shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you had a change of feelings about your E-ring

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
since you got it?

I'm not really talking size. I know we have upgraders in the lot. But a lot of upgraders knew they wanted bigger when they go their original stone but budgets and other things interfered. I'm talking your feelings about the shape/faceting pattern (like you had an RB but now have n OEC) or other aspects-- like you had an H but now love an M.

Have you feelings changed and what have you done, or not done about it.

I originally resented the small face up of my asscher (although to be fair mine has great spread for it's weight) and the way it draws your eye inward. And I really regretted not getting a cushion or a Jubilee ( I didn't know they existed at the time I asked for an asscher) as my first love was the Lucida (but I wasn't paying 12k for a one carat Lucida 8 years ago). But I played with the settings of it and now I really adore my ring and would not change it even if given the chance. My halo 'fixes' the draw you eye inward problem of the asscher and the 2mm plain shank really sets off the stone maximizing the size.

So... I went fro disliking my stone to loving it by finding just the right setting design for it.

Your turn. :appl:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have conflicting thoughts about my ring (well, the stones, not the setting). I love that my husband and I worked together to find just the right setting. I know I focused much more on the setting than I did on the center stone we chose, and now I wish I had put more thought into the diamond. I was very new to PS and I was so excited to be looking at diamonds that I think we got the first one WF sent us. I loved it at the time, but now I wish I had a different one (it's a RB but not an H&A). As for the sides, I've never been completely happy with those. They're smaller and more narrow than what I'd ideally like.

If I could, I'd upgrade to larger stones and get either an H&A RB or an OEC for the center. I hadn't really known about OECs at the time, but I love them now. I'd also love to check out cushions. That was another one I hadn't known much about but now wish I had.

mogster

Shiny_Rock
Kind of. I have a HW "The One" replica and had always wanted it since I started looking at engagement rings for fun many years ago. Now that I see the style more and more in jewelry stores and in magazines, I'm worried that it'll eventually be dated (like how certain shapes are reminiscent of certain decades). I had wanted something different, and it was different when I first saw it, but now, as much as I love my e-ring, I sometimes think about how it might be nice to have gotten something a little bit different:

I also wish I'd gotten an ASET to know how the light return compares, but it's too late, and I don't care to purchase a scope just for this purpose.

singlestoneringpricescope.jpg

kaboodle.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1337298524|3197819 said:
I have conflicting thoughts about my ring (well, the stones, not the setting). I love that my husband and I worked together to find just the right setting. I know I focused much more on the setting than I did on the center stone we chose, and now I wish I had put more thought into the diamond. I was very new to PS and I was so excited to be looking at diamonds that I think we got the first one WF sent us. I loved it at the time, but now I wish I had a different one (it's a RB but not an H&A). As for the sides, I've never been completely happy with those. They're smaller and more narrow than what I'd ideally like.

If I could, I'd upgrade to larger stones and get either an H&A RB or an OEC for the center. I hadn't really known about OECs at the time, but I love them now. I'd also love to check out cushions. That was another one I hadn't known much about but now wish I had.

Zoe honey, have you asked WF about trading your stone in for an OEC. Regular jewelers can get OECs in. I know ID can. Also if you want, you can ask GOG if Jon wants your diamond and will let you trade it or buy it from you and put the money toward an OEC (I know Jon can get OECs). What size is your RB center?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
mogster|1337298942|3197827 said:
Kind of. I have a HW "The One" replica and had always wanted it since I started looking at engagement rings for fun many years ago. Now that I see the style more and more in jewelry stores and in magazines, I'm worried that it'll eventually be dated (like how certain shapes are reminiscent of certain decades). I had wanted something different, and it was different when I first saw it, but now, as much as I love my e-ring, I sometimes think about how it might be nice to have gotten something a little bit different:

I also wish I'd gotten an ASET to know how the light return compares, but it's too late, and I don't care to purchase a scope just for this purpose.

You can always wait till it's tie to re-appraise (you should reappraise every 3 to 5 years and ask for an ASET then. Also Beverly K can modify one of their similar settings to match that setting you love for under 2k. Just a thought. And then you can get a colored stone for your HW setting.

mogster

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy said:
You can always wait till it's tie to re-appraise (you should reappraise every 3 to 5 years and ask for an ASET then. Also Beverly K can modify one of their similar settings to match that setting you love for under 2k. Just a thought. And then you can get a colored stone for your HW setting.

Thanks for the suggestions! I think you're in my neck of the woods and so I will have to consult you for appraiser recommendations when the time comes.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I totally had a change of heart about my original e-ring.

