clarity

Have you ever slapped someone?

Have you ever slapped someone?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
The recent thread about Will Smith slapping Chris Rock upside his head at the Oscars made me wonder how common slapping really is.

Names of voters are not shown publicly in this poll. I was going to add "as an adult" and other details or qualifications, but I'll just leave explanations for posting below.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
A lot of posters (though not all) seemed to think the Oscar slap was 100% wrong, which made me think/guess that probably just about everyone has slapped someone at one time or another (though probably not at a formal, televised event!)

My husband just asked me what I was doing and I got a strange look when I said I was trying to think of everyone I've ever slapped. I think I have a total of about ten slappees. A few slaps given (and received!) in childhood, mostly sibling-related but a couple of fights with other kids too.

In adulthood, all I can think of are a couple of slaps to dates or boyfriends, back when "honor slaps" were a thing. I don't think they are any more. Oh, also a couple to my kids.

I can't say I'll never slap again because you never know but I probably wouldn't have the energy to bother with it lol.

ETA: Ah, I just remembered once I slapped a friend's boyfriend right after he slapped her. He caught up with me out in public months later and slapped me back. I guess that counts as childhood, teen years though he was an adult.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got slapped when I was little. By my parents only. It wasn’t pleasant. Times were different. I wouldn’t slap my kids if I had children but I don’t fault my parents.

I have never hit anyone. Well, maybe my sister when we were roughhousing when we were very young.
That’s it.

ETA I have thrown glassware against the wall and smashed it to bits when I got mad at Greg once. Decades ago. Lol then I cut myself amd passed out. Good times haha. I’ve never done that since. Lol I can be a hot head. But I draw the line at physical violence ie hitting someone.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ETA I have thrown glassware against the wall and smashed it to bits when I got mad at Greg once. Decades ago. Lol then I cut myself amd passed out.

I know I shouldn't laugh at this but I can't help myself. Epic drama queen fail dear missy.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know I shouldn't laugh at this but I can't help myself. Epic drama queen fail dear missy.

Haha I pass out at the sight of blood. Especially my blood. It was funny actually and we still chuckle about it.
Still happens to this day too. It’s called vasovagal syncope. Last time I was cutting avocado and well let’sjust say I ended up unconscious on the floor. Greg handles cutting the avocados now. :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Been hit by my parents yet never slapped because they are cautious about anything that might affect the head/brain. I have never been slapped by anyone either. I have not slapped anyone, not even my children for the same reason that I am cautious about head trauma, no matter how slight.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
What?! Eleven other votes so far and ALL are noes?

Hmm... I thought that would be pretty rare. Guess I stand corrected. :think:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's early yet. Give more days and we might get a fuller picture for the poll.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does during $eks count? :Up_to_something:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I was a child my mother slapped my face so hard she chipped my tooth. I also got spanked by my father with a belt. Those were the days.
When I had children I told my mother she was never to lay a hand on my children. She never did..

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I slapped a boyfriend that cheated on me. It was more drama than battery quite frankly. Does it make it Ok that I took him to bed immediately afterwards? Ah, the joys of being in your 20s.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I was just thinking about how things have changed. It used to be, where I lived anyway, that a child who didn't get spanked was considered spoiled, where it was typical for a girl who was cheated on or whose date tried something on her too much to slap him, and when fistfights were just considered guys being guys, no police intervention required.

My guess is one change is that serious violence has been brought to light more and it's made people re-think it all. (If anyone remembers, years ago the police often wouldn't even get involved in domestic abuse because they considered it family business).

And of course the huge increase in gun violence (USA). When you never know who might pull out a gun in response, you're probably far more likely to just keep your hands to yourself completely.

Idk, just my random thoughts.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And of course the huge increase in gun violence (USA). When you never know who might pull out a gun in response, you're probably far more likely to just keep your hands to yourself completely.

That is an excellent point. You just never know who is not in their right mind and can pull out a weapon. Same goes for nasty words. Not worth the risk. Too many volatile people in this country.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,
My mother slapped alot. If she got annoyed with us when we were out walking, she would say. "if you don't stop, I will slap you under that mailbox. I so wanted to tell her that I wouldn't fit under the mailbox, but I kept quiet, as I couldn't be sure she wouldn't try.

