shape
carat
color
clarity

Having buyer's remorse...

TrueBlueLS

Rough_Rock
I went out and bought my SO an engagement ring last weekend. Over the past week of trying to decide what would be the best and least suspectful way of proposing, I've been having buyer's remorse with what I bought. The more I go through the forum, especially the "Show me the bling" thread, I wonder if I really got my money's worth or could do better or just buy better. Another partial reason is that the place I purchased the ring from screwed up the financing (12 months same as cash) and still have not come to me with a resolution. It makes me feel like I should return it and hold off until I have the cash in hand a few months down the road. So here's where I come to you.

Untitled_4.jpg

Price: $1,746
Ring Composition: 18K white gold with platinum 4 prong
Diamond Shape: Princess (obviously)
Weight: 0.48 carat
Clarity: VS-2
Color: H
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Measurements: 4.06x4.01x3.24mm

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Which lab certified? GIA?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks lovely. What lab graded the stone?? Also- you said they s rewed up the financing... Does that mean you are paying interest on the ring?? If so I say return and start over with a vendor with beter policy- I think GOG does financing as wellnas BlueNile and buy one of heir AGS graded princess cut stones. No need to pay interest!!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, start over you can do better with the financing and the size of the rock for the price!

TrueBlueLS

Rough_Rock
The paperwork from the ring is from GS Laboratories which from what I'm starting to read isn't the greatest. I think I'm taking frankiextah and Dreamer_D's advice and returning it tomorrow.

CedarRapids

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations on taking that BIG step towards proposing!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, just looking at the measurements of your stone, it seems to be very deep for it's weight. It is not facing up at the size it should. Most half carat princess stone measure around the 4.4-4.5mm range not 4mm. Return it!

TrueBlueLS

Rough_Rock
Asscherhalo_lover|1313958706|2995871 said:
Also, just looking at the measurements of your stone, it seems to be very deep for it's weight. It is not facing up at the size it should. Most half carat princess stone measure around the 4.4-4.5mm range not 4mm. Return it!

Will be returning on my first day off which is Tuesday. Is there a good place to find out more about the dimensions of princess cut diamonds?

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
you can always give us a budget for the diamond and the setting and we can help you find one =)

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I'm relieved that you're going to return it. I think it's great that you're willing to keep on working towards a better ring. Your fiance is very lucky!

TrueBlueLS

Rough_Rock
minmin001|1313967716|2996011 said:
you can always give us a budget for the diamond and the setting and we can help you find one =)

If I could keep it within $2,000-2,500... I'd be pretty happy. My SO is pretty easy going and would not want to see me go into crazy debt over a ring. I'd still like for her to have something nice though.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The easiest way for me to at least know that the diamond will look it's carat weight in size is to calculate the depth percentage. I do it by averaging the length x width, in your diamond's case this is 4.01x4.06. This gives me 4.035. Then I take the depth, 3.24 and divide it by 4.035, which gives me 80.297% depth.

Here is a pricescope chart on princess cuts which shows measurements which can help you choose a princess that will at least face up for it's weight. https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-grading-chart-princess

I have dealt with this before with a princess. There is nothing more annoying than paying good money for a diamond that should face up at 4.4mm for it's size and getting one that faces up at only 4mm. My first ER was a princess that was .80cts and, I later learned, only faced up as big as a well cut .60cts. Needless to say, we did a return and bought my current ER elsewhere. I went from buying at a B&M store to buying online and I have never gone back!

I would advise letting the prosumers here help you. Even if you decide to go with the jeweler you are returning to get the diamonds stats, all of them, and post them here for advice. Good luck!

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
TrueBlueLS|1313976503|2996161 said:

If I could keep it within $2,000-2,500... I'd be pretty happy. My SO is pretty easy going and would not want to see me go into crazy debt over a ring. I'd still like for her to have something nice though.

And you want a princess cut diamond like the one you bought right?

TrueBlueLS

Rough_Rock
minmin001|1313977947|2996189 said:
TrueBlueLS|1313976503|2996161 said:

And you want a princess cut diamond like the one you bought right?

Correct.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-2675097.htm
this seems like a beautiful princess and with PS discount it's about $1919 if you do wire transfer

and can go with either one of those classic simple setting which will get you below $2500 with no tax if you don't live in TX

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/4-prong-tiffany-style-solitaire-engagement-ring-587.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/4-prong-tiffany-style-solitaire-engagement-ring-for-princess-8.htm

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
although this do require you pay in full up front. diamond and metal price has been going up crazy these few years so it may be over $2500 by the time you save $2500 in few months =(

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
I'm liking some of the suggestions here, they are going to result in a very nice ring for your SO.

Sometimes buyers remorse happens for a reason. I hope you get something you both will love, congrats on your upcoming proposal!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you are making the right decision in returning and starting over. It will get you a better stone for your budget.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I'm going to lay this out there, even though it might not be wise.

You know what your finances are like. And everyone is different. For me, when we did my upgrade right before the wedding money was tight. Prices were skyrocketing. I knew what I wanted, but didn't have the cash on had due to the wedding. I used my credit card company - they had a transfer/cash advance offer of 0% till sometime next year. I did the cash advance. There was a small fee, but considering how prices on stones/metal have gone up since then we saved a ton of money. Now we are paying it off interest free. Of course the DISADVANTAGE to this is that if you don't pay it off in time you will get slammed with fees. That isn't a risk for us as the financed portion wasn't that big. Just enough to bump up to what we wanted. And I'm so glad I did cause the prices are out of control.

I'm not advising you to do this. I'm just sharing my story. The way prices are going up right now is scary. Just this weekend i was thinking about the people that are out there getting ready to propose and the sticker shock that must be going on. lol.

With that being said yay for returning the ring!!! Tell us what you are looking for and we can help you find the best deal and get something that will truly be a good buy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results