My original e-ring was a 2 ct modern cushion set in a platinum eternity band. I loved the ring but it was so, SO modern, and I'm just not a super modern gal.

Shortly after our engagement I told my jeweler to keep an eye out for antique cushions. This was a long time ago, probably somewhere spring 2007, fall 2008. He found a couple antique cushions over the years but none of them made my heart sing. Then, he found *the one* at some point last school year (I think it was in the spring semester--sorry, I measure my life by semesters) and I traded in my original e-ring for it and a totally new setting. I'm so happy I made the change, and I haven't regretted it once, not for even one second.

I really did love my original stone even though it totally wasn't up to PS cut standards. I looked at a lot of modern cushions, and for whatever reason that one sang to me. But the overall style of the entire ring--stone to setting--just wasn't me enough. I much prefer my softer, more antique-looking upgrade.

DH didn't object to my changing the ring. He just wanted me to love whatever I wore.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
mogster|1337300977|3197856 said:
Gypsy said:

Thanks for the suggestions! I think you're in my neck of the woods and so I will have to consult you for appraiser recommendations when the time comes.

Of course. Even though we always recommend independent appraisers (and I stand by that) in the bay area I do trust Erik at Joe Escobar. He has an ASET and a SARIN and his appraisals are comprehensive and he doesn't care if you bought from him or not. He's very fair. Plus his appraisals are affordable too.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
"resented" the face up of your asscher, lol, that's funny. :lol:

My ring is sturdy. This in the face of all the halo, delicate, thin shanked rings that happened right around the time of my engagement. I admit, I sometimes got ring envy in the sense that I saw such much ART around here. Mine was...well, sort of industrial!

But I loved it and still do. Would not change a thing and my set makes my heart sing still. And a reason that I didn't expect to love was that it IS industrial. Sturdy and a workhouse, and I NEVER have to worry about the set. Plus I love that diamond more than anything. I didn't get DSS either, which is shocking!

I love art, and I love seeing the magnificient pieces around here. But I am and have always been a slow and steady wins the race kind of girl. My ring is ever faithful!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I have weird feelings about my engagement ring. On one hand, I'm really happy with everything about it as a whole (love the color of the diamond, happy with the clarity, price was right, it looks great to the naked eye), but on the other hand, I have something I wish I could change about every aspect (I bought it pre-pricescope, so it's not certified, the side stone sapphires are an incredible color but have horrible cut, the cut of the diamond could be better) etc.

In a perfect world, I would have my EXACT same ring, but would just tweak all of the little things to make a version 2.0 if you will. It's not a priority for me any time soon and I'm not sure that I'll ever change it to be honest since I can think of a lot of other things I could do with that money that would mean more to me, but it is something that bugs me :sick:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1337302066|3197881 said:

OMG. I re-read a post from when I first starting posting here. So much ANGST. Oy.[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/honest-thoughts-by-asscher-owners.44962/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/honest-thoughts-by-asscher-owners.44962/[/URL] My eyes rolled back into my head :rolleyes: at my own drama. Seriously. Resent is the only word that fits, and I can't deny it-- the written proof is right there. Page 3.

I remember your journey and your stone is gorgeous and frankly industrial is a bit of an overstatement. A Stalwart Classic.

Sonny, I know that feeling. The "I love the design but the execution..." that's how I felt about my Ocean halo. The prongs were just too big, the melee was larger than I wanted and there was only one melee in each corner instead of the two I had asked for (and that the sketch showed) and so it was more pillowy and not as octagonally. I have to say re-doing my halo is some of the best jewelery money I've ever spent. Never regretted that purchase. So, if it's in the cards for you... it might be something very satisfying for you too.

EDITED TO FIX LINK.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1337302722|3197896 said:
TravelingGal|1337302066|3197881 said:

OMG. I re-read a post from when I first starting posting here. So much ANGST. Oy. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/completed-perry-antique-cushion-with-custom-tacori-inspired.175500/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/completed-perry-antique-cushion-with-custom-tacori-inspired.175500/[/URL] My eyes rolled back into my head :rolleyes: at my own drama. Seriously. Resent is the only word that fits, and I can't deny it-- the written proof is right there.

I remember your journey and your stone is gorgeous and frankly industrial is a bit of an overstatement. A Stalwart Classic.

Sonny, I know that feeling. The "I love the design but the execution..." that's how I felt about my Ocean halo. The prongs were just too big, the melee was larger than I wanted and there was only one melee in each corner instead of the two I had asked for (and that the sketch showed) and so it was more pillowy and not as octagonally. I have to say re-doing my halo is some of the best jewelery money I've ever spent. Never regretted that purchase. So, if it's in the cards for you... it might be something very satisfying for you too.

