradition when I married! I have service for 12 in fine china (Minton), 12 place settings of Gorham sterling, and Waterford crystal, too. Where does it sit? In china cabinets and a silver chest! We don''t entertain often but when we do it is very casual..like grilling out. So I might buy some pretty disposable plates for that or else use the everyday stuff. I even had registered a medium Royal Doulton pattern, but at some point I sold it to a replacements place because I found a Villeroy and Boch pattern I liked better! However, it mainly sits in the cabinet, too. So I have resigned myself to buying NO more china of any kind unless it is specifically for everyday. I hope my daughter''s will want all this stuff, but I expect things will stay casual for quite some time, so it may all end up sold eventually (except the silver which I''d keep). I also have sterling silver tea set, and I really should sell it, but I can''t imagine who''d really want one these days.

amyg

Shiny_Rock
i registered for Kate Spade''s Pebble Point which I love, but have to date only 4 place settings...hope to have more and definitely plan on using it as much as possible!! Oh and I''m from SC...

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2006 11:33:01 AM
Author: amyg
i registered for Kate Spade''s Pebble Point which I love, but have to date only 4 place settings...hope to have more and definitely plan on using it as much as possible!! Oh and I''m from SC...
oh that''s pretty.
nice and neutral. will go with easter, and passover, and christmas, and everything!

most people don''t know that bone china is really hard and durable.

another from the south. yup.

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2006 11:17:46 AM
Author: ladykemma
Date: 7/14/2006 10:29:35 AM

Author: Blenheim

what patterns are you registering for?

i would pick up used silver after the fact. much cheaper to buy estate.

I''m still not sure. Within the past few months, my parents have decided to move to using more modern silver and may pass down the repousse to me as a wedding present, which would be wonderful (it originally belonged to her great-aunt, or someone like that). My grandmother has I don''t even know how many patterns, and my mom mentioned that she might give one to me. So, if I''m given family china/silver, I think I''ll just register for nice kitchen things (I love to cook). If not, I need to find a pattern I like. I prefer ones that don''t look very bridal, if that makes sense, and it seems like they''re harder to find.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not from the south. LOL.

But my 'everyday' china is Wedgewood White, I have 20 place settings and a large collection of porcelian whiteware that I use often. It's fancy because it's all excellent quality, but it's also steamlined and unfussy in design. We use stainless steel flatware for everyday... handwashing isn't an option for everyday.

But I have my grandmother sterling (will have to post pics of it later) it's 60 years old, from europe and oversized. The pattern looks French to me. And I have registered for Fairfax sterling. My everyday is Fairview. Same pattern just different material.

My 'fine' china I've registered for is Waterford Brocade. But I have 12 peice set of white vintage china with Platinum band DF's grandmother that we use for sit down dinner parties. And my mother keeps trying to give me ber 12 piece setting of Lenox Autumn-- unused-- which I may take and use for Thanksgiving, although it's not to my taste at all (or hers).

We use crystal everyday. All of my wineglasses, etc are Riedel Vinum. And I have two sets of drinkware glasses for milk and juice-- one is crystal, and it gets used regularly.

I don't like cut crystal at all. Neither does DF. The crystal we've registered for is Wedgwood Vera Wang Classic and we will definitely use it.

Here's the Vera Wang Classic:
61_1_b.JPG

Here's the Brocade:

brocade_teacs.jpg

16_1.JPG

Here's Fairfax:

p0221088c.jpg

luvn2oxfrd

Rough_Rock
i do i do! we host holiday dinners and i have a different china pattern for each: christmas, easter, white on white and gold trimmed cream! and whenever the china goes out, so does the crystal. i love playng "dress-up."

my pride and joy, however, is the sterling silver. i received a few pieces off my registry, but my mom finished our setting for our first anniversary. we use is as everyday silver....if you keep it in use you don''t have to polish it :D

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
.... very nice!

