shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you moved on?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I know that Pricescope tends to be ahead of the curve on jewelry styles. Since I''ve been "on board" styles and sizes of rings have changed quite a bit, as has what I find attractive. I just recently surfed through the Engagement Eye Candy thread starting back in 2004, when I joined. What an evolution!!

Have your tastes changed since starting here on Pricescope?

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
I''d have to say that mine have not changed since joining PS. I''ve always loved all types of jewelry and diamonds. I''m also a fan of yellow gold and there''s not too much of that around here. White metals look great on other people but not me
3.gif
I do crave an upgrade but I know that it''s not possible anytime soon so I live vicariously (sp?) through my friends here
2.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Definitely - great question. I back in 1999, when I first got married, I wanted a Lucida or asscher in an x-prong setting. Later I moved on to liking other types of solitaires, or 3-stone trellis settings, and I always wanted a channel-set wedding band.

Now, after being on PS for 2 years, I have started really liking micropave and shared prong settings, which I never liked before. I even traded my square-cut stone for a H&A RB, which I would have never done before seeing the H&A pics on PS. I have even considered putting my RB in a halo for my reset, after seeing all the beautiful halos on PS, but I probably won''t because I''m not sure they look good on my hand.

So, yes, my tastes have definitely changed. I think that''s why I''ve had such a hard time deciding how to reset my RB. It seems like every 2 years or so I like a new style, and when I do my reset, I want it to be my "forever" setting. Maybe after I finally do my reset I need to stop looking at the SMTR thread
emsmilep.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
3/18/2009 10:08:49 AM
Author:Upgradable

I know that Pricescope tends to be ahead of the curve on jewelry styles. Since I've been 'on board' styles and sizes of rings have changed quite a bit, as has what I find attractive. I just recently surfed through the Engagement Eye Candy thread starting back in 2004, when I joined. What an evolution!!

Yes. I used to like only the smallest, daintiest pieces of jewelry in traditional metals (mainly 14K and 18K yellow gold and platinum) and the largest diamond I could tolerate wearing on my hand was a 1.25 carat. Now, although I would not wear these pieces on every occasion, I experiment with pieces of designer high karat gold jewelry (mainly 24K gold jewelry) as well as custom made 24K jewelry. I have a set of 24K gold bangles, for instance.

I have also been contemplating whether to save for a diamond of over 3 carats to wear as a solitaire instead of the 1.67 carat that I currently wear. (I once before attempted to wear a larger stone-a stone of just over 2 carats-on my hand and could not do it. It looked vulgar to me. I had to have it set into a pendant and put on a necklace. Now I think I could happily wear a stone larger than 2 carats on my hand!)

Thank you for asking this question, Upgradable!

AGBF
34.gif

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Yes, my tastes have changed since reading PS. I was never a RB person. But since learning so much on PS, I have so much respect for a
perfectly cut RB. And solitaires. I now see them as the perfect setting for an incredible diamond.

PS makes making up one''s mind soooo hard!

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
Sure. I liked the princess cut but then came to appreciate the classic round with it''s sparkles. Plus, I have a scar from a pointy princess corner...ouch. I now prefer simple settings but mix it up with different band combo''s. For awhile I loved chunky settings, now they remind me of class rings :). I think everyone''s tastes change. I do think cushions are beautiful and if it weren''t for this board I would have never known they existed.

Looking through the posts on here is better than ANY fashion, jewelry magazine out there.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I love all the eye candy.

6 years ago all I wanted was a princess cut... and that was maintained for several years... then I fell in love with RBs. On here, I wait for new big juicy pears, as that is my new passion.... also, I discovered that I am insatiable when it comes to new and sparkly things... so I definately need the eye candy folder!
9.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Huge disclaimer: Please do not take any comments on personal taste to be judgements on what is beautiful/ugly or desirable/undesirable. I just wanted to open up a thread that talks about the evolution of our own personal styles!

I am certainly NOT a young bride, and styles have certainly changed since I got engaged in 1986. But there are times over the years that I have been swayed by styles, although my personality has always shown through in the things I''ve ultimately chosen to wear.

Simplicity, classic styles with a twist, have always drawn me. I love vintage, but I''ve moved away from the ultra-paved styles toward pieces with just a bit of milgraining or decoration. I''ve found that, for me, less is more. The more people that have a particular style, the less I find it personally attractive.

I LOVE a good solitaire, but there has to be a slight twist on the classic.

And NOTHING tops the personal performance of a stone!! Not size, color, or clarity. IT MUST SPEAK TO ME!!!!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think my tastes have changed per say, however I think my tastes and tolerances have expanded a bit since joining PS. I''ve always been into classic and antiquey styles, but I''m starting to like the look of more modern and streamlined pieces.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My tastes haven''t changed. I always liked to keep things fairly simple and I still do.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been a member since last May. I was in love with rounds AND emerald cuts, and I still am! Now, I''m also a huge fan of older cuts and colored stones. I''m also way more drawn to really great workmanship, in the cutting of a stone AND the making of a setting. I recut my diamond when I found pricescope, and imperfections in my setting bother me sometimes, but not enough to ever change it.