In the early days of our marriage my husband slapped me as I was making him breakfast. I reacted immediately by punching him in the stomach so hard he fell to the floor. I told him if he ever did that to me again I would kill him. And I would no longer ever get up to make him breakfast again. I didn't have to kill him, but I never made him breakfast again.

I still don't get upset if kids push each other and have a small fight. I think some of it is quite normal.

I hit my son once, and I felt really bad. He was 12.

Annette

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
My parents believed in some corporal punishment (primarily hard pinches). I can also be a hot headed but I don't believe in corporal punishment. Frankly, corporal punishment isn't necessary-I just take away their media (this has made them cry-not joking).

Last edited:

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont believe in hitting as a form of discipline. Never did it with my kids. Chris Rock isn't pressing charges, but it's not the first time he's dissed Jada at the Oscars. Will had the opportunity to come out on top here, instead he took the low road.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I slapped my daughter once when she was a teenager and said something filthy. It wasn't hard but it definitely shocked her. She never spoke like that (at least in front of me) again.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I slapped my husband while we were dating because he said something stupid about not wanting to get married. Not my best move, but obviously we made-up.
Never hit the kids because I didn't want to hurt them. However, there were SO many times I wanted to slap the crap out of them! :lol-2: Sassy little beasts.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just remembered one thing I did to my husband! We were first married..1974. I was making him breakfast. He made the comment that it was my job to do it. I turned around and hit him with the spatula. I didn’t make him breakfast again after that.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am embarrassed to say that I actually have slapped one person once. An old friend in our late teens after she used a racial slur. I was so shocked at both her words and my reaction to them. :(

ETA she forgave me and I her and we remained friends for a small time after.

mom2dolls

Shiny_Rock
My mom slapped me all the time, it was her go to. Once she smacked me so hard she broke my nose.
I have only slapped once - my ex husband. He hit our youngest when she was three so hard she wet the bed. I lost it! Needless to say we split shortly after that. No one touches my girls.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never slapped anyone but there were and are times when I really really really really want to.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Technically no? I tried, but he caught my hand. And I was so shocked at myself as I am so so so anti-violence. It kind of shook me out of it. I'm glad to be able to say that I haven't and I'm thankful that he didn't just clock me in the face instead of catching me! It could have ended much much worse.

Vera W

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Nope, I have never, but my Mother did it twice in defense of me as a teenager. She slapped an 18-year-old farmboy for calling me a racial slur and she slapped the Art teacher at school who made me do jumping jacks until I fainted. I had asthma and his punishment was in error for me, what he heard was said by someone else but he didn't believe me.
I am rather torn about Will Smith, I love the defense of his wife but maybe he should have done the "let's step outside" thing. Chris Rock handled it very well. It is so sad that Comedians can't be funny without drama.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was slapped across the face so many times as a kid I swore I would never do it to anyone else. Freshman year of college my daughter brought her roommate home for Thanksgiving. My daughter got herself into a huff and said some really mean and terrible things to both the roommate and I. She was totally out of control and I did sleep her across the face to shock her back into reality and because I was so angry at the things she said to me and the roommate. Only time I’ve ever done it.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Wow it really is eye-opening and saddening how pervasive abuse is; I’m so sorry that many of you had to endure being hit by your parents. My dad was abused badly and on a regular basis by his dad. As a result he swore never to lay a hand on his kids and he kept that promise. My mom yelled ALOT but never hit. I haven’t hit anyone before and wouldn’t (I hope). Just my opinion but my belief is if you hit your child you’re teaching him/her that it’s acceptable to hit.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have wanted to but never recall doing it.

Growing up, I remember my mom threatening to give us a ling gok and we would duck. But it was never more than a tap on the head with her knuckle. There was also a bamboo stick used for spanking...my brother and I would rush to our beds and bury our face in the pillows so we could pretend to cry when actually laughing in our pillows. So it was always much more emotional embarrassment than physical punishment. No wonder I was a brat growing up (and maybe still am :lol: )

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Noooo but there are so many people I really really really want to slap!!!! I rant and talk about slapping the sh*t out of so and so often.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was a child my mother slapped my face so hard she chipped my tooth. I also got spanked by my father with a belt. Those were the days.
When I had children I told my mother she was never to lay a hand on my children. She never did..

Sounds like my parents. I was always so scared to be around them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results