:lol: LOVE it.

I'll have to read your thread later. I remember there was a bit of angst, but that seems SO long ago.......

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1337302722|3197896 said:

Ha, now, I will say this Gypsy... while I say I'd be happy with my EXACT ring just tweaking those little things...if I ever actually decide to pony up and invest in a new ring, I'm pretty sure the center stone will be getting a bump in size. When in Rome... ;-)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not really. I have had it 14 months now, and the things that bother me (the wonky prongs on the main stone, the darkness in the middle of the straight side of the half-moons) still bother me, and the things that I love, I still love. The things that bother me don't bother me TONS - if I could find someone local who could fix the prongs to PS standards, I'd do it, but I'm not going to ship it anywhere; if I could find Victor-Canera-quality half-moons (his work always has the most exquisitely bright half-moons), I'd swap mine out. But you know what? I am not all that fussy about prongs, and the half-moons are plenty sparkly/fiery. They aren't perfect, but they also aren't the focus of the ring, and I can deal with a little imperfection, especially when I know only I and PSers will notice it. And also since I think my fiance would be against changing the sidestones. And also since it would be a lot of money for something will, judging from pictures, only minimally change the appearance of things. Maybe one day, but it's not high on my list of priorities. I ADORE my main stone. Every now and then I have a crisis of faith about it but it is always resolved with even more love for my center stone. I NEVER want to be without it. It's the perfect size - some days I think it looks a little small, but some days I think it looks a little big, and most days I think it looks just right. And I love the setting. The half-moons, even if they do not have perfect light return, are the perfect shape and help the sapphire stand out, the pave is perfect, and the ring is super-comfy and sparkly. I get an average of about one compliment a week on it from a stranger.

I started out disliking cushions - this stone just happened to be the right size and color, and you know with sapphires if I'd wanted to hold out for a round I could have been waiting another year, so I went with it - but now I like them. I have a few cushion colored stones and would consider a cushion diamond. I did also want a three carat sapphire originally, but eh. I'm not ever "upgrading" my ring - though if I found a great 3 ct sapphire and could afford it, my e-ring could always get a friend!

Since the Kate/Diana ring frenzy hit right after we picked out my e-ring, I wonder if my ring will look dated since it's a sapphire. But I've loved sapphires since I was a little girl and nothing else really seemed like the right thing. I've said this on several threads already but if I had known about old cuts when we were shopping for e-rings, it's possible I would have ended up with one. But I didn't discover them until months later. They're the only diamonds I can get really excited about. There are lots of other diamonds I like, but not ones I like more than my sapphire.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sonny, of course. LOL.

T-gal, you will get a laugh out of it. I'd like to think I've matured and mellowed a bit.

Distracts, your ring sounds just right. There are days I would like bigger, there are days I think Whoa that's big and there are days where I wish I'd told Steven to curve my shank a bit more. And yes, money permitting a friend would be lovely. You sound like you are a in a good place. And an old cut can be a good friend for a sapphire, somewhere down the road.

mogster

Shiny_Rock
Not sure if someone's caught it, but I think the link you (Gypsy) posted is to someone's recent SMTB thread.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1337304649|3197936 said:
mogster|1337304386|3197927 said:
Not sure if someone's caught it, but I think the link you (Gypsy) posted is to someone's recent SMTB thread.

Whoops. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/honest-thoughts-by-asscher-owners.44962/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/honest-thoughts-by-asscher-owners.44962/[/URL] Correct thread. Thank you. :oops: My anst is on the third page of the thread.

Ha, I expected it to be worse. And if you only knew back then what you know now...that you would have mad ebay skills and could get yourself a nice round for a song. Cake, eat it, done!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I think it's a colossal waste of money for being such a small stone. :(( I used to love it, but now I just hate thinking how much DH paid for it. I'd rather rock a big colored stone or something for half or 1/3 the cost. I can't find any halos I love, so I just don't know what to do with it really.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I have been married for 35 years and have always had a rb set in a solitaire. I finally have the best Tiffany repro made, IMO, but I changed to a less expensive GIA XXX diamond with SBF in order to try and sell my perfectly cut H&A stone so I could use the profit to do another project (and it is not sold so I cannot do another major diamond project until then). Sometimes I regret the switch just because I did love my other diamond. But I am happy with my ring.

