shape
carat
color
clarity

Have You Ever Seen a Setting Like This?

Voodoo Child

Shiny_Rock
Hello All,

My wife recently inherited some jewelry, and among it was this birthstone ring which belonged to her grandmother. I think it’s from the 1960s. Have you ever seen a setting where the stone is in an individual setting that then is affixed to the ring by a screw? I’m guessing these were inexpensive birthstone rings where the the owner could select their children’s birthstones and quickly have them fitted to the ring.
IMG_9268.jpeg IMG_9264.jpeg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that! What a cool concept.
I have some Thai princess rings where a screw and nut are used in the construction, but I have never seen this with individual stones.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is SO cool!

I have never seen anything like this before, but it makes sense that the setting was stock & you could customise.

jeaniefish

Shiny_Rock
These were called “Mother’s rings” and were very popular in the ‘60-70s time frame. Back in the early 70s, my sister and our husbands pooled our money to buy one for our mom , with each of our 4 birthstones. The gemstone settings used in your wife’s ring is really different but I’m fairly certain that this lovely ring was also a mother’s ring, possibly even held grandchildren’s birthstones as well.
P.S. My sister’s marriage didn’t last long. Removable stones would have been a good idea

Voodoo Child

Shiny_Rock
These were called “Mother’s rings” and were very popular in the ‘60-70s time frame. Back in the early 70s, my sister and our husbands pooled our money to buy one for our mom , with each of our 4 birthstones. The gemstone settings used in your wife’s ring is really different but I’m fairly certain that this lovely ring was also a mother’s ring, possibly even held grandchildren’s birthstones as well.
P.S. My sister’s marriage didn’t last long. Removable stones would have been a good idea

Thank you for the information! The box that the ring was in screamed 1960s, so I was thinking that’s when it was from. The inside of the ring is stamped 10K, so it’s definitely gold. Not sure what the individual settings or the screws are made out of.

jeaniefish

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the information! The box that the ring was in screamed 1960s, so I was thinking that’s when it was from. The inside of the ring is stamped 10K, so it’s definitely gold. Not sure what the individual settings or the screws are made out of.

You are welcome! I’m thinking that you are right about picking out the stones right there at the store and having them put in a ring. Our Mom’s ring was an order it and pick it up later project. We were so proud of that gift. I’m sure that your wife’s grandmother loved her ring as much as my mom did hers. Thanks for the trip back down memory lane.=)2

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is SO cool!

I have never seen anything like this before, but it makes sense that the setting was stock & you could customise.

took the words out of mouth there

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hello All,

My wife recently inherited some jewelry, and among it was this birthstone ring which belonged to her grandmother. I think it’s from the 1960s. Have you ever seen a setting where the stone is in an individual setting that then is affixed to the ring by a screw? I’m guessing these were inexpensive birthstone rings where the the owner could select their children’s birthstones and quickly have them fitted to the ring.
IMG_9268.jpeg IMG_9264.jpeg

do you know what i would do ?
look back over the family tree and work out who each stone 'belongs' to and tuck it on a wee piece of paper under the green cushiony thingy
then future generations get a little bit of grandma's family history

Voodoo Child

Shiny_Rock
do you know what i would do ?
look back over the family tree and work out who each stone 'belongs' to and tuck it on a wee piece of paper under the green cushiony thingy
then future generations get a little bit of grandma's family history

I love that idea! I’m going to suggest that to my wife.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's curious to me because the stones do seem to have prongs around them as well.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mother's rings were super popular back in the day, 1960s-80s.

And then in the 80s, rainbow stone rings were all the rage! I bought one myself!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results