I don't know if you know this or not but fairfax is one of the heavier gorham/ durgin patterns.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2006 12:53:35 PM
Author: luvn2oxfrd
i do i do! we host holiday dinners and i have a different china pattern for each: christmas, easter, white on white and gold trimmed cream! and whenever the china goes out, so does the crystal. i love playng ''dress-up.''

my pride and joy, however, is the sterling silver. i received a few pieces off my registry, but my mom finished our setting for our first anniversary. we use is as everyday silver....if you keep it in use you don''t have to polish it :D
what are the patterns?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, I love the Fairfax with that china pattern! I really didn''t tell all that I have because it''s sort of embarrasing since I rarely use it. I also have Spode Christmas china, and my most favorite of all is a set of French Quimper hand-painted china called Soleil (yellow). I love the Quimper and really want to display it even if I don''t use it. I have some blue Gorham (I think) crystal to go with the Quimper and the Villeroy and Boch, and I have another set of non-cut crystal, too. Maybe this thread will make me think about getting some of it out to use! I need to take a picture of my favorite for you!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a picture of the Quimper Soliel:

quimper1.JPG

E B

Ideal_Rock
Not at all.

FH and I were joking the other day about registering for our "china" at ikea, because we just bought a cheap yet FABULOUS stoneware set there a month ago. Our cheap silverware came from ikea as well, and they're perfect for us. We're no frills people.

But seriously, when we register, it'll be for basic, earthenware plates (maybe with a little color
9.gif
) and stainless steel flatware. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the look of china. Most of it just looks old.

ETA: FH and I really like this set. Fingers crossed C&B doesn't discontinue it for at least 6 months!
Audrey Dinnerware

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2006 1:24:42 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Gypsy, I love the Fairfax with that china pattern! I really didn''t tell all that I have because it''s sort of embarrasing since I rarely use it. I also have Spode Christmas china, and my most favorite of all is a set of French Quimper hand-painted china called Soleil (yellow). I love the Quimper and really want to display it even if I don''t use it. I have some blue Gorham (I think) crystal to go with the Quimper and the Villeroy and Boch, and I have another set of non-cut crystal, too. Maybe this thread will make me think about getting some of it out to use! I need to take a picture of my favorite for you!
me too. i also have lenox winter grretings fine china for christmas and friendly village stoneware for thankgiving.

i have never seen quimper before. I like it. what country?

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
After much searching, I just found a pattern that I LOVE -- Jasper Conran Chinoiserie Fine Bone China. I haven''t run it by FI yet, and there''s definitely a chance that he won''t like it, but here it is:

5013269746_Mood_2md.jpg

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Well, coming from a VERY laid-back Hippie parent-ed upbrining, I was lucky if I even HAD dishes that matched. So, I''m not really looking into getting some fine china- I break things. Easily. Don''t get me wrong, I''d LOVE to be able to have a set of china, but right now, living in a one bedroom apartment, we have no space to even store it, if we had any. We have this stoneware/china that was passed down from my grandma, but my aunt has it, and I believe she''ll pass it down to her daughters. That''s fine with me for two reasons: One, it''s UGLY, but it was Grandma''s, so I love it anyway; Two, I''VE got her wedding ring, so I''m happy.

We''ll probably register for upscale every day type of things from Macy''s or C&B. Lucky for me (yeah right). the dishwasher is broken, so I AM the dishwasher. So when things break when I wash them, I know who did it!

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
I have a fine china set that I use whenever I want the dinner to be ''fancy''. You know, if I have people over for dinner or if I''ve made a bit of effort with dinner for the two of us and we''re eating at the table rather than in front of the tv. But it''s not a super fancy style: Mikasa''s Classic Platinum, so it has simple platinum bands. And it''s dishwasher safe.
I don''t actually have this piece, but it shows the design off well:
mikasa_classic_platinum_oval_covered_vegetable_bowl_P0000058514S0006T2.jpg

I didn''t bother with silver, but I do have a very pretty stainless set that''s formal enough to match the china and I use that all the time. We joke that we''re the perfect match since I have the silverware and china and he has an amazing set of crystal glasses. So no need for a registry on our parts!
2.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lady K I know. But I was in the china department at ... crap the store in Walnut Creek. Can't remember-- great China department... for FIVE HOURS -- they gave me a round table with 6 chairs and white linen (I knew I wanted a white background) and told me to mix and match to my hearts content. They didn't even HAVE the fairfax... I ran over to macy's bought a box of place settings of fairview ( I knew fairfax was similar) and ran back to the table once I saw the Brocade china because I knew it would work... and they had nothing like it there. I adore the Brocade it's got everything I wanted white, ecru, light floral, basic black and platinum... and with that greek key design it needs something strong and very clean to pick up on that balance out the floral leaves and such. It just looks so RIGHT together that well... I couldn't pick another. But it is really expensive because of the weight. There's actually an ebay auction for ful 12 piece place setting of it for 1200 minimum with estimate at 3000 for value. Do you know of anything similar to the pattern that is more affordable? I have never seen anything. Oh the plius side, Brocade is a very affordable pattern... so it balances out. And the Vera Wang Crystal is affordable too... especially on ebay.