The thing is, my taste is half classic, traditional, Tiffany, and the other half is antique...Beaudry, Bev K, Singlestone. I love my little sapphire Beaudry ring, but I still very much would like to have an AVC or AVR. Very hard decision as to whether I could give up an ideal rb which I have had all along to go to a different cut. Ideally I want both.

And I still adore that sapphire Singlestone ring that mogster posted...I still would use that setting for a colored stone or an AVC.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes and no. I do need to figure out how to set my OEC! I still can't decide

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
I had a complete change of feelings about my ering. My hubby tried his best to get me a beautiful set, and ended up going to a mall store, as many uninformed young men do. He got my ering set from Zales, it was a poorly cut .5 ct princess in a halo with a pave shank and matching pave wedding band. It was a very "trendy" style when we got engaged. At the time neither of us knew anything about diamonds so the quality didn't bother us. However, I always wanted a round solitaire, so I started looking after I got the green light from my hubby. Then I ran across PS, learned about different cuts and quality diamonds. So now I am getting an OEC solitaire. PS has helped me determine my more specific set of preferences and taste-old cuts and lower colors-which are not because they are trendy, it is what I truly enjoy and will continue to enjoy regardless of how the trends and polularities change. I just hadn't determined it until I was opened up to the wealth of knowledge PS had to offer. Even though I am getting a new set, I still have my original set. My original set is not my taste or good quality, I do still keep it in my jewelry box for sentimental reasons.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Love my ring, but wish I'd chosen a more durable setting.

I'm frustrated because I thought I HAD chosen a durable setting. And I'm super sentimental about my ring so I'd rather not wear it to avoid damage than change it. So it's extra frustrating for me.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1337306380|3197961 said:
Yeah, I think it's a colossal waste of money for being such a small stone. :(( I used to love it, but now I just hate thinking how much DH paid for it. I'd rather rock a big colored stone or something for half or 1/3 the cost. I can't find any halos I love, so I just don't know what to do with it really.

Honey. I'm only going to say this once. Your issue is that you are a bit penny wise and pound foolish. You keep going for economy settings and stock halos and three stones. If you actually invested in a really nice quality setting you'd see the difference and I think you would be happy. I wouldn't be happy with any halo but my own (and I wasn't). And with halos especially, the good ones cost, but it is the difference between love and hate. I've seen a lot of cheap halos and I wouldn't own any of them.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
NewEnglandLady|1337308750|3198000 said:
Love my ring, but wish I'd chosen a more durable setting.

I'm frustrated because I thought I HAD chosen a durable setting. And I'm super sentimental about my ring so I'd rather not wear it to avoid damage than change it. So it's extra frustrating for me.

Had that issue and had to replace my halo. Totally worth it. It sat in a box for a months because I was afraid of hurting it. I'm so happy I did. Highly recommend it. I look at it every day I wear it and the repair was worth it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skippy|1337307383|3197977 said:
Top contenders?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila, whatever happened with the prongs on your three stone? Did I miss more photos?

NEL, I was looking through the a thread talking about rings being too thin recently and saw the issue you had/have with your ring. I'm so sorry..that is SUCH a bummer and I wouldn't have thought it would tweak the way it did.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1337309554|3198020 said:
Laila619|1337306380|3197961 said:

Honey. I'm only going to say this once. Your issue is that you are a bit penny wise and pound foolish. You keep going for economy settings and stock halos and three stones. If you actually invested in a really nice quality setting you'd see the difference and I think you would be happy. I wouldn't be happy with any halo but my own (and I wasn't). And with halos especially, the good ones cost, but it is the difference between love and hate. I've seen a lot of cheap halos and I wouldn't own any of them.

Gypsy, you're totally right! :lol: But I am a cheapskate, what can I say? We more than have the money, but it kills me to think about spending 5 or 6k on a setting! :o That could be money for the kiddos' college fund. My main problem is the stone is just too small, and I'm a solitaire girl at heart. If I had a massive stone, I could put it in a cheapie stock solitaire and be thrilled with it. But since the stone is small, I can't wear it in a solitaire.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1337309812|3198025 said:
Skippy|1337307383|3197977 said:
Top contenders?
I second Gypsy's inqury. I think we need a thread for this :naughty: Can't wait to see what you have in mind, Skippy.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal|1337309828|3198026 said:
Laila, whatever happened with the prongs on your three stone? Did I miss more photos?

NEL, I was looking through the a thread talking about rings being too thin recently and saw the issue you had/have with your ring. I'm so sorry..that is SUCH a bummer and I wouldn't have thought it would tweak the way it did.

Tgal, the prongs have not been touched or fixed. Still pondering what to do with the darn thing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results