shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you ever unknowingly purchased a synthetic Sapphire or other CS?

Frost

Shiny_Rock
Trade
So I received the “natural” sapphire. Just at first glance (I know that’s not an accurate way of seeing whether it’s natural or not BUT) there is no way this stone is natural. It’s bubble gum pink under my indoor lights.

... I'm confused - are you wondering whether it's natural because of the color indoors?

Because it's a totally normal, common, standard color that medium pink sapphires show. And the ones with more pink actually go even pinker, and hot pinks turn into rubies in yellow light. There's nothing at all strange about the color itself on my monitor.

The report, on the other hand, well. Might as well not have one if they can't even spell corundum right.. :mrgreen:

I do see what looks like abraded facet edges in the second photo though and that might be a cause for concern. Glass filled corundum shows those because of the low hardness of glass; it's uncommon in natural stones (does happen, but very rarely and to a very small degree). If it was for a very low price on top of that - a 4 carat would be in thousands even if light pink - then yes, it's probably some funny business.

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No not really just the color, it just 'looks' fake, almost glassy. Again this is all just non technical stuff lol. And yea the report is a big :lol-2:. Interesting about glass filled.

Anyway, it's pretty, with only a tilt window, and only £35 so I am okay with it not being as described. Who knows maybe I will get a silver setting to put it in!

Frost

Shiny_Rock
Trade
At £35, the only way it could be natural/N+heated is if it fell of a truck methinks (and probably not even then). Costs tens of times that straight out of the mines.

That aside, if it's actual synthetic corundum, I'd even say it's not even a horrible deal. I bought a big 100-something carat Verneuill synthetic ruby once for about $30 and was flabbergasted to discover it was an actual real synthetic (totally expected it to be glass). I don't wear gems, but it was useful to see and it could easily be split into smaller stones to try new and risky cuts out on.

The other option is that it could be beryllium treated (or filled).

Also, the lab report. I actually went ahead and Googled the lab expecting to find nothing but they do have a website and a report search. The only problem is, the report search returns a useless "this is a valid certificate" without a photo/details. Helpful much. :roll2: Either a very fake lab, or a very fake report (or both?).

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
so does this clay go dry? where do I find this clay? We're not talking playdough, which of course is easy and cheap enough to get (hey just checking:lol::lol-2:)

Google translater - Muahahaha....

OK - best is the material they use for mineral items - not greasy and white...

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, pink sapphires can be very pink and even “clean” if heated BUT there are many more synthethics out there than “genuine”.
Strictly speaking the synthethics ARE Corrundum, they man make them out of the exact same material as natural sapphires.
However a natural, from the ground, 4 carat sapphire is worth a few thousand dollars and a man made one, $10.
The synthethics wear well and look pretty but aren’t natural.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
By "full synthetic" I meant glass/plastic. In my mind, lab-grown doesn't equal synthetic, but I guess that's subjective.

This is not subjective. It's simply incorrect. Synthetic, by definition, means lab grown (synthesized) material that matches the stone it is impersonating in chemical makeup. You have been using the word "synthetic" incorrectly. The word you want is "simulated", which means that it does not match the chemical makeup of the stone it is impersonating, and usually applies to glass. Of course, a simulated tourmaline or other stone could actually be synthetic corundum. I hope this makes sense to you.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just found out I did. :wall:
I had purchased my very first pre-loved finished piece of jewelry from Loupe Troop about a year ago. A lovely sapphire and diamond ring set in platinum. The ring was from a ps’er and came with an appraisal from a very well known retailer of estate pieces, so I foolishly didn’t investigate further. The appraisal was several years old, so I recently decided to send the ring off to AGL before taking it to get an updated appraisal from a local jeweler. Well, AGL called today to tell me the sapphire is synthetic. I could kick myself. This ring was over $2,000 and a rather large purchase for me.
I do believe the seller thought it was genuine, and I was given a return period, so this is on me. The good news is the setting is quite lovely and I likely have another CS that will fit in it, but it’s hard to swallow that I paid that much for just a setting.
I am mainly sharing this as a cautionary tale, but am also wondering if anyone else has had an experience like this?

So sorry to read of your experience. Great that the seller was responsive.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results