color
clarity

Have you ever seen one?

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Color change Bekily blue garnet....

Have you ever seen one cut en cabochon?

What about with asterism?

I've come upon a 1.42ct old stock and want to place a ballpark number on the cab but I can't find anything to compare it to. In fact, I can't even find a Bekily blue cut in cab form.

Can you? Have you ever seen one?

& I'd post it but the blue green daylight color is impossible to get a picture of.
The grape purple and magenta is easy though!

Color change Bekily blue garnet....

Have you ever seen one cut en cabochon?

What about with asterism?

I've come upon a 1.42ct old stock and want to place a ballpark number on the cab but I can't find anything to compare it to. In fact, I can't even find a Bekily blue cut in cab form.

Can you? Have you ever seen one?

& I'd post it but the blue green daylight color is impossible to get a picture of.
The grape purple and magenta is easy though!

The only blue color change garnet I've seen is the faceted Masasi material from Tanzania. I sort of missed out on it when there was that boom a few years back. Gorgeous! I'm really interested to see what you found (when you're ready). Sorry I can't help with the pricing!

toomuchB

Shiny_Rock
Thanks @Autumn in New England for mentioning in my thread that there was another post about this material. Maybe I can help, since I have been looking at Bekily garnets for a while.

I have not seen a cabbed one before. Asterism is possible in garnet but rare as you likely know. So if you found it in a blue CC garnet, thats very unique. I'd love to see it.

I bought and sold a few CC garnets before I decided to keep the one I did that I just posted. The most expensive ones are as 'alexandrite-like' as possible and as blue as possible (not too teal or violet), with cheaper ones being very dark and/or grayish, but may still show a strong CC under very specific lighting (e.g. direct pen light).

If you want quick pricing comparisons look here, but I don't think the quality is particularly good (you can filter to Bekily origin only)

This one is very good quality and similar to the one I bought. I think mine is a touch lighter (but still dark) because this one is cut deeper. I paid around the same price per ct.

@tucsontoddsgems on instagram has experience with both Bekily and Kenyan blue CC garnets. Worth sending a DM with questions - maybe he has seen a cab or star/eye CC garnet. He was very friendly to me.

Good luck!

Edited to add, I'm not sure being a cab would have a profound impact on price if its clean. It has a uniqueness factor (esp if with asterism) that can drive the price up, but only to an extent. The quality of color and color change has a far bigger impact. Thats my gut feeling at least. I'm no expert.

-toomuchB

Last edited:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Thanks @Autumn in New England for mentioning in my thread that there was another post about this material. Maybe I can help, since I have been looking at Bekily garnets for a while.

I have not seen a cabbed one before. Asterism is possible in garnet but rare as you likely know. So if you found it in a blue CC garnet, thats very unique. I'd love to see it.

I bought and sold a few CC garnets before I decided to keep the one I did that I just posted. The most expensive ones are as 'alexandrite-like' as possible and as blue as possible (not too teal or violet), with cheaper ones being very dark and/or grayish, but may still show a strong CC under very specific lighting (e.g. direct pen light).

If you want quick pricing comparisons look here, but I don't think the quality is particularly good (you can filter to Bekily origin only)

This one is very good quality and similar to the one I bought. I think mine is a touch lighter (but still dark) because this one is cut deeper. I paid around the same price per ct.

@tucsontoddsgems on instagram has experience with both Bekily and Kenyan blue CC garnets. Worth sending a DM with questions - maybe he has seen a cab or star/eye CC garnet. He was very friendly to me.

Good luck!

Edited to add, I'm not sure being a cab would have a profound impact on price if its clean. It has a uniqueness factor (esp if with asterism) that can drive the price up, but only to an extent. The quality of color and color change has a far bigger impact. Thats my gut feeling at least. I'm no expert.

-toomuchB

Thank you so much! That was incredibly helpful.

My cabs blue is definitely less inky, not like the tanzanite or sapphire blue CR example & more a blue green (which I happen to prefer, bluish-green/teals are my favorite color!) but it has lovely clarity, a full color change and a weak asterism in one corner.

Garnet is my birthstone, & I don't care how moody these bekily babies are, the color change can be so magical!

It'd be neat to see another bekily cc garnet cab though!
Please do come back here & post it if you ever find one!

Heres a snippet of the delicious grape color! If I can ever show the blue I'll post it but the lighting change is so subtle to produce the color and I think my camera hates it! Here you can also see a bit of her weak star in the corner. I was unsure of what I was seeing until I conferred with a friend who's a prestigious gem cutter & he confirmed that it's indeed an asterism.

Hopefully you find it neat to see even if it's not the highest quality! For $180, hopefully I didn't do too bad!

(Sorry for the snoring/nursing baby sounds lol!)

Last edited:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
The only blue color change garnet I've seen is the faceted Masasi material from Tanzania. I sort of missed out on it when there was that boom a few years back. Gorgeous! I'm really interested to see what you found (when you're ready). Sorry I can't help with the pricing!

I love your love of color Autumn! You're always so positive and truly get excited with each OP on their findings!
You're very sweet! & I have some of that Tanzanian Garnet melee from Yvonne! I think its lovely & have thought about using it to halo one of my cat eye Alexandrites!

Can you tell that I love color changing gems? :dance:

toomuchB

Shiny_Rock

My cabs blue is definitely less inky, not like the tanzanite or sapphire blue CR example & more a blue green (which I happen to prefer, bluish-green/teals are my favorite color!) but it has lovely clarity, a full color change and a weak asterism in one corner.