As far as trends go, I don''t think I have a set style. I will NEVER trade in my round solitaire, but my right hand is open for whatever. I''ll take one of everything please!

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve often wondered about this too with all the choices and styles as they come and go. I think for me my favs are still eternity bands, plus simple classics as far as other jewelry goes like diamond studs, DBTY chains, tennis bracelets, or bangles with diamonds. As for the "ring" that''s where I still have to say that my tastes are not set in stone. Halo, no halo (I do not have a halo, but I love them). Fortunately I get to see lots of fabulous rings on daily basis which makes me realize that my preference is definitely vintage platinum in dainty settings with small diamonds, larger centers. Once in awhile there will be a stunning ring come my way that is amazing for it''s style, not necessarily it''s size.
6.gif
~ My favorite ring of all time is Reena''s from way back when, that is what got me hooked here.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2009 11:13:48 AM
Author: cnspotts
I've often wondered about this too with all the choices and styles as they come and go. I think for me my favs are still eternity bands, plus simple classics as far as other jewelry goes like diamond studs, DBTY chains, tennis bracelets, or bangles with diamonds. As for the 'ring' that's where I still have to say that my tastes are not set in stone. Halo, no halo (I do not have a halo, but I love them). Fortunately I get to see lots of fabulous rings on daily basis which makes me realize that my preference is definitely vintage platinum in dainty settings with small diamonds, larger centers. Once in awhile there will be a stunning ring come my way that is amazing for it's style, not necessarily it's size.
6.gif
~ My favorite ring of all time is Reena's from way back when, that is what got me hooked here.
Hey there!!! Another "golden oldie" checking in! Glad to see you Spotts!!

Something I never considered before Pricescope is having a piece custom made! I never knew you could do that. I just assumed you had to shop in stores until you found the setting you loved, then had your stone set in it.

Now, I cannot imagine buying a stock piece when I've found how easy and surprisingly affordable to work with someone to design or customize a setting to match exactly what I want!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Oh, absolutely. When I first came to PS, I wanted an RB in a halo. I then moved to an RB in a sparkly solitaire, realizing later I preferred a classic RB/plain platinum/wedding band combo.

Now that I've had time to wear them all and really reflect on what I love and what makes me comfortable, I'm thinking I want to build a collection of sparkly bands to be worn depending on how I feel at that particular time. Well, that's the ideal, anyway. This option seems to suit my personality and lifestyle better.

ETA: I wanted to add that my shift in taste is less about what's "in," I think, and more about experience. I wasn't a big jewelry gal before PS and while I have a cute little collection now, I'd never experienced what it was like to wear an engagement ring/wedding band combo. Now that I have, I know what I (think I) really want versus what looks good to me (which is a lot- I like a wide range of styles from antique to modern...on others! And maybe for RHRs.
2.gif
)

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Another evolution since joining Pricescope is the constant need to "adopt" stray sparklies. It''s a sickness, I tell you!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My tastes have definitely changed, not really as far as style and metal, but diamond shapes. I used to think rounds were IT, the be-all and end-all, and I would never have considered any other shape. Now I drool over step cuts and pears the same way I did over RBs. I think PS taught me how to be non-discriminatory towards diamond shapes!

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Definitely--I have fallen in love with asschers & OECs since joining! Actually, I never was super into diamonds (always thought I''d want a gemstone) and that has changed since learning more about them.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I do think my tastes have changed, but I''m not sure if that''s just from being on PS (although I''m sure it helps me think about sparklies more than I otherwise might
2.gif
). But I think its natural for tastes to change over time, especially when (like me) you hadn''t really thought much about diamonds or "real" jewelry before getting engaged.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
My tastes haven''t changed (step cuts still trump brilliant cuts), but I have a new appreciation for warm stones. Paricularly warm vintage stones. I fully intend to own a K-M colored OEC, OMC, tranny or antique cushion one day.

I also have a new appreciation for gemstones--it''s unfortunate that most of the gemstones you see are dark, flat and poorly cut. I''m so glad that PS has allowed me to see beautiful gemstones in all their glory!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes and no...

In 2003 when I started lurking, it was because I wanted to find an alternative to the Lucida ring. My current e-ring is a Jeff Cooper setting (designed for a princess) and has a modern brilliant cushion in it.

I still love the ring especially when it''s on my hand. It''s simple and sleek in person. I no longer ooh and ahh when I see photos of similar settings (trellis or otherwise) on PS, but I do still believe they have lovely impact in person.

Then the halo craze started and I still think those rings have a lot of visual impact in person. I quenched that thirst by getting a David Yurman petite albion ring. And I discovered I''m really not a halo girl at all. I''m kind of OD''d on them.

I love milligrain rings. Quenched that one with my latest acquistion - Beaudry. I love the ring, but I think I''m not really an ornate ring kind of girl, actually!

So my latest thing is bezels. I''ve always loved them, but I think this too, will pass. Old cuts are a new love for me too, because I find I prefer fire vs brilliance in a diamond.

