shape
carat
color
clarity

having a ring made with asscher cut (square emerald)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dtufo

Rough_Rock
I''m having the attached ring made or something close to it, how involved in this should i be? I have given a copy of the ring to my jeweler (the jeweler I feel most comfortable with anyways out of all the ones i''ve been too). Do I just sit back and wait for him to call?

He didn''t have the rock i wanted yet and is in the process of getting one approx G 1.05 carats or so VS in clarity. I think I need to go back to him and tell him not to set the stone until I see it and approve it. I trust the guy but this is my money in the end eventhough I haven''t put any money down or signed anything so if i don''t like how it comes out I am not under any obligation as they said "they are diamonds we can sell diamonds if you don''t like your ring"

I''m scared the band won''t turn out like the one attached. I love this band and I think my gf will as well. It''s simple yet a little different with the reverse pinch. He gave me a price of 750 for the band, he doesn''t think he''ll get the .32 carats though, but still something similar for 2grand less, plus i saw this band for 4500 in another store and I can get a higher quality diamond for the center.
I''m getting the same rock so you if your like me you''ll think it''s an awesome ring.

http://www.icestore.com/rings/ring_detail.asp?ID=15

reena

Ideal_Rock
the setting is beautiful. one of my favorites for an asscher.

but what do you mean when you say that he doesn''t think he''ll "get the .32 carats"? does that mean you will have the setting in all platinum but with no diamonds set in it?

dtufo

Rough_Rock
He''ll have diamonds on the side just not amounting to the .32 carats he''s not sure if he''s got a band thick enough to get up to .32. Although I hope he can find a band thicker than he showed me, I told him I really wanted a thicker band than what he was using as an example I''d rather have a guy i trust make it than someone I don''t feel comfortable with.

Oh yeah it''s being made at Hefez and Sons in Boston. If anyone has any comments on them let me know.

I originally wanted princess cuts on the sides and a princess in the middle in that style but he said that would not come out right so I went with Rounds on the side and the Asscher

reena

Ideal_Rock
if you type "hefez" into the seach box above you''ll pull up some posts with some positive feedback about the company.
1.gif

if i were you i would just explain to the jeweler that you would like to have some way to know what the setting is going to look like before he makes it. then see what he says. perhaps he can draw you a sketch indicating the various dimensions, show you a wax mold of the setting before it''s actually made (depending on how the ring is made he may or may not be able to do that), etc etc. that way you can make alterations before it''s too late.

i think if you communicate with the jeweler and prepare yourself for the setting to look similar, but not identical, to the one you posted, you''ll be fine. good luck!

dtufo

Rough_Rock
He did draw me a sketch and he has a hard copy of the ring in the website, so i am confident I have explained what I want. I haven''t put any money down or signed anything so if it turns out not to be what I want I don''t have any obligation but it just delays my proposal time.
I just met with him today (had met previously with hime and had a different design in mind) and I''m anxious to get the ring as soon as possible I know it will take time.

I was blown away when I showed him the setting I wanted and knew it was 2800 bucks and he said 750.

I really hope it turns out as nice as the one in the website. If his custom version doesn''t turn out how I want I might look to the net to buy the setting and then a diamond online as well and have someone set the diamond does anyone know what that costs?

reena

Ideal_Rock
if you were to buy both the setting and the diamond online, im not sure why you would need a third party to set the stone?
33.gif

$750 does seem like an incredible price for that setting (although IMO the icestore version is overpriced).

mostlywatching

Rough_Rock
I had my ring custom made at Hefez and Sons, by Joe. I love it, the stones and that workmanship are beautiful and Joe was great to work with, just to reiterate what (I think) I''ve posted before.

dtufo

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the input, I have searched on here and seen great feedback on them. I''m working with Jay who has been great. I''m anxious and excited and scared to see what Jay creates for me.

dtufo

Rough_Rock
bump

please give me feedback

reena

Ideal_Rock
what kind of feedback are you looking for?
33.gif

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
You should be very involved. One the ring is cast in metal, that''s it. Some minor tinkering will be possible, but not much. Stay in frequent contact with the person making the ring, draw pictures, make HIM draw pictures, make sure you see the wax before you give your final okay. Put the diamonds in the wax and put the wax on your finger so you can get a feel for what the finished product will be. Communication is CRITICAL in a custom project. I love the setting you''ve picked out, and as an Asscher owner myself I think the final product will be beautiful.

dtufo

Rough_Rock
so i''ve gone back to my jeweler and confirmed some things for my own sanity.
They have assured me that when they find some settings that they think match what I am looking for they will call me to come in and look at them, they also won''t put the channel set diamonds in until they show me as well. and i will be shown some options for the center rock and have final approval before it is set. (although I still haven''t put any money down or put anything in writing so if I didn''t like the final outcome I have no liability).

puts me a little more at ease, i wasn''t sure how this whole thing worked if i gave them the picture of what i wanted and then they went to work or how involved.

i want to be involved as much as possible but I don''t want to become a pain to the jeweler

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I''m a little confused about how the ring is going to be made. The Icestore stone is paved, but it sounds like your new ring will have channel-set stones?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results