Thanks DS. They look great together, they really do. Would love pictures of your favorites... Replacements.com has a some decent pics of hard to find patterns. DS just saw the Quimper... very cool. So colorful and bright. I keep wanting to get some color... but I just don't for some reason. Strange.

Blenhiem... I LOVE that Jasper Conran set. I'm actually contemplating buying the accent plates for it to use with my White set with teal chargers. REALLY love that set. Great choice.

My secret desire is for some Haviland Limoges china... there is one pattern (discontinued) in particular that I WANT.

Funny story. The first time we went china/ crystal shopping DF and I were set on Riedel Sommolier crystal for our china-- no matter what it was-- because we dislike cut crystal so much. God, you should have seen the expression on the sales woman's face... she was like, "no, no NO. Those are for cocktails. NOT fine dining. We WILL find you something appropriate." I was terrified. But she did find some nice alternatives for us.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2006 5:05:26 PM
Author: Gypsy
Lady K I know. But I was in the china department at ... crap the store in Walnut Creek. Can''t remember-- great China department... for FIVE HOURS -- they gave me a round table with 6 chairs and white linen (I knew I wanted a white background) and told me to mix and match to my hearts content. They didn''t even HAVE the fairfax... I ran over to macy''s bought a box of place settings of fairview ( I knew fairfax was similar) and ran back to the table once I saw the Brocade china because I knew it would work... and they had nothing like it there. I adore the Brocade it''s got everything I wanted white, ecru, light floral, basic black and platinum... and with that greek key design it needs something strong and very clean to pick up on that balance out the floral leaves and such. It just looks so RIGHT together that well... I couldn''t pick another. But it is really expensive because of the weight. There''s actually an ebay auction for ful 12 piece place setting of it for 1200 minimum with estimate at 3000 for value. Do you know of anything similar to the pattern that is more affordable? I have never seen anything. Oh the plius side, Brocade is a very affordable pattern... so it balances out. And the Vera Wang Crystal is affordable too... especially on ebay.

Thanks DS. They look great together, they really do. Would love pictures of your favorites... Replacements.com has a some decent pics of hard to find patterns. DS just saw the Quimper... very cool. So colorful and bright. I keep wanting to get some color... but I just don''t for some reason. Strange.

Blenhiem... I LOVE that Jasper Conran set. I''m actually contemplating buying the accent plates for it to use with my White set with teal chargers. REALLY love that set. Great choice.

My secret desire is for some Haviland Limoges china... there is one pattern (discontinued) in particular that I WANT.

Funny story. The first time we went china/ crystal shopping DF and I were set on Riedel Sommolier crystal for our china-- no matter what it was-- because we dislike cut crystal so much. God, you should have seen the expression on the sales woman''s face... she was like, ''no, no NO. Those are for cocktails. NOT fine dining. We WILL find you something appropriate.'' I was terrified. But she did find some nice alternatives for us.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Durgin-Gorham-Fairfax-47Pc-Sterling-Silver-Flatware-Set_W0QQitemZ140005960632QQihZ004QQcategoryZ20106QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

it has an s monogram. s have any significance for you?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
We chose not to register for "fine" china when we got hitched. It just wasn''t our style. Instead we opted for a set from Pottery Barn. I think it''s called Asian Square. We use it everyday. On special occasions we pull out the matching square wood chargers.

img35l.jpg

I love going to Marshalls or Ross and finding great deals on nice crystal glasses.
1.gif
Whatever you have, USE IT and ENJOY IT!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/14/2006 1:48:48 PM
Author: ladykemma

Date: 7/14/2006 1:24:42 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
me too. i also have lenox winter grretings fine china for christmas and friendly village stoneware for thankgiving.

i have never seen quimper before. I like it. what country?
It is from France.

Gypsy, I went to France a long time ago when I was very young, and I first saw Quimper and Limoges there, and I have always loved both!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results