Garnet is my birthstone, & I don't care how moody these bekily babies are, the color change can be so magical!

Heres a snippet of the delicious grape color! If I can ever show the blue I'll post it but the lighting change is so subtle to produce the color and I think my camera hates it! Here you can also see a bit of her weak star in the corner. I was unsure of what I was seeing until I conferred with a friend who's a prestigious gem cutter & he confirmed that it's indeed an asterism.

Hopefully you find it neat to see even if it's not the highest quality! For $180, hopefully I didn't do too bad!

Quite a special stone esp due to the asterism.
I captured my blue one's colorway pretty well under cool LED light, maybe that will work for you.

I did find a cab just from a quick google search. It seems like a scam site (?) that stole CR's images (maybe she sold it a long time ago), and the pics and info were copy-pasted. So its like an unethical archive. See the last images, with her shop name.

If the copy-pasted text is accurate to the original listing, the stone was 1.83ct and 274$. Origin is not clear, says both Madagascar and Tanzania.

Please no one buy from this site. I think the images are stolen. Its just for reference.

**edited by moderator at request of OP**

Last edited by a moderator:

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
No, I've never seen one. I'd have grabbed it with both hands if I had. I would absolutely have paid your price for your stone. As they say on Antiques Roadshow, find me another one...;)2

Yours is fascinating. Not too dark, like typical CC garnets. And it has a star!

I do have a faceted stone. As with your stone, the blue-green daylight colour just doesn't photograph. Here's a demo I put together a while ago. Left as photographed, 'properly' balanced, right edited to match what I see.

Did I say, I love your new stone?

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Quite a special stone esp due to the asterism.
I captured my blue one's colorway pretty well under cool LED light, maybe that will work for you.

I did find a cab just from a quick google search. It seems like a scam site (?) that stole CR's images (maybe she sold it a long time ago), and the pics and info were copy-pasted. So its like an unethical archive. See the last images, with her shop name.

If the copy-pasted text is accurate to the original listing, the stone was 1.83ct and 274$. Origin is not clear, says both Madagascar and Tanzania.

Please no one buy from this site. I think the images are stolen. Its just for reference.

Thank you for that & so glad you let others know that that isn't a trustworthy site. It looks like they even copied her description/details on the stone; weird.

Also, im going to definitely try the LED trick. I just don't own any, so it's going to be something I have to order!

& Neat example too, but from a quick gaze it looks like this stone doesn't produce any blue color change.

It says it just goes from a purple to pink, which if so, I've been able to find quite a few of those similar color-changeing garnet cabs. So Im still curious if someone out there has a cab like mine!

Now all I want is one that is oval shaped and about 10cts! :lickout::tongue::Up_to_something:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock

It's super neat and I think pretty rare, as well. I've never seen any color change garnet cabbed as a regular schmo. It's beautiful that way!
*Oh, and I sorely miss the sound of baby snarfles, I haven't heard them in at least 14 yrs. Now they just ask for money.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
No, I've never seen one. I'd have grabbed it with both hands if I had. I would absolutely have paid your price for your stone. As they say on Antiques Roadshow, find me another one...;)2

I do have a faceted stone. As with your stone, the blue-green daylight colour just doesn't photograph. Here's a demo I put together a while ago. Left as photographed, 'properly' balanced, right edited to match what I see.
CCGarnetComp.jpg

Wow, yours is lovely! & Omg I basically see the same but mine looks like a smokey off-lavender shade on camera. It's very odd. I just think that cameras don't pick up on the daylight shift well.

Your blue is very blue and saturated! Mine looks a bit like alexandrite. Def blue green!

It was a lucky find! The man mainly dealt in agate & malachite slabs for lapidaries but was selling this as old stock. If I come across another itd be hard to pass it along but we can't be greedy! Lol

I love your love of color Autumn! You're always so positive and truly get excited with each OP on their findings!
You're very sweet! & I have some of that Tanzanian Garnet melee from Yvonne! I think its lovely & have thought about using it to halo one of my cat eye Alexandrites!

Can you tell that I love color changing gems? :dance:

Aren't you kind to say so... aww thanks for making me smile!! ::) I truly do get excited vicariously with others' purchases. lol And I just love your new cab (so clean!). It think you did really well... these are rare stones. Also, I could listen to that baby soundtrack all day.
littleangel.gif

It's super neat and I think pretty rare, as well. I've never seen any color change garnet cabbed as a regular schmo. It's beautiful that way!
*Oh, and I sorely miss the sound of baby snarfles, I haven't heard them in at least 14 yrs. Now they just ask for money.

lol Snarfles... that is THE perfect word. :kiss2:

CCGarnetComp.jpg

Wow this guy has almost a 100% color change... so gorgeous, Star. :shock:

toomuchB

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for that & so glad you let others know that that isn't a trustworthy site. It looks like they even copied her description/details on the stone; weird.

Also, im going to definitely try the LED trick. I just don't own any, so it's going to be something I have to order!

& Neat example too, but from a quick gaze it looks like this stone doesn't produce any blue color change.

It says it just goes from a purple to pink, which if so, I've been able to find quite a few of those similar color-changeing garnet cabs. So Im still curious if someone out there has a cab like mine!

Now all I want is one that is oval shaped and about 10cts! :lickout::tongue::Up_to_something:

I feel iffy about having that link there. I'm going to ask the mods to remove the link, even in the quoted post.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results