Which brings me back to my e-ring. After all my "phases", I still love it. I don''t get sick of wearing it. If I had to say one thing that I would do now that I wouldn''t have done then (with reference to taste) is that I would have chosen a slimmer setting. Fat bands = tougher time sliding onto fat fingers. I would have also wanted to see more of the profile, since my appreciation of diamonds has grown. The recent sholdt setting on SMTR is something that I probably would look into now.

I guess my tastes have been refined, but they haven''t changed.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
My tastes change all the time. I seem to like almost everything I see! I think I am impulsive and will rush into a new setting without thinking it through. I am glad to be going back to a simple solitaire from a halo. My ideas now will be in the form of a right hand ring. I won''t mess with my wedding finger anymore!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My taste has remained focused on classic designs, like solitaires and simple stud earrings. My preference is still for round brilliants.

The only two new cuts I've discovered that I LOVE are cushion cuts and OECs.

Seeing so many rings makes me more inclined to think before purchasing to avoid buying anything significant that would be dated in 10 years from now.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not really. I always wanted a gemstone, and in the year and five days it took FI to propose that I was on PS, that hasn''t changed at all. What did change was me wanting an oval vs. the round, and wanting blue topaz (which I still adore) and learning about spinel--which I never would have known about if it weren''t for PS.

My taste in settings really hasn''t changed though. Simple, sleek and no diamonds.
3.gif

Oh, but I do have a little bit of an unhealthy (for my bank account) gemstone addiction now.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2009 1:31:55 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
My tastes haven't changed (step cuts still trump brilliant cuts), but I have a new appreciation for warm stones. Paricularly warm vintage stones. I fully intend to own a K-M colored OEC, OMC, tranny or antique cushion one day.

I also have a new appreciation for gemstones--it's unfortunate that most of the gemstones you see are dark, flat and poorly cut. I'm so glad that PS has allowed me to see beautiful gemstones in all their glory!
Oh yeah... Good point! I forgot to add that I'm deifintely a fan of WARM stones since finding PS. Before I was fine with "near colorless" once I saw great looking H's and I's in person, but now I spend my time dreaming of K's and M's and the like. I just LOVE the color (at least the way it looks in pictures and videos!).

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My taste is constantly evolving and expanding -- but it doesn't tend to swing wildly to extremes. I think PS has expanded my taste more than changing it. For example -- my style tends to be more modern and simple. At one time I would have ruled out a milgrained piece as being too fussy -- now I see many examples where milgraining is the perfect adornment for a simple setting.

It's expanded my taste while deflating my pocketbook.
14.gif

Great question!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I used to appreciate small badly cut diamonds. Now I want big ones that are well cut!!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
My ering is based on the trellis setting of the Lucida. I still really enjoy the style, though if I had been on PS longer before I got it I would''ve had them make the shank slimmer and the prongs more delicate (maybe claw prongs?). Though overall, I still love the style and it''s very me. PS did influence me to change the side stones from channel set to bead set shortly after seeing the channel set, so I''m very glad of that. Something was just off about the channel set for this ring, and I wouldn''t have figured out how to fix it without PS.

More than changing my style, PS has opened me up to many many new styles that I would love to own as RHRs and other pieces of jewelry. Things I wouldn''t have considered for my ering have become very attractive as RHRs.

I originally loved cushions, and still do, though I have gained a much greater appreciation for OECs like the one I have (inherited, not chosen). At first I didn''t know what I had, but now I can fully appreciate it and want to get more some day
1.gif
I would not have realized the specialness of what I had without PS.

I''ve only been a member for 9 months or so ... my answer could change over the next few years, but I think I''m pretty set in my style choices in general.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was first on PS, the largest size I could imagine wearing was a 0.75 RB, which I thought was very large. Now I aspire towards a 2.5 (bad for the wallet).

I started out loving the shared prong style rings, then got over that and now I''m in the classic-with-a-twist phase, along the lines of the MWM Torchiere. I still love pave, though, so I haven''t quite decided on a "forever" setting yet. I waffle between wanting a more simple solitaire and one with some pave. Fortunately, it''ll be many years before I''ll need to decide, and in that time I''m sure my tastes will change again.

Like many others, I''ve discovered new cuts that I love: cushions and old cuts. I''d never have known about these if not for PS.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have always swung radically back and forth between simple, classic settings and total bling-a-rama. And while I chose a simple setting for my wedding ring (and a colored stone), I indulged the bling-a-rama tendency in my right hand rings.

What has changed significantly are the shapes & cuts I like. I never liked pears and thought ECs were a waste of stone and now I love them both. Don''t know why that changed but I''ve been hankerin'' for a headlight sized EC or pear for about 2 years.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Since joining PS I found a passion for plat and full eternity bands.
I scratched that itch (many times over
20.gif
) and although love my full eternities I don''t have the same passion. You don''t see the back, yes it is cute to have diamonds everywhere but I get muck in the underside sometimes, worry that I might bang the band and one or two of them are scratchy.

I loved it. Bought it. Bought it some more. Found issues. Moved on.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results